• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1972 R75/5...Should I?

N

nicden13

Hi everyone! So I'm back in the market for another airhead. Came across a '72 R75/5 with maybe 50k or better on the clock. Was sitting for about 17 years in father-in-law's shed and the owner's wife took it to a very well known and trusted BMW mechanic here and dumped over $7,000 in it to get it back to life. Gave it to husband as a surprise anniversary gift. Nice! So, I went and saw the bike today and went through all of the receipts with the owner (great guy-selling for health reasons). Just about the whole electrical system was rebuilt, new diode board and all. Tires new and carbs rebuilt. I also called and spoke to the BMW mechanic who did all the work and knows the bike inside and out and he verified everything the owner told me. Mechanic told me the biggest problem with the bike is that it is not getting ridden enough. And I get that was not being funny. He really said that is the biggest problem. Bike started right up. With electric start. Did not try kick start. Owner seems to think the tank is some sort of upgrade because of its size. I'm not sure if that was an option at the time.
So because I have never owned a bike of this age, I'm wondering what you all think.
Oh, and he wants $4,000 for it.
ANY input much appreciated.

$4000 is not bad for an airhead in good condition, especially one that starts up and idles well cold. $4000 is a great price for one in excellent condition.

If you bought a $1000 bike, you'd have that kind of money in it when it was running right.

The biggest thing to know about early 70's airheads is the unleaded valve conversion. I own one that I bought in 1989, and it eventually needed that repair. If the receipts show that work being done, you would be golden.

Really, this sounds like a fine deal. It is indeed cheaper to let a previous owner restore a vehicle. Haha. I can't imagine dumping $7k in a bike at one time and it not being nearly immaculate.. and a $7k+ bike at $4k sounds good.

If he specifically made mention of a large or aftermarket tank, that itself could be valuable. If it's just the standard large tank, then not so much.

I wonder why an electrical system would be rebuilt. If it was "upgraded" (modernized), that could also be a valuable addition for some perspective buyers. I still have the stock 70's systems on my airheads, though.

Pictures would be nice..

I've tried to post some pictures but the upload button does nothing when I press it...:scratch

I've tried to post some pictures but the upload button does nothing when I press it...:scratch

file may be too big, I think it needs to be 156k or something ridiculously tiny. Or you can link it to photobucket or something similar.

The process is also somewhat slow with no indication it is working. If the picture is of a reasonable size (156K was mentioned...it can even be a little bigger and the software will trim to fit), just wait...it might take upwards of a minute.

Nice looking bike. Rigged out for Krauser type bags, clean, a large 6.3 tank not a custom something, and looks like it is all there. Are there any of the reciepts for the $7000 of work or at least a list of what is done? Are the bags there? Included in the deal?........Good find for you......God bless........Dennis

Yes, I have seen all of the receipts and personally know the BMW mechanic that did the work. He really is the go-to guy in this area for all things BMW bikes. There are no bags included but he did replace the side stand with a Brown. He said there is some room in the price. I'm just not sure where to begin the negotiations.

Where is the bike? Hee Hee I have $4k

If you are confident in the mechanics I think you are being offered a great deal. I paid that much for my 90/6 and then spent at least that much getting
the engine rebuilt. And I would think the /5 would be worth more than that. You might try to negotiate the price enough for a toaster tank.

Pics look good, you've got the receipts and the word of a skilled mechanic that you trust.

As others have said, if you bought an inexpensive airhead to start with, it wouldn't take long at all to get to $4K to get it back on the road.

James has forgotten more about R75's than I'll ever know.

So, I'd say get the bike if it's an R75 that you want. The price is fair, condition is very good, why not go for it?

Now that I've seen the pictures, I'd STRONGLY advise you walk away from this bike. And, please forward the seller's contact information to me! ;)

offer him $3500

and split the difference with him... that will give you almost enough to add the bags and racks.... or at least a start towards them.

Have you looked to see if it has been converted to long wheel-base (LWB) ?

Can you post a photo of the drive shaft tube of the swingarm?

looks like a short wheelbase, where the rear rim meets the subframe forty five degree down tube.

Start low always prepared to walk. There's a lot of airheads out there.
What was it, twenty thousand R90S's alone were manufactured not counting the R60's and R75's. Then came the /7's and so on. that's my 2 spicolees for nothin.

Not to change the topic, but whooee, it's been cold out here. Usually high 50's in the morning warming to a pleasant mid to high 70's. Absotootly amazingly perfect for morning rides. and this for the last several weeks.

looks like a short wheelbase, where the rear rim meets the subframe forty five degree down tube.

Start low always prepared to walk. There's a lot of airheads out there.
What was it, twenty thousand R90S's alone were manufactured not counting the R60's and R75's. Then came the /7's and so on. that's my 2 spicolees for nothin.

Not to change the topic, but whooee, it's been PERFECT out here. Usually high 50's in the morning warming to a pleasant mid to high 70's. Absotootly amazingly perfect for morning rides. and this for the last several weeks.

I fixed your post for you. I agree.

this has been perfect temps for airheads, in fact can't believe each morning, sunny, cool, late afternoon with a couple pints watching grass grow. Hope it holds till next year at the fair grounds. NOw back to looking for another airhead project.

Back