• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R1100RT CO Pot-For information only, not a problem to be discussed for weeks

HW, he says that he has a connected O2 sensor and a Yellow Coding plug. What led him to install the CO Pot:

I have read a great deal on some of the BMW forums about the need for a CO Pot. Just make sure we are talking about the same thing, Carbon Monoxide Potentiometer. Some of the forums say it is there for idle and needs to be set with an exhaust gas analyzer. My bike, a US bike, didn't come with one and the codes from the Moronic gave me a CO Pot code.

I'm going to cause some sensor faults on my bike and see whether Closed Loop is disabled on a fault. I don't think it is (other than the O2 sensor fault he has) but it would be good to know.

You have the same configuration (Yellow Plug and O2 Sensor Connected) do you get the CO Pot Fault Code?
RB

(other than the O2 sensor fault he has)
RB

I don't have any O2 sensor faults. I got code 1111 every time I checked. It was the last fault code in the string. RealOEM and all the other parts fiche show it should be there for my serial number.

Whether or not that fault prevents closed loop from occurring, I don't know as you can't see closed loop in real time. If you are in closed loop MOST of the time, data logging will see it as ALL the time.

I know for certain that on CAN systems, you can see periods of open loop through a fast scan tool. I also know for certain that any other fault code besides the one for the CO Pot will keep the Moronic in open loop.

As of last tank, just under 230 miles of range highway/city as compared to my usual 200. There are too many variables to say the CO Pot was the difference.

Some new information about closed loop.

I know some of the stuff I am about to add is a fact for a lot of ECM's. My buddy pointed out that Bosch made the GMII ECM from about '86 to just shy of '94. I remember those, what a POS, it took less than 2/10ths of voltage drop to make them crazy.

Here we go: "signal from the lambda sensor is only considered when the throttle is held constant and the engine is not accelerating".

"closed loop is only in operation up to throttle openings of about 13 degrees".

"Closed Loop systems usually operate at low throttle openings (below 20%) and below 50 to 60% of max RPM. Above those throttle and RPM points the system goes back to Open Loop operation, running off the fuel maps stored in the ECU."

"Closed Loop system is only activated once the engine is up to a predetermined temperature....80 degrees C......95 degrees C......the thermostat opening temperature."

All this information is available from Bosch's book, Gasoline Engine Management. Regardless the O2 Sensor remains the primary controller for closed loop but certainly not the only sensor it needs.

Just another point to add............There are a ton of really smart people here. Keep in mind please that as we present some information, most of us, speaking for myself, just want one question answered, "my bike is broke, what do I do to get back to riding?"

Back