• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1997 R1100 RT Power Outlet

M

mrg2214@ptd.net

Well bought my first BMW and love it 1997 R1100 RT with 55,600 miles....Been riding Yamaha cruisers and finally took my friend advice..over 20 years of riding and never realized what a sport touring bike could bring you in the pure riding experience...

Now the question I have no manual ..

• Need to power up my GPS what the best way to do this,No accessorie plug on the bike
  • There is a strange plug on the left hand side of the console with a cap on it..Hmmm Never seen this size before any help?
Thanks

Mike

It's a BMW thingy you need.

I bought an extension for electrical gadgets for cars that plug into the accessory socket/cigarette lighter. I popped into the BMW Stealership, bought their male adapter, cut the male off the extension, wired positive to positive, negative to negative, done.

Best part, I can use anything to plug in to the extension, including my coffee maker................

Well bought my first BMW and love it 1997 R1100 RT with 55,600 miles....Been riding Yamaha cruisers and finally took my friend advice..over 20 years of riding and never realized what a sport touring bike could bring you in the pure riding experience...

Now the question I have no manual ..

• Need to power up my GPS what the best way to do this,No accessorie plug on the bike
  • There is a strange plug on the left hand side of the console with a cap on it..Hmmm Never seen this size before any help?
Thanks

Mike

You're in luck! Your second question answers your first: That's the accessory plug. Depending on who you're talking to, it's called a "BMW plug," a "Hella plug," a "Powerlet plug," or a "DIN-[something]" plug (never can remember that one).

What you want is something along these lines: http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/power-cables/PWRCBL

If you want to hardwire the GPS power cable to the bike (buy an additional power cable). On the left side frame rail after you remove the left faring panel you'll see two radio power wires that are convient to use. The red and white wire is always hot, and the purple and black is hot when the key is on in any position but off.

Last edited:
Back