• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Driveshaft failure 2007 R1200GSA

I don't post very often, I saw this subject and as far as I can remember this is kind of rare isn't it?
As far as I've seen - that's with quite a few R1200xx's in my two local clubs, and following threads on the Internet - yes, it's kind of rare (IMHO - and ONLY my opinion - don't take it as gospel.) I know of 3 or perhaps 4 failures of a driveshaft on an R1200xx bike, 3 of them were rear universals, one was a front.

I have replaced cv shaft assemblies in my kid's Buick, my Ranger 4x4, my wife's car but the mileage was higher and it was usually due to a boot tear and it's cheaper to replace the shaft assembly.
Was there any warning at all?
Dunno. Usually when a universal starts to fail on a car - you get vibration, or noise - or both. Does that happen on a bike - dunno. I would expect it would, but with no personal experience - it's a dunno. I do regularly sit on a stool behind my bike and rotate the rear wheel. I'm mostly doing this to inspect the tire (for nails or other damage), but I would hope if there was a universal going bad, it might make a noise. So far - 71,000+ miles, when I do this - it's quiet and smooth turning the rear wheel. I also DO inspect the rear universal when I drop the rear drive to do a fluid change (about every 12,000 miles.) I feel the motion of the universal - and it again should move smoothly and quietly in all directions.

The Alcan Hwy is in the sticks man bad luck.
Indeed it is. The other thing to make sure of - that the rubber accordian boots that connect the swingarm to the transmission and rear drive are correctly installed and sealed. At least two of the failed rear universals I saw had signs of a LOT of moisture being in the area. The yokes were badly rusted, and it appeared the bearings may also have been rusted.

The driveshaft does run in a sealed chamber IF the rubber boots are correctly installed (and for people who think the big hole in the bottom of the rear drive flange connects to the universal area - it doesn't. Look at it very carefully next time you have the drive dropped to change the oil.) The rear boot is the troublesome one since it's disturbed whenever you service the rear drive. It has plastic expanding clips in both ends of the boot that push the rubber out to make a seal on the swingarm and rear-drive. The rubber that seals to these surfaces is supposed to have a coating of grease on it to help make the seal. When correctly installed - it appears (from my bike at least, that has seen enough heavy rain use) the seal is quite effective.

That all said - I keep a spare driveshaft on my parts shelf for the bike. Bought it for a very good price on an Ebay auction, off a low mileage R1200R that was front end crashed. It sits in it's mailing tube on the shelf, ready to be sent to me if I experience a problem when off on a trip. Having it there makes it almost certain I'll never need it (Eilenberger's Law of Parts #1 - you never need what you have on hand.)

It isn't something that gives me a lot of concern. If you're headed into the wilds of Alaska - it might be prudent to inspect the U-joints and the sealing on the swingarm boots before going. If nothing else - it will probably give you some peace of mind.

I don't post very often, I saw this subject and as far as I can remember this is kind of rare isn't it?
I have replaced cv shaft assemblies in my kid's Buick, my Ranger 4x4, my wife's car but the mileage was higher and it was usually due to a boot tear and it's cheaper to replace the shaft assembly.
Was there any warning at all?
The Alcan Hwy is in the sticks man bad luck.

Hundreds have posted on public sites (perhaps thousands involved, since not all go public with their issues) with FD failures on their BMW motorcycles.

Please define "rare." :banghead

Read;

