• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Excellent riding partner

rangerreece

RangerReece
Just got my book this week, I read slow, to thoroughly visualize every word. I'm on chapter four now, savoring each chapter, verse, and prose. First book I've enjoyed reading in I don't know how long.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 523
Anybody who talks to a motorcycle is crazy.
I'm not I'm not I'm not!
You're all crazy except me!
:hide

Just got back from 1,100 mile scoot to Iowa - book was waiting for me in accumulated mail.

Snuck a few peeks - looks like a hoot! :laugh

Just got my book this week, I read slow, to thoroughly visualize every word. I'm on chapter four now, savoring each chapter, verse, and prose. First book I've enjoyed reading in I don't know how long.

Reece: That was a nice thing to say, and I greatly appreciate it. I found this thread from your link on Friday. (Thanks for sending it.) I have worked on a Macintosh computer since the '80s (not the same one), and do not regularly fool around with settings and such. In fact, I got a Mac as I thought to never having to make an adjustment. I was unable to sign in to the forum on Friday, and immediately suspected something I might have inadvertently done. This made me crazy and the day got away from me before I could call the folks a headquarters. Turns out they flipped the forum program and bounced the passwords.

I got them on the line today and straightened the whole thing out.

As you may have discovered, things start to define themselves after chapter six. I grew up in a very rough place, hanging around with some very tough characters. I was in constant fear of being beaten up, and that was just from the women. I regret the book is about as accurate as it gets. I decided to just tell the truth, and see where it led me. I hope you enjoy the next 18 chapters as much as you like the first four.

Thanks again,
Reep

Anybody who talks to a motorcycle is crazy.
I'm not I'm not I'm not!
You're all crazy except me!
:hide

Dear Paul:

There is no mistake that motorcycles talk. Sometimes they whisper... And sometimes the just insinuate. But the road sometimes speaks today. It's been calling me by my first name all summer, and now it's getting nasty about it.

I wish it would show up on Amazon---Jack?

Dear Rock Bottom:

There are two reasons why it hasn't shown up n Amazon. The first is that nearly every copy printed has been sold directly to BMW MOA member or to a member of a chartered riding club. I personally inscribe all of them. You can't get an inscribed book from Amazon. The second reason is that Amazon takes a nice fat slice out of a dwindling commission ? without actively pursuing any promotional work. It will appear on Amazon in September, but those books will not be autographed either.

Autographed books can sometimes become collectible. My cigar book ? Politically Correct Cigar Smoking For Social Terrorist ? routinely sells between $45 and $250 on Amazon. There is no reason to believe the moto book will not follow suit. The current batch of books has a few imperfections in it. These are absent in the new edition coming out next month, which will make this batch very collectible. This will be true if I die soon. I caught a former wife putting arsenic in my coffee yesterday. Anything is possible.

Want an autographed book? Zap me at jpriepe@gmail.com. They are $20 plus $5 S&H. The wait is over. I have piles of these.

Thanks for asking.

Just got back from 1,100 mile scoot to Iowa - book was waiting for me in accumulated mail.

Snuck a few peeks - looks like a hoot! :laugh

Dear Kevin:

You were one of the winners in the reader response contest for my column. Actually, you weren't but you got a free book for being the first reader to respond. The three winners were Lee Shreve, Frank Curtis, and Donald Grant. Grant's book was the last to ship as he took a couple of days to send me his address. I am going to have regular prize giveaways in my column, and the "First Responder" category will be an occasional one.

As the members of my riding club will attest, I do not play with a full deck. My mother dropped me on my head from a 40-story building, five times in one day, when I was 15. I had totally forgotten about the contest when I got your reply. (This was due to the two-month lead time for the magazine and the fact that I have the attention span of a gnat.) When I read your first note, I thought "What fresh hell is this?" Then I had to go find the magazine to read what I'd written. I thought that was so funny that you got a book too.

Thanks for mentioning the book. Let me know what you think of it.

Just Finished the book

Thank you Jack for the book, occasional typeos and all, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I haven't sat down and read a book in a long time. The cover work was excellent. I will always treasure this book. No other book I've read accurately captures the way I feel about riding more accurately, or eloquently than this book. Sir, my hats off to you, you are a master of the sword and the pen.

I've been a Macintosh guy since I got back from Iraq in 2007 after spending the entire 15 month deployment with a dell Inspiron 5100 whose DVD player crapped out on me one week after I got boots on the ground in Kirkuk. I'm a spiteful SOB when it comes to technology. I like the stuff that works, I guess that's why I'm an apple guy on computers, and a Beemer guy on bikes and cars.

