• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r1150 seat

letsride88

Have a 2002 R1159r attached to a sidecar. Stock seat only good for about 3 hrs. Any input on Sargent seats would be appreciated. Or any seat for that matter.
Thanks

1998 r1100rt

I was in pain after about the first hour and had to give it up after about two.
I found a used Sargent on a forum and paid $300 for it.
It was a little rougher shape than I expected but still a pretty good deal.

It transforms the motorcycle - It is not "absolutely" comfy - I still need to move around ocassionally.
However I can ride all day on it.

The advantage of the Sargent is that it comes with its own seat pan, you don't have to send the seat away and wait.

However if you CAN do that, I believe the Day-long saddle is probably the best you can get.
The cost of a Day-Long is about the same as the Sargent (when similar cover materials are selected) if you're talking about buying new.

My evil plan was to get the Sargent as a temporary fix, and send the stock seat pan off to Day-Long for the permanent fix - but the Sargent is good enough that I haven't ever gotten around to it.

I was in pain after about the first hour and had to give it up after about two.
I found a used Sargent on a forum and paid $300 for it.
It was a little rougher shape than I expected but still a pretty good deal.

It transforms the motorcycle - It is not "absolutely" comfy - I still need to move around ocassionally.
However I can ride all day on it.

The advantage of the Sargent is that it comes with its own seat pan, you don't have to send the seat away and wait.

However if you CAN do that, I believe the Day-long saddle is probably the best you can get.
The cost of a Day-Long is about the same as the Sargent (when similar cover materials are selected) if you're talking about buying new.

My evil plan was to get the Sargent as a temporary fix, and send the stock seat pan off to Day-Long for the permanent fix - but the Sargent is good enough that I haven't ever gotten around to it.

My plan?...was similar, and my end [pardon the pun] results were also similar. Picked up a Sargent and so far so good. So I still have the OEM 3 pieces if I feel I need to make a change? but heck it's been three years so?..

I have heard a few rave about the Cee-Baily as well?

My plan?...was similar, and my end [pardon the pun] results were also similar. Picked up a Sargent and so far so good. So I still have the OEM 3 pieces if I feel I need to make a change? but heck it's been three years so?..

I have heard a few rave about the Cee-Baily as well?

Anyone I have ever talked to that actually bought a Day-Long swears they'll put one on their next bike too.
The only insults have come from buddies that think it looks like a tractor seat.
I think the Sargent does look better.

I've got the Cee Bailey's "Ultimate Upgrade" seat (partly because I live in easy riding distance) with the gel insert - love it, very comfy, and it is a day-long rider. I also specified that the rear of the butt pocket be extended as much to the rear as possible (for more wiggle room), which isn't much thanks to the pan. It is heavier than the stock seat (due to the gel), and it raised me up a little bit; its shape is not conducive to the use of "body English" in twisties. Very hot or very cold temps have NEVER been any issue at all.
I had a Russel Day-Long a few bikes ago, and while it was not "pretty", there is beauty in function! It also limits body English with its side wings.

Back