• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Goodbye to "K" Bikes

john1691

Well, after almost 8 years and 4 "K" bikes, I am leaving the brand for something less high tech and weight. I can't afford a third airbox/stepper motor in the '06 GT, and really don't need the 2-up capabilities as my wife just doesn't ride with me. I have found a KTM Supermoto that looks like fun, so will give that a try for a while. Once the used F800GS's come down in price, I might head in that direction, but with my third of three kids headed to college, and getting laid off again, I need to keep my toy costs down. Not that KTM repair parts are cheap, but carbs, chain drive, etc. are easy to work on.

I have fond memories of my "Checker" RS and S, not so much of the GT. Thankfully, I know if I change my mind, there will always be used K bikes out there.

Good luck to you all, ride safe.

Sorry to hear this. I too have fond memories of your checkerboard RS. :)

I've had good luck with my K, but it's an older model. I periodically look at used KRS and KGT bikes, but think I'll stick with what's worked for me. I recently took my KRS to the west coast, and we bonded a little more. :laugh

I enjoy the power and sport-touring aspect, but with 3 bulging disks in my neck need to be fairly upright, or I might have gone for a R1100S. The older "K" styling doesn't do it for me, so decided to look at other brands. Not sure how the KTM will do either, but time to try something different. My next BMW will probably be an Air Head, then possibly the F800, but need to get at least one kid graduated from college first. I'll keep up my MOA membership, ON is the best publication I get!

4 k bikes in 8 years? no wonder you're leaving the marque, it takes at least 20 years to properly bond with a K ! :laugh:laugh

Sorry to hear that. I had two K bikes from 86-now (85K100rs 220k gone, and 98K12rs 161k still ticking). I always wonder will it be another K bike in my future after another 50k miles or smiles on the 98.

Roc

4 k bikes in 8 years? no wonder you're leaving the marque, it takes at least 20 years to properly bond with a K ! :laugh:laugh

Yeah, looking back I should have kept the K1200RS, and never test ridden the K1200S......... Oh well. Live and learn. With my neck issues, the RS would have needed bar backs and it was still a bit heavy. Looking forward to trying something different.

Back