• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dahlonega GA and Suches Loop tomorrow

txmxrider

We'll ride up to Dahlonega for lunch, then I'll drop the wife off so she can walk around town while I go ride for a few hours. I'll be on a Orient blue '03 K1200 GT. It's supposed to be absolutely perfect riding weather tomorrow. If you're out that way give me a shout.

Btw, what's the "proper" way to ride that loop? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? I want to make sure I'm not going against the majority of the traffic. I always worry about someone straight lining a corner right into me.

Well you're likely already out. But I've ridden both ways in one fashion or another and never really noticed any difference.

Yep, and we had a wonderful day. Had a great lunch at Bourbon Street Grille in Dahlonega then the wife went window shopping and I went riding. I rode the loop clockwise and definitely met more bikes than I passed, but that could just be me LOL! I stopped at the AT trail crossing at Neal's gap and there was a sizeable crowd of bikes and sports cars. Most everyone I spoke to said they like to ride the loop counter-clockwise out of Dahlonega because they prefer going up Neal's Gap from South to North rather going downhill North to South. I hooked up with a guy on a K1600GT and just after Turner's Corner we turned left then took the scenic route back to Dahlonega. Found some nice backroads out that way.

When I picked up the wife I found that she didn't buy a thing for herself but she bought me an excellent map called "Backroads Less Traveled, With Waterfalls of Northeast GA and Part of North Carolina" and the book "Motorcycle Adventures In the Southern Appalachians" by Hawk Hagebak. She's a keeper alright.

Back