• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I keep a dry bottom?

I too used to have this problem...I used to call it 'boat butt' (the feeling you get from sitting on an aluminum jon boat bench seat for a couple hours). The best tip I ever got was from a long distance bicycle racer. Now how to say this tactfully....use a razor and shave your backside and 'nether regions' clean and smooth, and keep it that way. Be thorough in your efforts. The irritation is from the hair folicles and the hair also keeps thing hot and messy. I never get boat butt or monkey butt anymore! And if you shave your legs, your pants will be much more comfy too...

Now that I'm letting all of my secrets out, (hey, I'm among friends right?) I use clippers and keep the hair on my upper thighs cut short, but not shaved.

Then try the bead rider, and make sure it is big enough to overlap the sides of your seat, so the air can get under it. On a chilly day, I can feel the breeze on my behind, and I ride in Carhart jeans or regular jeans.

YMMV!!!

I think that hair is for a reason

I too used to have this problem...I used to call it 'boat butt' (the feeling you get from sitting on an aluminum jon boat bench seat for a couple hours). The best tip I ever got was from a long distance bicycle racer. Now how to say this tactfully....use a razor and shave your backside and 'nether regions' clean and smooth, and keep it that way. Be thorough in your efforts. The irritation is from the hair folicles and the hair also keeps thing hot and messy. I never get boat butt or monkey butt anymore! And if you shave your legs, your pants will be much more comfy too...

Now that I'm letting all of my secrets out, (hey, I'm among friends right?) I use clippers and keep the hair on my upper thighs cut short, but not shaved.

Then try the bead rider, and make sure it is big enough to overlap the sides of your seat, so the air can get under it. On a chilly day, I can feel the breeze on my behind, and I ride in Carhart jeans or regular jeans.

YMMV!!!

I suggest that "aklepacki" read this first. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060820101833AATEodN

I was scouring the internet looking for some solution to the problem you are having. I found none but I did find the above site with info from a person that tried shaving his butt and the outcome. I have nothing to do with it's content; I make this disclaimer now.

DWYii

I'm sticking to my stance that it's all about evaporation and airflow.
Trap moisture, then stew in it, and you'll get Monkey Butt.
No amount of powders, sprays, or anything else will cure the problem.
Take all that money you spend on this crap and buy some natural fiber, light weight wicking underwear.
Shaving might actually help, because it facilitates not trapping sweat/moisture.

Just read a test of a bunch of products meant to take care of this problem, on some men's website yesterday.

There are two basic choices:

Cornstarch based products (J&J Baby Powder, some sprays, etc..) and Talc based products.

Of all the products the "medicated" talc based ones came in first, and I seem to recall the GoldBond spray being tops. Good performance at a reasonable price. He did caution to spray from 8-9" away from the boys since the propellant is a refrigeration coolant, and spraying closer might end up with frosty boys.

Third on the list was the Gold Bond powder.. only reason it was 3rd was the propensity for it go fly around everywhere when applying it. It worked as well as the two other products. On a cost basis - it's one of the cheapest.

AntiMonkey Butt powder was reviewed - it's basically a talc based product at a high price.

Cornstarch based products were rated low since it tends to absorb the moisture and turn to corn-mush, making for an even worse experience.

Most of the others were similar, but didn't have the "medication" (menthol actually) of Gold Bond, or were priced at some absolutely silly price (but packed in a manly looking container with a catchy name..)

I'm a Gold Bond fan. Used with LD-Comfort shorts under pants under my AeroStich, butt wetness has ceased to be a problem. I get butt pain, but it's the other kind caused by getting old, not having a sweaty butt.

Depends !!!!!!

That's what I was thinking! If they can absorb bladder contents, surely they would handle a little sweat!

How old are we?? No wonder BMW can't attract a younger customer base, we sit around and discuss some poor guys sweaty butt...... :laugh

I'm sticking to my stance that it's all about evaporation and airflow.
Trap moisture, then stew in it, and you'll get Monkey Butt.
No amount of powders, sprays, or anything else will cure the problem.
Take all that money you spend on this crap and buy some natural fiber, light weight wicking underwear.
Shaving might actually help, because it facilitates not trapping sweat/moisture.

