• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The best windscreen/comfort farkels for a R11GS for a guy who rides a RT????

pbrokaw

Guys and Gals:

I really do like the R11GS (Big Red)I bought about a month ago...At first I thought the stock screen was going to be fine.Now I am not so sure. The other beast in the stable is a R1100RT with the BMW sport screen on it. That combo is really good for that bike. Now I know I will never make a GS into a RT comfort wise...I can live with that. But the my GS is not fun on the 4 lane.At higher speeds Big Red kinda fights back!! 2 lane blasting is super of course. But the slab riding well,kinda sucks compared to the RT. How did you folks with a GS make it work for all day riding???? My specs and the bike specs:
6"2" 260 pounds
GS has a Corbin saddle and the OEM one. A set of engine crash bars with no highway pegs yet.

The BMW buzz on this bike is a lot more pronounced than the RT. I figure it's the gearing in the tranny,dirt bike styled foot pegs and the corbin seat. The RT has a Russel on it so I am spoiled in that sense.
Bike has a recent valve adjust,TB cleaning and sync with a twinmax. And a fresh set of 3923 Autolights in her. Bike has 54k on it.

Any thoughts or comments please???

Thanks

Perry

If i rrecall

the way to make the R1100GS into a touring bike for taller folks like yourself is to add a Aeroflow. It's a big barn-door looking thing, but supposedly it works very well.

Can't speak to your buzziness, other than the tires are probably more aggressive and the gearing is lower than your RT.

I've had a 1150RT and GS Adventure, 1100RT and currently a 1100GS. Tried several shields on all, favorite for the GS is the Aeroflow Tall. I'm also 6'2" with a 34" inseam. My current GS has bar-risers, Rick Mayer saddle and Fastway pegs that provide less knee bend. It is the closest thing to a perfect fit I've experienced. The shield blocks too much flow in hot weather, so going to the stock shield is my other option. Rode it to Colorado in June, very comfortable long distance.

The Aeroflow created a little too much turbulence from the right side of the tank directed under my helmet. Why not the left side? All I can figure is the cylinder offset, so I added a small piece of Lexan above the right cylinder with a curve to deflect the air down and away. It made enough of a difference to make me forget about it.

The things I like about the GS are the riding position, maintenance access, suspension travel and corning clearance. What I miss are the range and weather protection (in the Winter) of the RT.

The things I like about the GS are the riding position, maintenance access, suspension travel and corning clearance. What I miss are the range and weather protection (in the Winter) of the RT.

Did I reed dat rite? Yooze said "Winter" eh? I could ride my RT in the Winter? I didn't know they had ski and snowmobile track farkles for an RT.

All relative my friend. Raised in Indiana, still remember that stuff they call snow. Shoveled it for $.25 a sidewalk (if it wasn't a corner house) as a kid. California has spoiled me since '73, get to ride year 'round. I envy your roads and scenery. Some day I plan to get up there to experience it...but not during the winter.

I have an rt and gs... I got a aeroflow for the gs... way big improvement...rt has stock shield the medium I think.. works fine with the electric adjuustable feature.. sprnd the $$$$ and buy the aeroflow for the gs..beware the areflow intefears with some thing like accessory lights mounted under the beak

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Back