• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Adding accessory socket to GS-W

Emoto

I installed a second accessory socket today. The Powerlet low clearance one. I chose this instead of the BMW accessory socket because the BMW one wires up to the one in the cockpit. This means that it is controlled by the canbus and shares the same current draw limitation that the stock socket does, which could be problematic if you wear electrics in the cold weather. Additionally, the canbus shuts off the connectivity of the OEM sockets, and I wanted a socket wired straight to the battery (albeit fused) so that I can attach a trickle charger to it for the winter months.

You need to locate the hole carefully so that there is enough space for the part of the socket that protrudes into the area where it is mounted. Take great care in choosing this spot. I used a 5/8 drill bit and then hogged it out with a knife little by little until I had the hole large enough for the threaded portion to fit through.

i-rzRVMkS-L.jpg

As you run the wiring back to the battery, you'll note that with a little lifting and flexing that you can route the wires under existing bundles.

i-q9Kx8r3-L.jpg

With the seat height forward adjuster pulled out of the way, it is easy to see that there is a "tunnel" of sorts that wires use to leave the under seat area. You want to run your wires through there.

i-5NP6WKT-L.jpg

As the wires run through that tunnel, they rest in a sort of plastic tray. The tray has a notch in it, and that is where I suggest your wires exit the tray and head down toward the battery. You may find that pushing a wire through the tunnel along the tray is a little easier if you pull down slightly on the tray, from the side just above the battery.

i-53vHHRS-L.jpg

I also added a splash-proof inline fuse holder to the leads, for safety's sake. You can find them at any auto parts store.

i-8vH64kT-L.jpg

Take extra care when attaching the positive lead. I chose to attach mine to the jump starting pin. I noticed that the area it is affixed to is insulated with rubber. It appeared to me that you need to be careful here or you will inadvertently ground the positive to the frame. :yikes So, use an appropriately sized eyelet and be careful with the angle and routing.

i-HTC8ZMR-L.jpg

Great post! :thumb

Imagine my surprise when I remembered that my Cyclepump wouldn't work via the CANbus when repairing a tire out in the middle of nowhere. :banghead

Great post! :thumb

Imagine my surprise when I remembered that my Cyclepump wouldn't work via the CANbus when repairing a tire out in the middle of nowhere.

The capped SAE socket above the fuze block is always hot. I use it for battery charger and pump. And maybe other things.

p-131991425-0699.jpg

Yes, it's a good thing to have available when this happens. Middle of nowhere or restaurant parking lot. When you need air you need air. :D

Nice job guys :clap Remember Marc has a link in he post. The contrast on the forum is weak so I didn't want you to miss it.
Gary

Has anybody figured out how to remove the battery on this fine beast yet please? At initial glance it seems as though they built the bike around it lol

Has anybody figured out how to remove the battery on this fine beast yet please? At initial glance it seems as though they built the bike around it lol

I had to remove mine to charge it. You remove the right sidecover whihc I think is held on with a single bolt, then unbolt the negative terminal, then you slide the battery out and disconnect the positive terminal. Oh, you do have to un-do the rubberband-like thing that holds it in place. Or, was there some nuance to your question that I overlooked?

Very easy.

Remove battery cover (one screw). Disconnect ground lead and move it out of the way. Unhook rubber retaining strap from bottom. Pull the plastic end cap up and out. Slide battery most of the way out of the case. Disconnect the positive lead. See http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0718-fuzeblock/ for a few pics.

trigger wire

Marchyman, where did you hook your trigger wire too? I'm thinking low beam light but I have LED lights and wonder about the merit of hooking up there. Thanks.

Marchyman, where did you hook your trigger wire too? I'm thinking low beam light but I have LED lights and wonder about the merit of hooking up there. Thanks.

I'll jump in: under the pillion seat is a module for TPM and alarm. The red wire is a good trigger wire, although it doesn't turn off for about 30 seconds after ignition is turned off - like most things connected to Canbus. I used it for my HyperLites and will also use it for a fuse block.

I tapped into the headlamp for my trigger wire. This only works with the halogen lights. You'll need to look elsewhere if you have the LEDs. The reason I used the headlight are two-fold.

1) The aux circuits aren't energized until the bike is started.
2) The aux circuits are disabled when the engine stops. This means you won't drain your battery because you used the kill switch or dropped the side stand but forgot to turn off the ignition.

That last is an improvement over the hexheads.
p-131961459-0628-XL.jpg

More info at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0715-wiring/

Dan, I just now saw your answer. I woke up last night and was thinking about those two fuses under the main seat. Figured either they are hot all the time or relayed power to them. This morning I got the VOM out and found the 7.5 amp one with the solid red feed wire was indeed switched. It has a 60 second delay on cut off. If you listen carefully you can hear a relay up front and one by the battery change state at the 60 second mark. The larger one, in my bike is 15 amps but shown in the owners manual as 10, is always on. (since one of the things it powers it the computer port). Yes I would prefer to use a headlamp wire but this is perfect, not going to mess with a low amp circuit that can be detected by the controlling circuit, so red wire to the 7.5 amp fuse is the one! It is close to where I'm going to mount the fusebox. I'm going old school and use the traditional fuse type from Eastern Beaver.
What in the world are the boys in BMW engineering thinking about having the power outlet for stuff being 5 amps. Even when it was 10 amps it did not work well with heated gear thermostats. Oh well. It would be nice if there was one connector under the seat or near the battery that was a dedicated trigger signal hook up point. Maybe even an optional equipment to make money from...a 5 terminal aux. power hook up place for owners to attach gear to. :whistle

Front mounted Accessory Plug?

Anyone find a good spot to mount an extra plug up front?

jason

A few reasons...
  1. Built in relay --- the AP-1 doesn't have one.
  2. Per circuit choice between switched or constant power
On the down side this unit is limited to 30 amps total draw and 10 amps per circuit.. That was enough for my needs. The AP-1 is rated for 60A.

Back