• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 MOA Rally

Wyoming

Don't mis Thermopolis (free hot springs) and Hwy 20 - the Wind River Canyon road - supper two wheel road.

Flaming Gorge. Chief Joseph Highway is also known as Sunlight Basin, don't been confused. Definitely Beartooth Pass.

Re: 2004 Rally

OLY said:
My good friend and I are planning on riding to the rally from Charleston, SC. We want to take in the festivities in Cody on the way. Any suggestions as to routing?

Hey Oly,

Headed to the UnRally in Cody? Why not go up through Colorado the weekend before and Hit the Top of the Rockies rally by the Colorado Beemers? I'll be there and so will a thousand other folks! ;) http://www.coloradobeemers.com/tor.htm

JULIE said:
I've been to alot of rallies, none of them BMW rallies, thought I'd given up on them, but I'm new to the great NW and I was just starting to think '04 in Spokane was a good one to try, but after all I just read,( beer AND riding , the finger, dress scantily?), I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!

Julie,

The most scantily clad people I've seen at a BMW rally are the guys who take off their one-piece riding suits and then walk around in bike shorts with their riding boots. :yow It's an interesting look to say the least. I hope that you decide to come to Spokane.

In fact, I'll be disappointed if I don't get to meet lots of you forum folks. It will be fun to attach some faces to avatars and user names.
:beer:beer:beer

Thanks to all who responded ~ Julie you are a veritable font of information! We are limited as to how much we can do and see as we only have 20 days for the round-trip. The Rockies event sounds tempting though ~ I used to live in Silver Plume and Tinytown Colorado so I am familiar with the astounding scenery.

So far the plan is to go up through Chicago and go 'over the top' on the way out and take a southerly route on the return trip

Oly wrote:

> So far the plan is to go up through Chicago and go 'over the top' on the way out and take a southerly route on the return trip

Well, then. You'll have to consider the Lunatic Fringe Rally July 11-13 in High River, Alberta. Those Canadians sure know how to have a good time.
Voni
sMiling
:wow

boxergrrlie said:
Julie,

The most scantily clad people I've seen at a BMW rally are the guys who take off their one-piece riding suits and then walk around in bike shorts with their riding boots. :yow

Indeed. This is a classic rally sight.

medium_greatlegs.jpg

That is a problem when riding with a one piece suit, although several cold beers change it to a fashion statement.

04 MOA Rally

Why is there such a prodigious number of skeptics, worry worts ,complainers and so forth in this thread? As one who has traveled a fair amount of North America including Mexico I really don't see what all the ado is about, Either you want to go or you don't ! It is in Spokane like it or not. If not Stay home or go somewher else. It appears that a lot of folks have put a lot of there time and effort to make this happen. All we have to do is show up or not. If you want guarantees go to DISNEYLAND or take an all inclusive CRUISE. I suggest that some of you read Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon. Actually I think everyone should read it ,its really pretty good. Hey this is just my two cents worth.

Re: 04 MOA Rally

Scott said:
Why is there such a prodigious number of skeptics, worry worts ,complainers and so forth in this thread?

It's not just this thread, this forum or even motorcyclists in general. It's the beauty of the internet. Everyone has an opinion and everyone who doesn't agree must be wrong!

Glad you took the time to share yours.

MarkF

Last edited:
Valid point, Mark

I never have figured out why, but motorcyclists in general, and MOA members in particular, have an affinity for the negative. We complain about BMW, MOA, our local club, dealers, the slab, the weather, rallies in particular, and each other.

One of the rare rallies I've been to that was entirely positive was the latest RA rally. In actual fact, it was easy to blame it on the Barber Museum, or so, but lots of circumstances and dodgie planning made it an organizer's bad dream. At the last moment, Barber refused to allow alcohol, or the permits failed, and they had to give away beer (limit 2 per). Only one, over priced food vendor was allowed in, and they kept running out of food. Vendors were good, but scarce. Some of the organizers were vocally at each other's throats - or so they told me. The door prizes were an order of magnitude smaller and fewer than at MOA. Yet the rally goers cheered it all, while almost everything I heard about Charleston was bitching.

I sure have to give a lot of credit to the people in MOA who volunteer to plan, organize, and work their butts off to carry out a big rally. It is a big challenge, but I sure don't find it much fun. Especially when I hear nothing but gripes. I've decided that MOA nationals are misery magnets - the only people who enjoy them are those who come to kick back and have a good time.

This year, why not come to Spokane with the intention of kicking back, and having a good time? Spokane should be a good place to do it. Good roads, friendly locals, and just getting to / being in the the Northwest makes me happy. It's contagious.

Jim Shaw

an observation

I've been following, not only this thread, but in previous years before the Forum existed. It does seem as though there are a few malcontents who are only happy when they're unhappy. Or that their only reason for being is to complain. It also seems as if the same complaints are aired following a rally, and the same questions are asked before the rally. Perhaps we could direst some of this to another venue on the forum, FAQ's, having to do with the rally. But then I wonder if it would make a difference. My suggestion - if you have a complaint, offer a solution. Just accept the fact that nothing here is perfect or guaranteed. Live with it.

Hey, I did not mean to hijack this thread. I guess that I'm guilty of complaining about complainers. So what does that make me ? Another complainer. Sorry folks. I will enjoy what life gives me and will be glad to share a story , idea , suggestion , or best of all a beer with all I meet at Spokane or any where else for that matter. Sorry for the earlier rant.
SCOTT

Beer?

In.

Nice to meet you, Scott. We're starting to get some SF folks here. You, ian408, fish, syeager, lone*star, who else?

Rally

So far in spite of some negative things I have been reading about the rally, I plan to ride from the Florida Keys to Spokane and bring along my brother and dad who both just bought new BMW's ,a K1200 GT and K1200 LT respectively.:clap
We will then ride up to Spokane together to enjoy ourselves and meet old friends and make new ones.
From there we plan on seeing Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons and Mount Rushmore. Sturgis is also on the planning board as by then it will be early August.
It will be a lot of riding but we are looking forward to this adventure. :bliss :bliss
The beer part does help too as we will be parched from the ride:eek So there better be some when we get there!!:beer

Back