• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I keep a dry bottom?

HELP!!!
I turned 65 this year. I have been riding since I was 20. This is my 4th BMW since 2002; currently a 95' R100RT. In 45 years, I still have not found a way to keep my bottom dry while riding in temps above 75F, from late spring thru early fall months. The furthest I can ride is 75-80 miles before I can't sit any longer because my bottom is itchy and irritated, and my pants are wet. I have tried a Bead Rider on my BMW comfort seat; I have tried wearing 65% polyester/30% cotton pants instead of jeans; I just tried LD Comfort shorts - no help; I bought a used Russell Day-Long last fall (comfy) and tried that in combination with the LD Comfort shorts - still got a wet, itchy bottom at 92F last week @ 78 miles. The only combination I haven't tried yet is the Bead Rider on the Russell with LD Comfort.
People can ride 100's of miles in a day -- how do they do it? I've almost reached the point where I DON'T want to ride because I can't.
What else can I try?
What are the best pants to wear?
An article written by David Hough in NW Sound Rider says to wear a riding suit and keep it closed in hot weather -- how does he keep his bottom dry? I don't care if the rest of me is sweating.

to bmwrider 88
I haven't worn cotton underwear for the past 7 years. I only wear Duluth Trading's Buck Naked Diamond knit performance nylon wicking boxer briefs. I wore them when working outdoors everyday. Even they don't help when I ride.

Last edited:
bottom

If the LD Comfort shorts, Russell seat with bead rider doesn't do it, I'm not sure anything out there will work for you.

Alan, a lot of guys use talcum powder and other similar powders, but you've probably already tried that. Sounds like a ventilation issue. Might want to bring your pants to the tailor and have maybe six 1/2" or 3/4" (gusset type) holes sewn into the crotch area. I suspect this might help. I might add that a beadrider is critical to getting air under the seat area.

A few years ago, I purchased some riding pants that absolutely did not breath. I hated the things, so I found that I didn't ride. Don't give up. Try the holes idea.

I'm not sure that you can with full riding gear. Products like Desitin used for infants before the sweat occurs will keep the sweat at bay for a time. If you have some military friends that have spent time in the jungle, they had come creative ways to keep the irritation down but again- it didn't involve full riding gear.
Good luck.
OM

Open your fly while riding for ventilation. If you ride a GS, stand up on the pegs to get some air flowing in there. :dance

Monkey Butt

is the [un]common name for the malady which you've described.

While it might not seem too obvious, you could definitely, without question, gain some measure of comfort simply by changing your underwear...

and by that I don't mean take extras along on each ride, but rather, ditch the cotton, and step up to some shorts of some other fabric. Cotton not only doesn't breathe, it also traps moisture. And this, my friend, is THE source of the problem. It's no big leap to know you are wearing old style cotton undies here.

In the outdoor enthusiast world, there was a trend of going to "modern" fabrics, designed to "wick" moisture away from the body. (remember "layers" back in the
70s/80s/90s?) Polypropylene (nasty stuff) was hot for a minute, as was silk, and microfabrics of various blends. The current "trend" is going back to wool! Yep. Extra thin, super light weight merino wool is enjoying a comeback currently, in the realm of underwear, socks, and lightweight long johns IE: base layers. SO throw out all that old cotton underwear and step into the 21st century with some WOOL!! :laugh

Here are a couple informative links from Icebreaker brand Merino Wool sellers. Take the time to look at these. This is not BS.

http://us.icebreaker.com/Why-Icebreaker-Merino/why-wear-icebreaker-merino,en,pg.html

http://us.icebreaker.com/Why-Icebreaker-merino/how-does-icebreaker-merino-perform,en,pg.html

The point is to let "everything" breathe - which traditional cotton underwear doesn't allow, and also to wick moisture away from your body - which really makes a HUGE comfort (and/or lifesaving) difference in cold weather, as well as being beneficial in hot weather.

I see a couple folks mentioned certain brands of riding gear/wear... Check into it, or check a local bicycle shop, or outdoor "outfitter" to see what they may have for you. The "shorts" I wear are Calvin Klein- in either a cotton/nylon/spandex blend, or nylon/spandex. These are admittedly expensive BUT COMFY. They come in ALL kinds of shapes, IE: trunks, briefs, etc. I see Icebreaker underwear is on sale, tho... I'm gonna order a pair and see how they work for me.

Monkey Butt?
Say bye bye now.

You mention you wear jeans. Jeans don't breath (unless you install the ventilated crotch that was suggested).
I also sweat, a lot. And I live and ride in Texas where it's always hot. I've found the best solution for me is LD shorts under Olympia ventilated pants on a beadrider seat. And every time I slow down I stand up to let some air flow through the pants to speed evaporation. I also, sometimes, spread Vaseline in sensitive areas that tend to get a rash in the heat.
With this setup I can ride all day in 100+ heat and not get the dreaded Monkey Butt.

