• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help to fix the headlight of my 2011 1200GSA

moineau

Moineau
Hi, I flew in from Frankfurt / Germany to Anchorage with my 1200 GSA and Im heading for Panama City to fly back home before Christmas. In a parking area in Alaska I tried to change the broken bulb of my headlight (low beamer). Thereby I lost the clip which keeps the bulb in position. I tried to get a new clip at BMW Seattle, but they don't sell it. They only sell the whole assembly of the headlight for over 400 $. The problem is that the American Headlight has an other glass than the German. So if I bought the assembly here I would have to change it again in Germany. My question now is if anybody has a broken headlight which is not needed anymore and where it is possible to take out this damned clip. I think this clip, which holds the H7 bulb, should be in all the BMW headlights the same. At the moment I'm in Coeur d'Alene and heading vor Yellowstone NP where I'll stay from 22. to 25. of August.
Thank you in advance for help.

Seems to me that this has come up before. I bumped you up a notch to Hexhead/Camhead.
Good luck. Gary

Something to try

Something to try: Stop at an auto salvage yard and see if the wire clip from car headlight that uses a H7 bulb is the same. You may find a clip that is the same or at least a clip that is close enough to work for the remainder of your trip.

Cheers,
Merle

If you're still en route, you can also check at Big Sky BMW/Kawasaki in Missoula (2315 South Avenue "West", phone 888-277-9027), or a bit off your route, Big Twin BMW in Boise, literally right next to (northeast side of) the Interstate 90 exit (phone 208-336-0367).

(West Yellowstone and Gardiner both have decent camping and motels; you can take days to explore Yellowstone! Enjoy!)

I bet you can make a clip by cutting up and bending a cheap wire clothes hanger. The wire gauge varies... you'd want one of the thinner varieties. Perhaps a couple inches of a thicker safety wire would do the job, too. Not sure.

I bet you can make a clip by cutting up and bending a cheap wire clothes hanger. The wire gauge varies... you'd want one of the thinner varieties. Perhaps a couple inches of a thicker safety wire would do the job, too. Not sure.

Thank you, I tried it already, but it didn't work very well. And on the other side I suppose that the hotels don't estimate guests using their clothes hanger as spare part!

If you're still en route, you can also check at Big Sky BMW/Kawasaki in Missoula (2315 South Avenue "West", phone 888-277-9027), or a bit off your route, Big Twin BMW in Boise, literally right next to (northeast side of) the Interstate 90 exit (phone 208-336-0367).

(West Yellowstone and Gardiner both have decent camping and motels; you can take days to explore Yellowstone! Enjoy!)

I'm now in Helena, heading tomorrow for Bozeman. For Yellowstone and Jackson Hole I have already reservations, so I can't change my route, but I may try it in Salt Lake City.
Thank you!

Something to try: Stop at an auto salvage yard and see if the wire clip from car headlight that uses a H7 bulb is the same. You may find a clip that is the same or at least a clip that is close enough to work for the remainder of your trip.

Cheers,
Merle

good idea, thank you Merle! :wave

Is your bike still under warranty? If the anchor pivot point of the spring clip broke such that the clip was actually able to fall out, maybe you are entitled to a whole new assembly under warranty?

Well, I've never used a hotel hanger to fix my bike but I sure have made a bunch of them into emergency cork pullers for wine bottles. Ring on 1 end for your finger qnd a small j hook on the other which you slide down the side of the cork, then turn and hook it into the bottom of the cork so you can pull it.

Actually better than most commercial devices- wonder why no one sells one....

Good luck in the quest- were it me I'd simply pull one in the nearest car salvage place..

I just posted in another thread/same thing happened to me in England. Switched to high beam till back home. Headlight assembly replaced under wty.
Good luck.

This post from another thread might help you.

"Several years ago I snapped and lost my low beam spring clip, too. The issue isn't the spring clip so much as its the putting pressure on the back of the bulb so as to keep it in place. If you look, you'll notice that there is around a 1/4" to 3/8" of space between the back of the plug going into the bulb, and the flattened back on the inside of the plastic cover. Without a spring, you need something in the cover with just a bit of give to push the plug thereby securing the bulb.

Ultimately,I tried cork. I found a cork that I'd pulled out of a bottle of wine. I cut around a 1/4" off the end, and taped that on the inside of the plastic cover, then screwed the cover on where I noticed just a touch of resistance and give on the back of the plug holding the bulb firmly. Cork also won't overheat or burn, so its pretty ideal if it'll stay in place. I tested it by riding a couple of miles over a bunch of small city-titties, potholes, and dirt making sure that front tire got whacked around, always keeping an eye on the cluster to see if the light button popped on. I got home, looked into the low beam from the front and that bulb is rock solid. The length of the cork has to be just tight enough to be snug, but there's just enough give in the cork so nothing breaks.

That's been several years now and it still works fine. I keep a cork in my tool bag just in case.

Good luck, and let us know what you do"

A tip:)

I have had issues with my GSA1200 clips too. Most hardware stores have a HUGE selection of springs, all sizes and types. One of these larger springs in circular size will fit nicely, pushing onto back of bulb, inside of cap:). This bulb spring by BMW is a weak link indeed, not perfected and surely crap!!! It failed on mine the first 6 months owning the bike. An after thought in their engineering dept....My fix has never failed again and 108000miles. My bulbs go out every year or so, but that's the life of bulbs by mfg'ers package description. Best regards.

Thank you, I tried something similar. I fixed the bulb with a tape and than, to keep it tight enough in position, I put a bandage of my emergency kit between bulb and plastic cover. It works. In spite of that a cork might be better.;)

This post from another thread might help you.

"Several years ago I snapped and lost my low beam spring clip, too. The issue isn't the spring clip so much as its the putting pressure on the back of the bulb so as to keep it in place. If you look, you'll notice that there is around a 1/4" to 3/8" of space between the back of the plug going into the bulb, and the flattened back on the inside of the plastic cover. Without a spring, you need something in the cover with just a bit of give to push the plug thereby securing the bulb.

Ultimately,I tried cork. I found a cork that I'd pulled out of a bottle of wine. I cut around a 1/4" off the end, and taped that on the inside of the plastic cover, then screwed the cover on where I noticed just a touch of resistance and give on the back of the plug holding the bulb firmly. Cork also won't overheat or burn, so its pretty ideal if it'll stay in place. I tested it by riding a couple of miles over a bunch of small city-titties, potholes, and dirt making sure that front tire got whacked around, always keeping an eye on the cluster to see if the light button popped on. I got home, looked into the low beam from the front and that bulb is rock solid. The length of the cork has to be just tight enough to be snug, but there's just enough give in the cork so nothing breaks.

That's been several years now and it still works fine. I keep a cork in my tool bag just in case.

Good luck, and let us know what you do"

Back