• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Track Day!

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
Doing my first ever track day next week at Oregon Raceway Park. I am super excited. Going to do it on my F650GS instead of the big Bandit. Question: any difference in tire pressure for running at high speeds to the recommended 36 rear 32 front pressure? I have Metzeler Tourance Nexts on the bike.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Last edited:
Generally you run them softer so there is more rubber on the pavement, and they flex more and build heat to increase traction.

Never ran with Tourances, but on sport tires the general rule of thumb is to start at 30 psi f&R. If you have a real good gauge, you generally want to see a 10% rise after a session.

Generally you run them softer so there is more rubber on the pavement, and they flex more and build heat to increase traction.

Never ran with Tourances, but on sport tires the general rule of thumb is to start at 30 psi f&R. If you have a real good gauge, you generally want to see a 10% rise after a session.

Thanks, that makes sense. I do have a pretty good gauge and will check before and after.

Have fun. Make sure you report back!

Remember that each time you check air, the psssst you get does lower pressure. Typically 2-4 checks on the front tire will drop a pound. All that said is just be judicious in how often you check unless you have an air supply with you.

Be rested and relaxed before you get there. Have your stuff packed/loaded etc ahead of time so you aren't scurrying around late the night before. Eat, rest, and drink well. Stay hydrated.

You will learn a lot. If you can, do both days. The first day is like a deer in headlights. You then figure out what is going on and the second day you really start to apply the lessons. Pay attention and give energy trying what they teach you.

NCS

Remember that each time you check air, the psssst you get does lower pressure. Typically 2-4 checks on the front tire will drop a pound. All that said is just be judicious in how often you check unless you have an air supply with you.

Be rested and relaxed before you get there. Have your stuff packed/loaded etc ahead of time so you aren't scurrying around late the night before. Eat, rest, and drink well. Stay hydrated.

You will learn a lot. If you can, do both days. The first day is like a deer in headlights. You then figure out what is going on and the second day you really start to apply the lessons. Pay attention and give energy trying what they teach you.

NCS

Good advise especially hydration, yellow or no pee, means drink more!

NCS

Thanks, all good advice. I will report back. Unfortunately I can only do one day - I wanted to do both days but the buddy I am riding out with did not want to commit to that.

Well have fun.

Also, this is important for your venue. ASK QUESTIONS, ASK FOR HELP on things you are learning. Esp since you have only 1 day. The coaches will watch for obvious things they see. If you are trying to get your mind around how best to do something, they can't read your mind, bring it up to them. Ask them to show you , watch you, help you. You will get far more out of it by doing this than by trying to figure it out all by yourself. Make it a dialogue through out the day.. They are a great bunch of folks committed to helping you accomplish your goals.

NCS

Back