• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is Mexico Safe for Riders?

Another kid who thinks tee vee is reality.
How many of those were American tourists, did they tell you that? Did you ask?
Nobody gets killed in northern New Jersey?
Come on, even if you are from Joisey you should be able to come up with better fantasies than that.
dc

For anyone who wants to know the truth about Mexico, here is a ride report, made by people who actually have gone to Mexico.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
There are actually people who, rather than sit around and watch tv to get an education, go places.
In fact there were 15,000,000 that went to Mexico last year.
Is there anyone here who can name one that came back dead? Neither can I.
The murder rate amongst those 15,000,000 American tourists in Mexico last year was 1/8 of what the murder rate is here in the good ole USA.
Can you get killed anywhere? Yes. Is there gang activity everywhere? Yes.
Has anyone ever heard of Oakland, California?
Does the news media exaggerate things?
dc

If you want to look at statistics, here's some.
First, 409 murders in New Jersey.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...h_in_2013_after_surges_in_newark_trenton.html
Number of American tourists in Mexico last year. Approximately 15,000,000.
The supposed numbers vary from 6,000,000 to 20,000,000.
Fox News Latino reports maybe 100 murders of Americans in Mexico in 2013.
I'm not going to New Jersey.
In fact, to anyone in New Jersey, I would recommend going to Mexico, or hiding under the bed. I think you are in danger.
Also, don't go near a motorcycle. Those things are too dangerous. I know. I saw it on tv.

Further, the number of total deaths you think you saw on tv is greatly exaggerated, maybe 5 times more than the other sources report.
And, of those Americans murdered in Mexico, how many were involved in the drug trade, in any way?
dc

Not to attack NJ but it's not the most comfy place for me & I have honestly- "been around the block". Only place in USA where I've seen gas station attendants with "the belt" locked around their waist. I know it gets tamer in other areas but still far from what I'm used to in the land of unlocked houses here in E. KY! Not many bars on doors & windows here either... In contrast to NJ, in Mexico the gas guys/gals carry a large wad of cash all day long & all is well. In over 20,000 miles of riding MX I just don't find it to be the horrible thing that's advertised. Is there an horrible problem there with cartel violence? YES! Does it affect tourists? NO! Well, almost never...
This is headed nowhere, I'm officially out of the thread comment wise. :wave

Not to attack NJ but it's not the most comfy place for me & I have honestly- "been around the block". Only place in USA where I've seen gas station attendants with "the belt" locked around their waist. I know it gets tamer in other areas but still far from what I'm used to in the land of unlocked houses here in E. KY! Not many bars on doors & windows here either... In contrast to NJ, in Mexico the gas guys/gals carry a large wad of cash all day long & all is well. In over 20,000 miles of riding MX I just don't find it to be the horrible thing that's advertised. Is there an horrible problem there with cartel violence? YES! Does it affect tourists? NO! Well, almost never...
This is headed nowhere, I'm officially out of the thread comment wise. :wave

+1, Gunny; I was stationed at Fort Dix while serving in US Army, per capita Trenton is much more dangerous than Ciudad Juarez! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Another kid who thinks tee vee is reality.
How many of those were American tourists, did they tell you that? Did you ask?
Nobody gets killed in northern New Jersey?
Come on, even if you are from Joisey you should be able to come up with better fantasies than that.
dc

You're another guy who thinks TV is reality.
I'm from Joisey, am Italian, and believe it or not, I'm not in the mafia.

Sure, there are murders in New Jersey, most victims lived with their murderer or were in a gang or did drug business with them.
Not too many, none that I can recall are visitors who go missing or get murdered. I never knew a motorcyclist that was passing thru who was lost forever or murdered.

A co worker was a serious crime victim in Mexico.
My wife was a crime victim in Mexico and we were only there for a one day stopover from a cruise.

Beemerdons,
Trenton is no garden spot, but you got it wrong...no surprise....

Ciudad Juarez is one of the fastest growing cities in the world despite being called "the most violent zone in the world outside of declared war zones" in 2009.

As of August 2009, Juarez's murder rate was the highest reported in the world, exceeding the holders of the second and third highest rates by more than 25%.

You're another guy who thinks TV is reality.
I'm from Joisey, am Italian, and believe it or not, I'm not in the mafia.

Sure, there are murders in New Jersey, most victims lived with their murderer or were in a gang or did drug business with them.
Not too many, none that I can recall are visitors who go missing or get murdered. I never knew a motorcyclist that was passing thru who was lost forever or murdered.

A co worker was a serious crime victim in Mexico.
My wife was a crime victim in Mexico and we were only there for a one day stopover from a cruise.

