• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Re-Key help on 49 liter top box - '13 R1200RT

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
ok, i am not as daft as one would think....:scratch

i need some help on re-keying a 49 liter top box...:banghead

followed the RepRom detailed instructions on dis-assembly of the top box, all went well and was able to remove the locking mechanism quite easily...in re-reading (seemed like a dozen times...LOL) the instruction for removing the key cylinder i was unable to release the cylinder from the mechanism....yes, i used a small probe to release the cylinder keeper gizmo to no avail....

my dealer (BMW of Ventura County) has been less than helpful in helping me on this. i have read that many have successfully re-keyed at "new-to-them" top box and i would like to be added to the list...

as a side note the two keys on my key fob (didn't realize the top box key was still active) played with my EWS system on my 13 R1200RT....crazy....gotta fix that too if i cannot re-key the top box...

as always, thanks for any and all advice and help...

wyman

My dealer very nicely and quickly has re-keyed mine twice now--first from used purchase to my 2008, then when I traded that for the 2012.

There are also shops in Bakersfield, Long Beach, and Orange...
Or you might take it to a locksmith who does European cars.

thanks Paul....will prolly contact Long Beach BMW later today...it is close to one of my facilities....:)

wyman

just received a VERY nice response from BMW of Long Beach...it appears that they have no problems re-keying my top box....hmmmm, maybe i should reconsider my affiliation with BMW of Ventura County....

wyman

just received a VERY nice response from BMW of Long Beach...it appears that they have no problems re-keying my top box....hmmmm, maybe i should reconsider my affiliation with BMW of Ventura County....

wyman

Well, while down visiting my facility on Santa Fe Springs on my way to Flagstaff, I pulled the lock assembly out of my new-to-me and freshly painted top box and headed over to BMW MC of Long Beach.....they were more than gracious and happy to re-key the tumbler....NO CHARGE!!!!

That my friends is customer service!!!

Wyman

Back