• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vapor speedo

Atomic City Boxer
Greetings All,

After years of inaccurate speed readings and now my tach is on the lam, I am looking at mounting a Vapor Trail Tech unit. From what I can tell, it is pretty straight forward, but my question is: Is it possible to wire the stock 'idiot lights' into the Vapor indicator accessory lights? Wandering about the power needs etc of the modern unit (since the stock bulbs are such a low draw)

Thanks!

PS If you have a Vapor on your Airhead, how do you like it?

Steve

Vapor Spedometer

Greetings All,

After years of inaccurate speed readings and now my tach is on the lam, I am looking at mounting a Vapor Trail Tech unit. From what I can tell, it is pretty straight forward, but my question is: Is it possible to wire the stock 'idiot lights' into the Vapor indicator accessory lights? Wandering about the power needs etc of the modern unit (since the stock bulbs are such a low draw)

Thanks!

Steve

I have used a Vapor unit on my R100/2 conversion bike for 5 years and it works very well. I mounted it on a windshield bracket in easy reach of my left hand, I would not go back to the old /2 spedo, good visability in sunlight and being able to easily reset trip meter is very important as that is how I know when to refuel. Spedo can be calibrated and is accurate.

Lynn Hollis

Greetings All,

Thanks!

Steve

Which model do you have or are considering? I have been thinking of mounting one on my 2008 R1200RT so I can display miles per hour since most of my long distance riding is in the USA and am not interested in a GPS type solution.

I am actually considering the 'Vector' which has all the features of the Vapor, except the tach. I know my old sled enough to run without a tach. It tells me when it is happy....

I am actually considering the 'Vector' which has all the features of the Vapor, except the tach. I know my old sled enough to run without a tach. It tells me when it is happy....

Looks interesting. Of course I don't need a tach because the bike already has one. Also has a trip meter that will work for long Iron Butt rides since my RT's trip counter only goes to 999 Km. it would be good to have ambient temperatures in Farenheight too while in the USA.

Btw, it looks like they are replacing the 'Vector' with the 'Striker' with similar options. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Back