And you, your wife, and nobody you know was ever a crime victim right here in the USA? Yeah, sure.
dc

Beemerdons,
Trenton is no garden spot, but you got it wrong...no surprise....

Ciudad Juarez is one of the fastest growing cities in the world despite being called "the most violent zone in the world outside of declared war zones" in 2009.

As of August 2009, Juarez's murder rate was the highest reported in the world, exceeding the holders of the second and third highest rates by more than 25%.

Actually, Detroit, Michigan, garden spot of the midwest tied Ciudad Juarez in murder rate, and New Orleans, Louisiana out did Ciudad Juarez.
Yes, the Big Easy. Easy to get murdered.
But I should be real scared of Mexico.
Take a look at South Africa, and Caracas, Venezuela.
dc

And you, your wife, and nobody you know was ever a crime victim right here in the USA? Yeah, sure.
dc

So, to bolster your own faulty beliefs, you're calling me a liar? I can post more details, it would take 6 or 7 paragraphs, and you'd probably still say it was B.S.
No, she was never a crime victim in the USA.

Actually, Detroit, Michigan, garden spot of the midwest tied Ciudad Juarez in murder rate, and New Orleans, Louisiana out did Ciudad Juarez.
Yes, the Big Easy. Easy to get murdered.
But I should be real scared of Mexico.
Take a look at South Africa, and Caracas, Venezuela.
dc

( I dont see where you got that info from but lets say its true)..
So just because they tied that makes Mexico safe? I dont see the logic. So, do you want to tour Detroit on your motorcycle?

But that's exactly my point about all the stuff you posted about Mexico?
So what? Nobody said you had to go to Mexico. Nobody asked you to go to Mexico. So why spout off all the hot air like rain on someone else's parade?
You know, there were some who posted here that if a member didn't have anything nice to say, good manners said ... say nothing.
I don't know if you heard anything like that ever before.
Who cares what you think about Mexico? Certainly not I, so why bother. Certainly not the people who go and enjoy it.
I wouldn't ride Detroit, New Orleans, or any more of Oakland than just to get thru'.
But more importantly, why do you bother with this word safe? Don't you know there is no such thing?
It mostly is a means for the government, and other self righteous people to take freedom and rights away from the citizens.
So they will be "safe". So they will be "safe from themselves". So 'the children' will be "safe".
There is no such thing. It's an illusion. Even if you hide under your bed in Jersey, you ain't safe. Something or someone can still get you.
So why do you waste your time criticizing other peoples lives? You shouldn't, you know.
dc

"So, do you want to tour Detroit on your motorcycle?"

I did that once about three years ago,by virtue of taking the wrong exit off I-96 :dunno...I do not want to do that gain....:whistle

Did the same thing going through D.C. !
My wife had a job that took her to DC for a business meeting every other year-I took vacation time & spent much walking/subway time there. Certain parts are not to my liking-as in dangerously so- & I'm a very "situationally aware" person. Guarding property & people is THE main occupation in DC. Much of the town is quite safe. Never have I seen more homeless people than in DC!
I bought my first BMW MC in Detroit in 2001. The guy was an investment broker-owned the company- and had a young growing family & lived in what had once been an upper middle class neighborhood (but had evolved into a much lower priced version of itself) yet still clean & well kept neighborhood of immigrants, all Muslim. My seller said it served his purpose as safe,clean & only downside was the neighbors kept to themselves so not much interaction. His biggest gain was he had a very nice house for very little money. It didn't look like the Detroit we see on TV.
Truth be known, there are many, many dangerous places here in USA. Mexico has some too. A logical person tends to avoid those spots, end of story.:doh

Truth be known, there are many, many dangerous places here in USA. Mexico has some too. A logical person tends to avoid those spots, end of story.:doh

Well said:thumb

While employed with two different electric utilities over 30 years, I got to see the good and bad of many cities we either served or visited for storm restoration efforts. Some areas I would avoid in daytime in my personal vehicles, however, was there in darkness on many occasions to restore service. Have some great stories and a few scarey ones of interacting with people of all economic levels.

Situational awareness is the key to not becoming a victim. Don't put yourself in bad situations if possible...not hard to pull off.

"Truth be known, there are many, many dangerous places here in USA. Mexico has some too. A logical person tends to avoid those spots, end of story."

Indeed !....Cairo,Ill is another i avoid..... learned by experience.

Not to point fingers @ folks there but- it sticks in my mind that Cairo was my 1st experience(~1968) with walking up to a motel & seeing the bullet proof glass enclosure around the check-in. I just moved on for better surroundings...

Back