• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbie from the Land of Oz

Moose667

Hello from KS everyone!
I am a first time rider (May 2013) and look forward to all the information and experience available through this forum. The bike I own is a 2010 F650GS and it is an exceptional machine. My wife and I ride every chance we get; every weekend and several times a week after work (she rides a Honda CTX-700). To date our longest ride has been to Tulsa, OK via the back roads and it was a great trip. We are anxious to get out for some longer rides, experience some bike camping and attend some rallys. It would also be great to meet up with some experienced riders to learn from as well. One of my personal goals is to be able to take advantage of the 650GS platform and learn how to ride on dirt/gravel roads (Raw Hyde class, one day). KS/OK roads are certainly not lacking in this area for opportunities and I feel I am missing out on some great rides because I am restricted to the asphalt. Take care and safe riding to you all! Here is a pic of my bike:

Attachments

• 20130825_225431.jpg
    20130825_225431.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 58
Moose -

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a fine bike to try all different kinds of roads. BTW...what's the red thing on the rear rack?

Thank you for the welcome! The red thing is a Rotopax fuel cell www.rotopax.com. They come in sizes from 1 a 4 gallons and the mounting system is pretty clever. Going on a ride to central Arkansas and wanted a couple gallons for emergency.

Moose -

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a fine bike to try all different kinds of roads. BTW...what's the red thing on the rear rack?

Thank you for the compliment! I see you are from PA, I grew up in Northwest Philly. Moved to Altoona after I got out of the military then relocated to KS for work. Miss the trees and clear streams.

Welcome, Moose! Beautiful bike you have there!

Extra fuel can on the back?

Welcome!

Thanks for posting the pic of your new ride. Know that you will have a great time getting acquainted.

Since you now know how to post pics on the forum, looking forward to a ride report with pics from your trip to Arkansas. :thumb

Yes, I'm down in the south east corner. Just came back home to Pa after 20 years across town in De.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Sibud! We will get some photos to upload for the club. If you have never been to Northern Arkansas I highly recommend it. Beautiful countryside, clear streams and great fishing off the beaten path. We have been going there for years vacationing and this will be our first adventure on motorcycles. We are anxious to be on our way! :burnout
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/burnout.gif
Welcome!

Thanks for posting the pic of your new ride. Know that you will have a great time getting acquainted.

Since you now know how to post pics on the forum, looking forward to a ride report with pics from your trip to Arkansas. :thumb

Hey Moose, I'm even newer than you.

I just joined today.

I live north of Wichita, and work so far south I'm almost in Haysville. When I bought my first BMW 40 years ago, I lived in Derby.

I was tipped off to a group of guys who are part of the Wichita Shaft Twisters Club a while back. I think Shaft Twisters is an arm of the MOA, but I'm not sure. Some of them have breakfast at the Riverside Cafe on 13th near North High School Tuesdays at 8:00. I was with them yesterday. I think there were nine of us. Good conversation. Oddly, I was the only one to show up on a BMW, my R1150RT. There was an assortment of "lesser" bikes. Their regular club meetings are at Spears Restaurant near West St and Maple on the first Sunday of each month at 5:00. I put that in my phone as an appointment, so maybe I can get there sometime soon.

Chuck

I think the Shaft Twisters club based around Wichita is still alive. You should touch base with those fine folks.

There are several good local rallies each year within easy riding distance of Mulvane. The Kansas City Club's Land of Oz Rally, the Springfield Club's rally at Crane, Missouri, the revived Hillbilly Rally in SW Missouri to name a few.

Back