• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS intermittent problem

H

hlgilbert

Usually, when I crank the bike and do the roll off test, all is good. Front and rear ABS works fine, like having power brakes. Then I ride for maybe 30 minutes and the left red light will come on and soon the right light starts the fast flashing. Then the ABS to my rear brakes quits working. Often, but not always, the front ABS will quit working also. When the problem first started, I could pull over, turn it off, wait maybe a minute and it would be okay when I cranked it back up. For about 15 minutes, then quit working again. Now, if it sits an hour or two it will still not clear, but if it sits overnight it will usually be okay the next morning. On occasion, when first cranked, I will test front and rear brakes and if I press the rear pedal hard and fast it will quit working.

I suspect it is a sensor somewhere, since the ABS seems to be working okay, when its working. I replaced the brake lines at the dealer's suggestion with stainless steel lines. The dealer said that for some strange reason, the factory replacement lines were a mm or two too short. I keep a battery minder on it at all times.

Another problem which I assume is unrelated, but just to say, my clutch has started slipping when it gets hot, after riding an hour or so. I have wondered if it could be the rear main seal, but why does it work fine when cold? And when it does start to slip, it deteriorates quickly. I worry I might not get home at times. The next morning it works fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Linwood Gilbert

Not sure about your specific bike

Every time someone in my group complains about ABS, I sort of automatically change the brake light bulb, works about half the time and the bulbs cost me a few bucks and my daughter has little hands..................

You can try this link, it's pretty straightforward and well written: http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Maybe if you get a code, try clearing it and see if it returns. The ABS brain isn't very sophisticated, maybe that's why we get along so well, it rarely gets offended when I swear at it or threaten to bash it with a hammer.

Intermittent might make you crazy to find but I always find a good ride and a couple cold ones makes the crazy go away.

Every time someone in my group complains about ABS, I sort of automatically change the brake light bulb, works about half the time and the bulbs cost me a few bucks and my daughter has little hands..................

You can try this link, it's pretty straightforward and well written: http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Maybe if you get a code, try clearing it and see if it returns. The ABS brain isn't very sophisticated, maybe that's why we get along so well, it rarely gets offended when I swear at it or threaten to bash it with a hammer.

Intermittent might make you crazy to find but I always find a good ride and a couple cold ones makes the crazy go away.

OK, thanks! I'll switch out the bulb.

Back