• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OH driving tips and radar

D

DZIMBRIC

OH Troopers have raised speed detection to a new art form, compared to the other states around them the OH State Trooper is the master and IN and PA are the amatuers. KY, if you get caught in KY, well you asked for it, those guys don't exactly hide their stuff if you have a decent detector.

OH is a tough state to get caught speeding in, they don't cut anyone slack. You get pulled over, you're getting a ticket. I used to commute to Oswego, NY and after getting nailed in OH several times I simply quit speeding there. 7 miles over the limit with a radar detector is the most I drive. And I use radar detection on all of the bands, including laser.

Here is some interestig trivia about the OH State Tropper cars.

1. They are tough to see, they paint them gray, same as my old '04 RT but all of decals on the sides are non-reflective. When they park in the median, think US 30, they simply disappear at night or even in the twilight. You don't know they are there until they light it up.
2. They use lasers, a lot,
3. They like to set up tricky little speed traps, shoot you from behind off an overpass with a car positioned ahead to cite you, that kind of fair stuff.
5. They could be driving any kind of unmarked car or truck.
6. They have been known to use "instant on" K and Ka bands.

And OH has big deer, a lot of them, as well as PA, IN and IL

Be safe out there guys, have a good trip and enjoy yourselves.

See you in the beer tent. :wave :drink

Dan

The deer are really bad in Ohio now. They are basically tall, pretty, rats. I wish they were ugly. It would be much easier to talk Susie Scoccer Mom into a more serious form of population control. The hunters simply can not keep up.

Ohio State Highway Patrol cars are now white

They have been known to work big events with very large teams. Like Dan said they will have one guy hidden on an overpass with a handheld gun and have 10 cars a half mile away writing you up.

Group riding is usaully safe unless you stick out from the herd. Do not be the loudest, fastest, slowest or have the wildest paintjob (this may not work in OH, I have seen one patrolman pull over 6 cars. He then writes them one by one. Expect more than an hour if this happens to you)

These guys get huge kudos for stolen cars and drunk drivers so this is what they are really focusing on.

There is a whole system of recognition for this stuff and they really eat it up.
"ACE" on the license plate has signifigance (I think stolen cars recovered) as well as lightning bolt graphics (maybe the number of cars???)

They have a hard job (but no one forced them to go into that kind of work)

And can be fair (if you break the law and they see you, you will get a ticket. The cut no slack, I guess that is fair)

These guys are very serious. Think Marine Coprs Drill Sargent. They typically have no personality, sense of humor, or compassion for us lawbreakers.

If you get pulled over, expect a machine to walk up to your bike

I have heard truck drivers talk about driving around Ohio

I grew up in Columbus area.

I know OHIO is a tough state for motorist, but I don't intend to speed.
The way I intend my trip is to cruise to Lima.
Needless to say though, flying below radar is fun.

Isn't Lima, a Barracks location???

Ohio HAS a post in Lima, don't they?????

Lived in Toledo, went to school in Oxford, (Ohio), you are right they cut NO slack...

They also use aircraft, 3 quarter mile stripes on the road, either side. Two of the three faster than 15 seconds....you're being stopped. (Trooper stepped out into the road to stop me.) :cry

So, where do these Ohio State Troopers like to hang? Mostly interstate & primary highways, or do they also patrol the secondary roads (like 555)?

On past trips I've not seen many troopers in the boonies - but maybe I was just lucky.

I'm hoping to make some time on backroads coming up from the Portsmouth area, where I plan to cross over from KY.

Steve

They're Thick at the race

Everyone will be on duty at the race location (I forget the name of the location), and they pull bikes over in packs. Otherwise, I can't complain. They're no worse than any other state.

I'm riding south on I-75. What's the speed limit on there?

Thanks for the tips :thumb

The state troopers have juisdiction on all public roads in Ohio, although you ar unlikly to see them on secondary state hyways. They are most likely to be on interstates and primary state and US hyways.

From Portsmouth I would take US 23, it's four lanes but has cross roads. Both times I was thru there this year I don't remember seeing any stateys.

Doug Mc Gee

Doug, I was thinking 73 from Portsmouth, then picking up 72 & finally hopping over to I 75 for the last leg. Any familiarity with 73 or 72?

(I've traveled 23 - I guess I'm looking for something more scenic for a few miles after crossing the river).

Thanks, Steve

here is an ohio trooper story

back in the days when i was a road warrior, sales rep, my partner was working in ohio. he hit some black ice on a freeway exit and did a 360 and took out a highway sign. minor damage to his car - no other vehicle involved and andy was fine once he cleaned out his shorts.
no one saw him or stopped him, but he noticed a trooper a few miles later, pulled over and reported the incident to him. the trooper wrote him up for damaging state property and it cost him 200-300 bucks.
when in ohio obey the signs or bring your wallet.

Cliffy777 said:
when in ohio obey the signs or bring your wallet.

And if you happen to be in Ohio with Michigan plates, better not push your luck at all! I've heard of Michigan people getting tickets even within 5 mph of the speed limit (during football season, of course).

steve-o said:
Doug, I was thinking 73 from Portsmouth, then picking up 72 & finally hopping over to I 75 for the last leg. Any familiarity with 73 or 72?

(I've traveled 23 - I guess I'm looking for something more scenic for a few miles after crossing the river).

Thanks, Steve

73 is a good motorcycle road. The condition is better as you go north, and if you get the chance, stop off and see Serpent Mound, the largest earthen effigy in north america. I have been on st rt 73 many times. It actually goes all the way to I75 south of dayton. The bottom is the best for twisties, and it becomes more sweepers as you get to hillsboro.

If anyone is coming from the east on US30, watch your speed through Bucyrus. They like to have a speed trap there. DAMHIK.

Ohio Troopers

Unless you are really speeding, obvious by constantly changing lanes, you can safely get by at 4 miles over speed limit on State Highways. In small towns you get no slack over speed limit.
If you do get pulled over, stay on the bike and be nice. If asked how fast were you going, just say you don't know, you were just maintaining your position in traffic and trying to keep a safe distance from other vehicles. Never admit to any mph over speed limit, never. Generally speaking if you are respectful, you may only get a warning for small overages.
Been stopped several times, and never got a ticket!!! only 1 warning.

SO you're saying to not play that game where you weave every other, or ever 3rd dash in the road, right? :dunno

this sounds like war against those trying to expedite their adventures. i generally do 75-80 in 55 and 85 in 65's and i frequently drive by cops at this speed, i rode across ohio all the way on rt 30 and never got pulled over or really even noticed a cop. the interstates are really that bad??? this is making me reconsider my ohio route...........

Bubba Bear Bait Zanetti

BubbaZanetti
this sounds like war against those trying to expedite their adventures. i generally do 75-80 in 55 and 85 in 65's and i frequently drive by cops at this speed,

Here is your sign

Bear Bait

Ride on and keep them distracted for the rest of us. You're on a different scoot now. :D :D :D :D :D

I usually drive 4 over and wait for a rabbit, then keep him just barely in sight.

Westbound and down.....

BubbaZanetti said:
this sounds like war against those trying to expedite their adventures. i generally do 75-80 in 55 and 85 in 65's and i frequently drive by cops at this speed, i rode across ohio all the way on rt 30 and never got pulled over or really even noticed a cop. the interstates are really that bad??? this is making me reconsider my ohio route...........
:thumb
Way to take one for the team Bubba! You take the point and when I see the lights go on I'll back off to 71mph......lol
I'm running I84 to I81 to I70 west. Take care out there!
Adios.

Back