• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'85 K100RS oem low seat option?

M

malhusky

Does any one have any idea how much lower the oem low seat is from the standard? I just picked up a 1985 K100rs and its a little on the tall side for me.
Thanks
JWS

I switched from a standard Corbin Gunfighter to a OEM low seat on my K75.

With my ~30" inseam I went from tip toes to one flat foot + one tip toes.

I'm adding the year of the bike to the thread title, as per: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46057

In this case it could make a significant difference. There was no low seat option for the '85 K bike, and the seat and pan are unique to the model, as is the cowling behind the seat. The low seat assembly from a K75 will NOT fit on the '85 K without major modifications.

Please put that info in to thread titles you post in the tech section, it will help you and help others seeking the same info later on.

Edit: Ah - I see Lee beat me to it..

`85 K100RS oem low seat

So I was given these BMW # for the double bench seat low-#52 531 453 840 and for comfort seat #52 531 455 222 .So I am trying to find out if these part numbers will work for my NEW to me `85 K100RS.So are these part numbers valid?
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE
JWS

Once again I've been caught out by the "uniqueness" of the '85.

While the part# you list is indeed listed in the parts fiche as a "low" seat, I am not familiar with a low seat for the '85. It looks like the standard seat (which would put you at 32"). Please disregard the previous numbers that I gave you as those are for the "lift off" 86 and later seats as opposed to the hinged seats.

With the cost involved with that seat, you might want to consider an aftermarket custom seat.

I would be cautious about any factory low seat for an '85. Might not be as low as you hoped.

Sorry. Thanks for the save Don!

:dance:dance:dance

AFAIK, there was only one seat for the '85 K100xx.. and it was uncomfortable and not particularly low. For a long time I kept a spare one in my garage to loan to other '85 owners who were sending their seat/pan to a custom seat builder to be redone - so they wouldn't lose the use of their bike while the rebuilding was being done. I no longer have the spare - sold it for what I paid for it ($50) when I sold the '85 K100RT. I had mine redone by Russell, it wasn't much lower, but the nose was as narrow as possible making it a tiny bit easier to reach the ground with my stubby legs. It was much more comfortable then the stock seat. And I can only imagine how much better new foam might be compared to foam that has been aging for the past 3 decades.

BTW - if you're given PN's and want to see the fitment (what it fits) - www.realoem.com offers that lookup.

Low seat for an '85 K100RS

I bought an '85 K100 standard back in '93 and not long after that I ran into a guy in southern CT with an OEM low seat for an '85 K bike for sale and I took it off his hands. I have used the seat on my standard K, and on an '85 RS that I have here in Europe. I don't know how much lower the seat is than a standard seat, but I'd say it is between 1" and 2" lower. On my RS I have also pushed the fork tubes up about a centimeter in the triple clamps and that helps lower the bike a bit as well. I am about 5' 6" and at this point I feel pretty comfortable with my RS. I've attached a picture of my RS that was taken in Serbia a couple of years ago. I have it with me in Moldova now, but have not been able to get out much this past year.

Regards,
Jim Herne

www.twoKguy.org
'62 R27
'85 K100
'85 K100RS

Attachments

• Early morning - OMV Ruma.JPG
    Early morning - OMV Ruma.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 30
Back