I agree, as I suffer from SAS (swamp ass syndrome) with the best, er, worst of them. Since I live and ride primarily in Wisconsins I have that going for me. But even a 75 degree day will eventually leave me with the "dampy packies". Ligth weight wicking underwear may work for some but not for me and others with SAS. I paid $35 for BMW's rider unders and it did not help either. What also affects SAS is layers. Most of us wear underwear, then jeans, then tuck at least a t-shirt into the jeans, and now we have three layers of cotton or cotton/synthetic blends packed on top of each other, doing a good job of trapping heat just like they're supposed to do for cold weather application. Speaking of cold, when I downhill ski in the winter, those multi-layers along with Columbia ski-pants do a good job at producing SAS even in 15 to 20 degrees F.

You can boast about all the technical do-dad fancy pants undies you want, Monkey-Butt powder, etc, etc, it comes down to airflow, ventilation and minimizing layers. I have tried everything (but an Airhawk), and the only things that work are those that allow airflow. So a bead-seat is a real alternative even if it looks a bit different. The newer "prescription strength anti-perspirants" also help if you slather it around the nether lands down there. So I often slather on the high-perf antiperspirant, ditch the unders and go commando, and now ride on a seat of my own design with ducted airflow under me.

It helps, but not perfect yet. So the next seat I build for my R1200RS project bike will have a center notch lengthwise in the seat to provide a gap for airflow between me and the vynil (and some clearance for Mr. Happy and the twins).

Attachments

• RS Seat.JPG
    RS Seat.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
W/O a doubt the best seat I ever owned. I let it go when I sold my RT to Ted Moyer and now wish I had it back. :cry

Did the Redmond 1000 on that seat thru some of the hottest parts of the country, WY, UT, ID, Eastern OR and never even thought about my bottom being hot. A non-issue

This is indeed is amazing airflow under the butt. Not sure anything can stay dry at even lower speeds.

Works really well that way, and comfy too. Little slippery with textile pants though.

I like the open fly idea but standing every so often won't work. How about a "ram air" setup? An air snorkle tucked up under the oil cooler connected to some flexible duct and piped right up to where it's needed in the horn of the drivers saddle. A simple flap to open and close it according to need and temperature. Sounds crazy eh??

Been there, doing that right now with my seat design which has the airflow hole right through the seat pan and foam. See the pic in my earlier post on this thread. I have it ducted to the front of the bike, where I installed an "air intake duct" (also known as the flat style attachment for the end of the shop vac hose). Thinking I'd get ALL KINDS OF RAM AIR FLOW right where I need/want it.

Well, surprise, surprise, the actual results of ram-air is far less than you'd think. Marginal at best, more like minimal. Last week after finishing up at the BMW shop (work there part time), on a hot day, feeling a bit "soggy", I hopped on my ducted-seat RS and when at 60mph I did feel a cooling breeze down under. But not as much as you think there would be.

On my RS, the intake duct is mounted to the bottom fairing lip just under the air intake to the oil cooler, right at the lower leading edge fo the fairing. I thought there has to be significant forced airflow there. But, I think the front tire/fender does a lot to inhibit direct airflow in that area. At one time I toyed with the idea of using a similar air intake duct at the front to the intake snout for the airbox. But the result of the ducted-seat tells me there would be no real gain in that idea, other than perhaps getting cooler intake air to the engine.

I keep trying to read this thread.
But then I throw up in my mouth a little.
Again.
Please, make it stop.

Try the Bead Seat

and let us know how that works. My in-laws here in Taiwan sleep on a bamboo mat over their mattress in the summer time and swear by it. They said it keep them cooler and they have been doing it for the past 75 years. People here also have them on their car seats to keep from having a wet bottom. I on the other hand turn on the A/C in the house and the car; the heck with sleeping on bamboo. I have seen them on some scooter seats here but I think its mostly to keep the hot sun off the seat and having to sit on a hot seat. Let us know if you try the Bead Seat and if it works.

DW

You must be one of the lucky DVD, "Death Valley Drybutt" riders.

Nah, just playin' witcha. (sorta)
May you find a solution, why not a seat made entirely of like cagey carbon fibre?
Price range would be appropriate for a BMW I'll bet.
I think one thing you identified is that it is not just the seat but what you are wearing as well.

Too harsh on the Soggy Bottom Boys?
Will likely be my turn in the barrel soon enough and ya'all can point and laugh, OK?
Heya Bud!! :wave

Does this mean I'm out of the running for "Miss Congeniality"?
OK just slap me.

Last edited:
Back