• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R12GS Front Disc Brake Warranty Question

I own a 2011 R12GS that I purchased new from the dealership. The motorcycle is fantastic!
After about 2000 miles I started to feel the front brake surging. At 6000 miles the surge was very noticeable mostly at slow speed, light braking, while coming to a stop. Took the bike to the shop under warranty and they found the left front brake disc to not have the same thickness around the disc. The run out was just within spec but it was written up knowing the condition was progressively getting worse. BMW replaced the disc under warranty. Only the disc affected was replaced.

Now at 11000 miles (one year later) the same problem has come up again. Called the dealership to make an appointment. The service manager asked why both discs were not replaced the last time I was in since they are usually done in pairs? I said I had the same question? So, back to the shop I went and they found the same problem with the left disc. They feel the problem is the cast aluminum wheel not being square where the disc is bolted on. A left disc and new wheel is on order to fix the problem under warranty.

My question is this, should both discs be replaced? It does not make sense to me to have one disc with zero mileage and one with 11000 miles on it? I asked that both be replaced under warranty and they are asking BMW for approval? Also, should the brake shoes be replaced with only 11000 miles on them? The wear on both sets are wearing evenly.

For those of you more mechanically inclined, your opinion would be appreciated?

Thank you,
John

Can not authoritatively answer your questions but glad to see the warranty working. The service manager at my dealer even had my BMW riding boots replaced under warranty due to a break in the seam. He saw the break and told me he will get them replaced without me even asking. I have a hard time understanding some of the issues I read about here.

Regarding the disc, personally I would replace it even if I paid for that part myself. Of course I would try to get BMW to pay first. No good reason except to have everything new up front. Just MO!!

I would replace them both...why wouldn't the right disk suffer again since the wheel is not true?
Also, this is not news to me...my wife and I have had various brake disk pulsing issues since about 1978 on many different BMWs. I am not sure what their problem is. Seems like if it was the wheel being not true, then why did it take 20K miles for it to show up? In my case, new disks usually fixed the problem for however long I owned the bike.

Uh, not exactly.

Simply having a disc in service for a few miles means nothing. Measure it and inspect it- that will tell you if it has any issue. If it looks fine and measure OK then it is OK. (But also don't complain if they want to give you another freebie.)
The wheel might not be properly dimensioned at the rotor mount points but if dimensional issues are suspect, mounting a dial indicator and taking runout measurements at the rotor or rotor mounting locations should provide a definitive answer. Perhaps they did this before getting the new wheel- or maybe it was bad enough they could even see it without using a dial indicator. (Wheels can be bad as made or bent in use to create this problem)

Uh, not exactly.

Simply having a disc in service for a few miles means nothing. Measure it and inspect it- that will tell you if it has any issue. If it looks fine and measure OK then it is OK. (But also don't complain if they want to give you another freebie.)
The wheel might not be properly dimensioned at the rotor mount points but if dimensional issues are suspect, mounting a dial indicator and taking runout measurements at the rotor or rotor mounting locations should provide a definitive answer. Perhaps they did this before getting the new wheel- or maybe it was bad enough they could even see it without using a dial indicator. (Wheels can be bad as made or bent in use to create this problem)

Well, found out today that they do not want to give me a freebie disc. No doubt, the dial indicator measuring the run out shows excessive wear on the left disc. BMW has authorized the replacement of the left disc and wheel only. The wheel is the suspect for the uneven wear. What I am still wondering (and I am assuming it must be) is if there is a problem with running a new disc on one side with a slightly worn one on the right. Also, how about break pads? Still plenty of wear left. They will not replace those either. The feeling is they are fine?

Thank you all for your input,
John

Interesting, at least the factory is stepping up.
My 08 RT started a front brake pulsation about 6,000 miles. I put a dial indicator on each rotor and had .003 run out. I called the dealer and they said the spec. was .005. The funny thing is it is much better now with 25K. Smooth as silk and I never did any brake work until last weekend I replaced the rear pads at $116, ouch.

There is no issue running a mix of ol and new rotors and pads- just do a break in drill and it should be fine. Don't overheat anything during the break in.

Racer7 thank you for your input.

Actually everyone, thank you for the comments.

I have been figuring out if I needed to go to war with BMW? Any brake job I have ever done when a rotor was warped, was a complete job. Rotors and pads. But then, that was on an automobile due to normal wear and tear. Sounds like I will be thankful for getting the problem parts replaced under warranty.

Thanks again,
John

Back