This topic is driveshafts, NOT FDs! Just a tad difference. I just did a 12000m journey throughout the Alaska and Arctic regions, all the way to Arctic Ocean. GSA1200 took a monster beating from conditions up there, moreso than what most put theirs thru, no doubt. I know many shaft failures are from folks riding lower 48 and so on? Many can indeed give GSAs a workout down here too, no question. Ive seen folks doing wheelies on these bikes and talk about a abuse to shaft scenario!!!I imagine NOT many do this, but some do and they ask for failures, imo.. Guess I do too, beating mine in the Arctic region, North Coast. Just one point; I inspect my bike regular, self service almost entirely forever now. I sure am scared of things breaking and so on that could do me harm. I do not go on long journeys, however looking for my bike to give me too much grief, doing my chores before leaving home. Good service looksees:). Its possible we miss things, inevitably so as humans and these breaks happen to us on the roadtrips:(. I'm looking harder at my driveshaft now, because a member has been here, seen this happen. My high miles GSA is longer in tooth now and needs more intense looksee service as I go about my pretrip inspects. So far and in most cases, these bikes are not falling apart with failures, BUT its nice to know when one occurs and we all learn valuable advice for future service of our machines. Take notice when a member has a grief of such, I sure do and look at my bike better next time for pre trip inspections....ANYBODY give good data on just HOW TO remove driveshaft. My dealer says the thing pops out back of housing, after loosening front boot to gain leverage? I already know the FD has to be lowered, a given! Guess its a real TUG required to get it out and over snap ring holding it at front joint??? Some good advice would be cool, as I can imagine folks doing this job soon at home! Me....I have gone this far, loosening front rubber boot and visaually looking at both ends of driveshaft, all clean, no rust:). BUT, its not popping loose as my guy described it should come out back of housing quite easy? THX, Randy

Front U-joint failure

I was into Missouri headed for Duluth on 8/22/13 with just over 38K on my '07GSA when at about 60mph I thought the road surface was changing. Subtle vibration at first but when it worsened within a mile or so I pulled off the road and could smell the burning grease as well as see smoke exiting from the front driveshaft U-joint area. The U-joint had failed.:banghead

Thank goodness for my MOA premium membership. Being a Thursday morning I called the MOA in St. Louis and Joe gave me the number for the tow truck folks plus all the necessary numbers and within an hour the bike was on a roll back headed for Bentonville BMW, IMHO one of the best dealerships on earth.

When we arrived at the dealership Jerry, one of the owners, imparted a good piece of wisdom to remember. Don't put the bike on the centerstand. On a long bumpy ride the weight of the bike can actually bend the frame. Fortunately it hadn't happened to mine.

A friend who rides an '08 RT had a similar experience just a couple months ago.

Is this an epidemic?

I reported it to the NHTSA as well and encourage others to do the same. [URL="http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov[/URL]

Just an observation - it appears from the few reports I've seen that the GS and GSA are a bit more prone to this failure (certainly the case on the R1100/R1150GS series - where more failures have been reported.)

I suspect the reason is the working angles of the universal are more extreme on a GS than on bikes like the R1200R (where at normal loading - the driveshaft is basically straight - no real bending in the universal joints.)

I observed one of our local club members who had an R1150GS that he rode for about 225K miles - with the original driveshaft still working OK. I suspect the reason was - he's a big boy - and when he sat on the bike the suspension was compressed enough that the driveshaft was basically straight, no bending angle in the universals. He certainly didn't baby the bike - with over 200k on it he took it to the BMW Motorrad off-road training course in South Carolina. He loved the experience. He finally bought a new hexhead (now with over 100k on it) when the engine blew up on the R1150GSA.

The other local club member who did experience a failure had two things working against him.. his rear boot was torn, and there was water and rust in the driveshaft housing and around the input shaft of the rear drive, and he often rode two up on long trips, neither he nor his SO would be described as small people. When they were on the RT with gear - the rear suspension was quite compressed, and the angle on the universals had to be approaching the angle on a standard GS. It did give him some warning, he was riding with me, pulled alongside and flagged me down, said he felt something funny in the bike. We centerstanded it, turned the rear wheel and called the tow truck. His Contego extended warranty paid the repair bill.

Just a random observation.

Drive shaft Failure 2010R1200RT

I recently had the rear u-joint fail (caught it before it broke) @ 105k. Use? I'm an old man who rides like, well, an old man. I can report that on my RT, the drive shaft does not come out the back of the swing arm, the swing arm must be removed. I now have a Bruno's rebuilt shaft. Also failing at the same time was the final drive big bearing, a "lubed for life" sealed unit. Does anyone know if all years of hex heads had the sealed bearing? I'd like to get rid of it and put in an open bearing if possible.

I recently had the rear u-joint fail (caught it before it broke) @ 105k. Use? I'm an old man who rides like, well, an old man.
105K on a 2010? I can't offer answers to your questions implied or otherwise. But, as one old man to another...impressive!

On the big-hole drives the big (crown gear) bearing doesn't sit in the oil bath. It is on the dry side of the oil seal.