Hi Jack

...and sometimes they sing!

I was dropped at birth... the doctor was a butterfingers!

Thank you Jack for the book, occasional typeos and all, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I haven't sat down and read a book in a long time. The cover work was excellent. I will always treasure this book. No other book I've read accurately captures the way I feel about riding more accurately, or eloquently than this book. Sir, my hats off to you, you are a master of the sword and the pen.

I've been a Macintosh guy since I got back from Iraq in 2007 after spending the entire 15 month deployment with a dell Inspiron 5100 whose DVD player crapped out on me one week after I got boots on the ground in Kirkuk. I'm a spiteful SOB when it comes to technology. I like the stuff that works, I guess that's why I'm an apple guy on computers, and a Beemer guy on bikes and cars.

Regarding the imperfections in this edition:
Most publishers regard me as a real S.O.B. from start to finish. I get an idea in my head and it takes dynamite to get it out. In the last year that I worked on this book, I ended up putting in three or four 20-hour days per week. I was crazed. My daughter, who is also a writer, insisted I cull 30,000 words from the work when it was already on the press. It became a nightmare of quality control as the book was typeset 7 different times. I would introduce one set of errors as I corrected others. The errors will add to the charm and collectibility of this edition. The third printing of 2013 has been thoroughly corrected. It will lose something. It lacks the desperation that flavors this one.

No one has ever said to me, "I will treasure this book." I'll remember that. The sequel to this book will be out next summer. No matter what I guarantee, there will be new desperation in that one. The second book is called, "Motorcycles Speak Louder than Words..."

Thanks again. You made my day.

Will we see a kindle edition?

Dear Firenailer:

Not in the immediate future. I did a marketing survey of my readers, through my blog ? Twisted Roads ? and less than 1% of respondents were interested in a Kindle edition. A greater number, 12%, was interested in an audio book. That may become a reality, if we can work around my Jersey City accent. Before I die, I am looking to see a three book set of my work in a little box. And I want it in a legitimate library, if it is the last such place in the world.

Thanks for asking.

"Reep."

"Yeah, but did he then kick you over the goal posts?"

Dang, that must be where this big crack came from...:ha

The book will go nicely with the original cigar book.

That book, which was read in fine form at my in-laws house over a holiday week, helped me instill a sense of pride in them. The pride that only a fine set of parents can know when gaze upon their son-in-law who is now sitting in their 12 year old easy chair, while enjoying the highest-class gas station cigar. The addition of brandy-sipping, in a Wal-Mart bathrode (the local store for fine cigar jackets had closed three decades prior), next to their faux-wood fireplace, reading the classic Riepe novella ensured my place in their plans for inheritance divisions.

-David Grant, BMW MOA Director emeritus
(Donald is my Father who does not ride a BMW, but reminiscences about riding his Burgemeister Victoria when stationed in Germany in 1958)

The book will go nicely with the original cigar book.

That book, which was read in fine form at my in-laws house over a holiday week, helped me instill a sense of pride in them. The pride that only a fine set of parents can know when gaze upon their son-in-law who is now sitting in their 12 year old easy chair, while enjoying the highest-class gas station cigar. The addition of brandy-sipping, in a Wal-Mart bathrode (the local store for fine cigar jackets had closed three decades prior), next to their faux-wood fireplace, reading the classic Riepe novella ensured my place in their plans for inheritance divisions.

-David Grant, BMW MOA Director emeritus
(Donald is my Father who does not ride a BMW, but reminiscences about riding his Burgemeister Victoria when stationed in Germany in 1958)

Dear David:

Thank you for saying such nice things about the cigar book. I am thinking about reintroducing the cigar book in a new edition for Christmas. The cover and title have to be redesigned to keep me from being arrested and tried by secret court.

Do you remember the lofty aspirations of the cigar book? Do you recall the gentle, pastoral descriptions of the cigar book? Does the cigar book's blunted humor, suspended in a highly conservative writing style, come to mind? You can pretty much forget that. If you read "Conversations With A Motorcycle" at your in-laws house, aloud, you'll be burned at the stake. This is my most sophisticated, pin-point accurate, and funniest material. But all the cadmium rods have been removed. People are reading this one while standing in police line-ups. Toulouse LauTrek painted the gutter. I learned to ride in it. If my column scores a 5 on the Richter scale, this book is a 62.

You should have your book soon.

Back