• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

That imfamous transmission detent spring--broken again.

I have a 1979 R90/6 with 100,000 mi and this is the 2nd time I have had this spring problem--trans stuck in 2nd gear and will not shift. The last time the spring broke, it was about 20 years ago at amost 50,000 mi. The last time I removed the trains and delivered to a dealer to fix at about $450 back then. The price is $575 now and I'd like to tackle it myself this time. I have the Sep 03 Gary Smith ON repair article and a repair manual, but I'm lacking the special tools (nut puller and nut screw) to remove the drive flange nut and flange. If anyone has these rarely used tools and wouldn't mind renting or lending them, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Any advice on doing this job would be appreciated as well. My name is Richard and my email is Nostlgiagifts@yahoo.com, phone: 321-254-2933--Cheers!

If anyone is interested a machinist friend makes them in Dunnville Ontario Canada.
Not sure how much but I can ask, I always carry one in my tool kit.

Neutral detend spring

Saw your post. My '74 R90/6 detend spring failed around 50k miles also. Maybe you know this already, BMW of Marin said the shaft that the shift lever attaches to was not machined correctly and the spring would hang up in the front or rear position instead of centering as it should. After so many miles of being hit by something in the trans, I am not a trans expert, the end would break off and you are stuck in whatever gear, mine was third gear. Yellowstone park to Santa Rosa, CA., in third gear. After repair, no more problems. Hope this helps. J Terry, Paradise, CA.

That infamous transmission detent spring-broken again.

You're right, wrong year--it's a1974 R90/6--and at 6'6'' I do have big fingers. Does anyone have that special drive flange tool? Richard

Back