Oh the jungle

I'm not sure that you can with full riding gear. Products like Desitin used for infants before the sweat occurs will keep the sweat at bay for a time. If you have some military friends that have spent time in the jungle, they had come creative ways to keep the irritation down but again- it didn't involve full riding gear.
Good luck.
OM
That world be ranger Mullins in the lower right hand corner. Panama 1988

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 374
is the [un]common name for the malady which you've described.

While it might not seem too obvious, you could definitely, without question, gain some measure of comfort simply by changing your underwear...

and by that I don't mean take extras along on each ride, but rather, ditch the cotton, and step up to some shorts of some other fabric. Cotton not only doesn't breathe, it also traps moisture. And this, my friend, is THE source of the problem. It's no big leap to know you are wearing old style cotton undies here.

In the outdoor enthusiast world, there was a trend of going to "modern" fabrics, designed to "wick" moisture away from the body. (remember "layers" back in the
70s/80s/90s?) Polypropylene (nasty stuff) was hot for a minute, as was silk, and microfabrics of various blends. The current "trend" is going back to wool! Yep. Extra thin, super light weight merino wool is enjoying a comeback currently, in the realm of underwear, socks, and lightweight long johns IE: base layers. SO throw out all that old cotton underwear and step into the 21st century with some WOOL!! :laugh

Here are a couple informative links from Icebreaker brand Merino Wool sellers. Take the time to look at these. This is not BS.

http://us.icebreaker.com/Why-Icebreaker-Merino/why-wear-icebreaker-merino,en,pg.html

http://us.icebreaker.com/Why-Icebreaker-merino/how-does-icebreaker-merino-perform,en,pg.html

The point is to let "everything" breathe - which traditional cotton underwear doesn't allow, and also to wick moisture away from your body - which really makes a HUGE comfort (and/or lifesaving) difference in cold weather, as well as being beneficial in hot weather.

I see a couple folks mentioned certain brands of riding gear/wear... Check into it, or check a local bicycle shop, or outdoor "outfitter" to see what they may have for you. The "shorts" I wear are Calvin Klein- in either a cotton/nylon/spandex blend, or nylon/spandex. These are admittedly expensive BUT COMFY. They come in ALL kinds of shapes, IE: trunks, briefs, etc. I see Icebreaker underwear is on sale, tho... I'm gonna order a pair and see how they work for me.

Monkey Butt?
Say bye bye now.

I haven't worn cotton underwear for the past 7 years. I only wear Duluth Trading's Buck Naked Diamond knit performance nylon wicking boxer briefs. I wore them when working outdoors everyday. Even they don't help when I ride.

I sweat with the best out there! I used to lose an unreal amount of weight in sports & military activities. If your familiar with wrestlers "making their weight" via sweating I've done that too. I ride with a sheepskin pad. I wear underwear that's designed for active sports-it does not have to be LD as thats only one brand & another may fit you better-worth the comparison 7 they don't "own" that market. No jeans but I do wear hiking shorts in warmer weather & makes an easy transition to street clothes I wear most of the time. My latest "great thing" is the Gold Bond spray powder that "Shaq" advertises on TV. I now know why he has that clever smile on his face cause his butt is cool:groovy:groovy:groovy & dry. The powder coating isn't like the coating of powder you get from monkey butt powder(too pricey-use baby powder instead!) or baby powder but it does work and cools your butt- I also spray it in places that require TMI:brow
$6.95 a pop but I'm into my 2nd can,it flat works!
Hey maybe you(OP) need to see a doc cause you have an overactive something or other?:)
As a sweater I still find this funny!

Hmmm, interesting. I gotta point out that peoples' sweat differs in many ways- some folks are more or less acidic, for example. This could have to do with anything from diet to general composition and naturally occurring metabolic variances.

Maybe you should try something besides nylon? Something natural like silk, or merino wool? I ordered a pair of 150 gram merino wool Icebreaker under shorts. Anxious to see how they work. Never had this problem myself, but I swear by breathable fabrics and layers for many uses. When I'm riding, for long distance I wear leather, and locally I typically wear jeans. Long distance could mean 12 hour (or longer) days, "local" could mean anything from across town to up'ards of 200 miles or more. I've worked in heavy industrial environments for over 30 years and never had to deal with Monkey Butt... lucky me, eh?

Good luck!

I guess everyone gets it once in awhile, but try to make sure all the areas are clean before leaving. Use cottonelle wet wipes after you go, and then powder, powder and more powder. You're probably giving yourself diaper rash.

They even sell Monkey Butt Powder for what your describing. Try some.

W/O a doubt the best seat I ever owned. I let it go when I sold my RT to Ted Moyer and now wish I had it back. :cry

The most expensive seat I ever owned, and didn't like it. Went with Russell again instead, but hey, all butts are different.

As to the other butt problem, Gold Bond makes a couple of powders, Zeasorb is another good one, and there are others.

Back