• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Intermittent warning indicator - <!> (2007 RT)

greggsnider

G Spot
In the past week, the indicator Oil < ! > on my 2007 RT has been coming on periodically. It seems to come on when I'm stopped on a slight downhill. Rebooting the bike clears it up. The normal oil indicator - Oil √ - comes on normally.

The oil has under 3200 miles on it. The oil level and color appear normal through the sight glass. There are no obvious oil puddles in my garage. And the nice weather around Boston recently hasn't subjected the bike to any temp extremes.

Any idea what might cause that to come on, then go off when I restart the bike? Am I risking a major blowout by riding it right now? Thanks!

i dunno, but i don't think its wise not to take an oil warning seriously

i'm sure you checked the level but pressure & temp are also factors.

In the past week, the indicator Oil < ! > on my 2007 RT has been coming on periodically. It seems to come on when I'm stopped on a slight downhill. Rebooting the bike clears it up. The normal oil indicator - Oil √ - comes on normally.

The oil has under 3200 miles on it. The oil level and color appear normal through the sight glass. There are no obvious oil puddles in my garage. And the nice weather around Boston recently hasn't subjected the bike to any temp extremes.

Any idea what might cause that to come on, then go off when I restart the bike? Am I risking a major blowout by riding it right now? Thanks!
I'll bet you that it is the same as my 2005 RT.
Simple solution...add oil.
Mine was doing the exact same thing, which is a bit unnerving when you come down the sweeps on a mountain and see that <!> show up with nowhere to stop and check.

I noticed that 1st it would do it just on occasion but then became more common when the bike was being pushed a bit harder up and down the mountain. Did an oil and filter change and re-filled to 1/2 mark on the side window, just as I used to on the previous 1150RT.
The warning mark came up again, but just on very few occasions.
Topped the oil up to 80% of window and no more <!> :)

Oil level was measured by putting her on the side stand for a few minutes...then center stand and final level checked after 10 minutes.
That's with the bike being ridden 1st on at least 20km stretches.

Thanks, all. I have a 6k service scheduled next week so oil will be replaced/topped off, and I'll mention it to them as well. Just wondering if there was any issue specifically with the indicator, or whether the sight glass might be less than informative.

Thanks, all. I have a 6k service scheduled next week so oil will be replaced/topped off, and I'll mention it to them as well. Just wondering if there was any issue specifically with the indicator, or whether the sight glass might be less than informative.

Several riders have complained that the indicator is too aggressive at reporting low oil.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me; on a slope, the computer would complain about the oil level. I could see oil in the sight glass and the book said you're okay the as long as you see oil in the glass. I guess I now know exactly where the limit is for the computer's sensor. ;) Anyways, since I could see oil in the sight glass, I think I did no harm.

If the sensor throws that warning only intermittently when riding and your sight glass checks later show oil in the glass, you probably have one of the bikes that's overly sensitive.- I've seen this on local club members bikes a couple times. Its only annoying, not significant. Some have attributed this to hung sensors and had it disappear with a sensor replacement- but not all.

Anyway, if there's visible oil in the bike the you have nothing to worry about. Oil pump failures are close to non-existent and there is no way to overheat the oil in normal riding barring a very major blockage or failure.

Worry less, ride more.....

Envying your sumer weather up there- where I once lived. Its our worst riding time of year in the SE right now...

I had this issue with my 05 Rt, use your sight glass. The oil level sending unit is about $90 and is located on the right side of the engine, not hard to replace but I replaced the Rt with an 08 GS which has a different oil level sensing system. That solved a lot of other issues I had with the RT design.
Sam

Back