• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Torque wrench with 1/4" to 3/8" adapter

bobframe

I need to use my 1/4" torque wrench in a situation that requires 11Nm of torque. My wrench's range is from 6-32Nm...so it is my preferred tool since my 3/8" torque wrench's dial begins at 20Nm. I am using it to tighten an oil filter and the oil filter wrench requires either a 3/8" square drive or a 19mm socket, which I only have in 3/8". However, I do have a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that would allow me to use the 1/4" torque wrench.

Anyone see a problem using a 1/4" torque wrench with such an adapter? Obviously the parts all connect and work...but any reason to doubt the wrench's accuracy with such a setup?

Thanks!

There is a shade tree method to that one though, I think, and check on this, 1.25 turns after first contact?

There is a conversion, I think, if an extension is used though, not much, iirc, though

anyone ever have the wrench re calibrated?

Sounds like you have the two wrenches I have, a Craftsman and a Harbor Freight

As long as the adapter (whether it's a "reducer" or "enlarger" for the square drive) is on the same axis as the drive and the socket, there is no issue.
It's only when the adapter is offset, or "lengthening", that you need to recalculate the torque value (desired vs. actual applied).

Oil filters aren't "critical" as to torque (well, at least not for 1100/1150s)... wet the O-ring seal, snug 'er down, firm enough to make sure you'll get a good seal but not so tight that it'll give you grief next time you take it off. And always make sure that the old seal came out with the old filter.

good rule of thumb with oil filters is 1/3 turn after it stops spinning freely.

Sorry there is no rule!

How much to tighten after the gasket has made contact with the base can and will vary depending mostly on the gasket selected by the filter manufacturer. The gasket will vary in hardness, thickness and shape.

The best rule is to follow the indication on the fillter, Mann & Hummel oil filter for my RT is a MW75 and it is indicated +3/4 turns after the gasket has made contact with the base.

Here is some more information on Installation Instructions for Spin-On filters from The Filter Manufacturers Council

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/Councils/Filter-Manufacturers-Council/TSBs-2/English/93-3R1.pdf

Best regards

Egad- this is as bad as an oil thread.

My first thought about reaching for a torque wrench to put on an oil filter is to to think about getting someone else with more experience to do the work, before something gets broken.

There are only two things that matter when putting a filter on- get it tight enough not to leak and don't be dumb enough to strip a thread or get it so tight you need a breaker bar to get it off. Needing a torque wrench to do that suggest the need to pay better attention to Dirty Harry's line " a man has got to know his limitations"

If you can put the lid on a jar of pickles and not have it leak, a filter is easy...

+1

Egad- this is as bad as an oil thread.

My first thought about reaching for a torque wrench to put on an oil filter is to to think about getting someone else with more experience to do the work, before something gets broken.

There are only two things that matter when putting a filter on- get it tight enough not to leak and don't be dumb enough to strip a thread or get it so tight you need a breaker bar to get it off. Needing a torque wrench to do that suggest the need to pay better attention to Dirty Harry's line " a man has got to know his limitations"

If you can put the lid on a jar of pickles and not have it leak, a filter is easy...

Consider that the gasket is a big fat squishy rubber ring, then add that it is oiled prior to installation...
There is going to be a range in which it will seal properly, but not damage anything.
I have to think that the "spec" is in reality (oh my gosh) actually a strong guideline for "This is about what it ought to feel like."

There is a shade tree method to that one though, I think, and check on this, 1.25 turns after first contact?

There is a conversion, I think, if an extension is used though, not much, iirc, though

I hope this was tongue in cheek! There is a difference between an adapter and an extension. Use of an adapter...no problem...because the effective length of the torque wrench didn't change. An extension may or may not change the effective length of the torque wrench. If it did change the length, then some math will be needed.

One rule:)

Turn it until it does NOT leak:). Always works. Even the word SIMPLE has too many letters for many! I'm just funn'in:), don't get tweaked:). LOL

At some point this thread went from an "adapter" question to an "oil filter" question. Which is odd, because I never had a question about how to install an oil filter. But my adapter question was answered in spades.

I am grateful to all who've offered their help.

Thanks!

There is a difference between an adapter and an extension. Use of an adapter...no problem...because the effective length of the torque wrench didn't change. An extension may or may not change the effective length of the torque wrench. If it did change the length, then some math will be needed.

Semantics, I spose...extension can mean extending the handle, or a "spacer" between the ratchet mech and the socket. The former changes things, the latter doesn't, if I have that straight?

I may be wrong, but I don't think using a breaker bar on a torque wrench would change it's accuracy. Anything that offset the pivot point obviously would, but all a cheater would do is allow you to apply more pressure which the wrench would register normally up to it's limit.

Back