Thanks, that clarifies it. I'll just have to live with it and replace the bearing as "PM" in another 80k or so.

'07gsa

Servicing my '07GSA and I find my BIG FD bearing has play again! I took it in and my BMW shop did the replacement again, after 33000m from last rebuild. My driveshaft shows no sign of wear as of 108000m.. Subject came up indeed, as we share many thoughts here and I shared mine with BMW Master Tech doing my FD. This is a 40+ year BMW Master Wrench thoughts. They have seen a few driveshafts indeed come thru, all models involved. Most are from owners having no clue to what to watch for when things go bad, absolutely no experience in mechanical issues. Some have had catastrophic failures and much due to owners not knowing when a matter of concern is upon them! Warnings do exist in many cases of driveshaft failure, most cases per this conversation and with proper inspections, a shaft failure will be obvious well before a roadside incident occurs. I speak from my techs mouth with his well deserved years of experience and clearly an expert. We too, are experts, many of us riding for decades and nearing millions of miles, so take no insult from anothers opinion. Just listen. This guy makes a living for 4+ decades working on BMWs and see's stupid come thru his door frequently enough. You cannot share this kind of wisdom with your customers always, or find yourself workless! I think we need to become more aware of our machines and KNOW the ins and outs more to inspect our bikes and catch things before they happen. I must agree as a lifelong biker wrench myself, I believe a shaft failure will give some more signal well before it falls apart, not just a short mile or two. Some have stated, just that happened and I find it hard to imagine the shaft bearings just fell out in a mile or two! This thing had to give some signal, IF we'd had just listened or did a better inspect, pretrip. I do mine every oil change, tire changes, just anytime up on lift I look see all my bike and listen. Rusty joints are a sign of 100s or 1000s of miles added and this too was an indicator in many of the above broken bikes. You simply gotta watch your bike better, remove those boots, look underneath and see what makes your bike tick! If ya don't, expect the worse or at least pay to have the bike inspected proper. Sleep better.

I can certainly see how a worn bearing starting to rumble could be undetected when riding on a gravel road say in Alaska.

I haven't yet had the fun of a shaft failure on a bike but have had a couple go in cages. In a cage one gets a decent warning unless one is an oblivious driver.

I'd expect to get a reasonable warning from a bike shaft in most cases- though it might get masked in off road riding. I don't need a tpms to tell me when my bike or cage tires are getting low.

Not necessarily so. Voni's R1100RS had a driveshaft failure while she was riding a good paved road in Arkansas. I had ridden the bike that same morning and detected no sign of any issue. When I got it home and tore it down it was obvious that the U joint had been bad for a while. A couple of the ends on the cross trunion looked like they had been in a pencil sharpener, and the roller bearings were ground to dust.

This failure was at just over 200K miles. I have heard of a few just over 100K miles, so advise careful inspection of the driveshaft periodically because I don't believe you can depend on warning signs on these driveshafts.

As dangerous as it sounds, does anyone have personal knowledge of an injury resulting from the driveshaft breaking? The few I've heard of all ended the same way as this one. A ruined trip but no injury.

Yes. Lyle Grimes had a driveshaft break which locked up the rear wheel at speed. It also broke the swingarm on his bike. He crashed. The bike was seriously hurt. He had injuries but not life threatening ones.

update

I've been contacted twice by BMW regarding my letter and was told it was moving up the ladder (hope this means something) -- the people who contacted me weren't motorcycle riders and I'm not sure they fully understood what I was saying -- will post again when and if I hear from BMW again --

Ed, glad you caught your drive shaft in time!!

This one happened in the parking lot of the dealer. Bike was in for its 600 mile check. BMW initially made noise about it being rider abuse, but backed down pretty quickly. Ended up fixing the bike for fre and providing a loaner (new F800GS) to the owner so he could make a trip he had planned.

Attachments

• 267595_257509717599554_4286245_n.jpg
    267595_257509717599554_4286245_n.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 57
My 05 gs is waiting for a driveshaft right now.Same as what Paul said.Pulled up to a stop sign and felt a shudder as i stopped,started checking things,which led to u-joint then rear brake pads,then discovered cracks in the rear flange and my disc is .025 under min thickness.Glad i found these things in the garage and not at speed on the road.Ed

Back