• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

System Case Actuator Lubrication 2006 RT

patricio66

The latch actuation on my 2006 RT System Cases is in need of lubrication. Does one simply spray a bit of lube inside the latch or does the case need to come apart to perform the service properly?

Thanks for asking. I'll monitor and hope for some detailed answers. I too have an 06 RT and need to perform the same type of maintenance.

The latch mechanism is a little complex since it operates both the lid locks and the case release. If you want to lube it you must remove the inner case. This is tricky but not hard; the service dvd is helpful. You'll see on the case release arms where some grease was originally applied. The latch mechanism itself is mostly plastic parts and I doubt that it gets lubed but a little silicone spray couldn't hurt.
Before opening it all up try just spraying a little of it into any openings you can get at from the ouside and see if that helps. If you do remove the inner case getting it back together is the tricky part. Kind of like changing a headlight bulb...patience, patience, patience.
The latch mechanism on mine started tightening up and I ignored it till it broke so it's good you're trying to get ahead of the problem.

Back