• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Quick Maintenance Interval Question on my 08 RT

cookie

Jeff
I have 25,450 miles. The FD oil was changed at 600 miles and the dealer said you are good for life.
I know that has changed. At 7,000 miles I changed the fluid and lowered the volume to the new spec. at that time.
What is the current recommended FD fluid change mileage interval and what amount of what fluid do I put back in?
What else do I do at 25,000?
I have done the trans fluid, oil changes, valve adj. and throttle body sync. 2 complete brake flushes. Plenty of Michelin PR2's, spark plugs.
I have not changed the belt.
Thanks.

I usually do mine when I replace the rear tire. That's pretty close to the interval and I've got the wheel off already.

That's the practical answer.

I do a very careful FD inspection when the rear tire is off for changing and an FD lube change at the same time because it only takes 5 minutes and is cheap. Allows inspection of what is in the lube. (I also use magnetic drive minders on oil heads with the earlier FD design that isn't "big hole" with bearings outside the gear lube).
The fill volume is 180 ml (6 oz, approx).

Re your belt, don't obsess. The stretch belts (there is no tension adjustment on hexheads) wear slowly and about the only difference you'll note between a used one and a new one is that the old one less stretchy. Many keep the old one on board as an emergency spare though belt breakages on these bikes are rare.

Based on what I saw on mine, the factory interval is, as usual, very conservative. Remember that rubber ages with both time (mostly ozone exposure) and distance- IIRC there is also a 6 yr interval suggested if mileage isn't reached.

The somewhat expensive BMW tool makes it easy to change but so does a hunk cut out of a plastic bottle- its a pretty simple home job if you want to do it though the first time you may need to work on your technique a little. Don't pinch a finger...

The factory interval for plugs is 24K on your hexhead and doing earlier changes is simply wasting money. The wear rate on plugs puts them right at the outer gap spec at that distance. There are alternate platinum or iridium electrode plugs if you want to try for longer intervals.

Don't forget to keep up with air filter changes.

At your mileage/years its also worthwhile to do a careful inspection of all moving or mount points at swing arm and other suspension points.

Good advice.
The kick stand and swing arm do need attention. I found the swing arm bolt on the left side so loose I almost lost it and the kick stand was loose as well.
I have seen the plastic bottle method for changing the belt, I am not sure which way I will go until I get in there.
You are right about the plugs, I changed them at 24K and they looked pretty good.
I started using octane booster safe for cats last year and what a difference. Smooth idle and no more pinging.

Back