• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

' 08 K1200GT Hunting @ Idle When Hot

wbbaz43

I have an '08 GT that runs like a monster, but will constantly hunt at Idle to the point that it will die. After 3 BMW "Authorized " dealers diagnosed it improperly$$$$ I gained some valuable info at the Ralley in Oregon. The conclusion is that the culprit is the air box; apparently BMW offers an upgrade for certain model VINs at a cost of around $400. plus 2 hours labor. Anyone else with an issue like this?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

BB:bow

Very common on this bike. I have an '06, and the air box and stepper motor were replaced in '08, and have warped again. I tried adding the "Booster Plug", to no avail, though some guys have had good results with it. I bought a used air box on Ebay off a wrecked '08, but apparently it, too, was warped, since it made no change. When I pulled the "first replacement" air box out, I put a straight edge against it and could not find any warpage, but that was the diagnosis I was given by a reputable BMW dealer. The Booster Plug helped a buddy of mine's '08, at $149 you might want to give that a try first, though you have to pull the tank to get at the wire connections to install it. If it doesn't help, they will refund your $ once you return it (have to pull the tank again).

The K1200GT could have been a great Sport Tourer, but BMW's inability to fix this issue has made it a pain in the rear to ride slow or through town. I had some of the same issues with my K1200S, and made sure that when I bought the GT the air box had been updated, but 6 months later I was back to the same issues. I like the ergos, the styling, the power, and the people I meet. I will not buy another K-bike...........

Good luck.

K1200R - same problem

My '06 K1200R has the same/similar issue. When it gets warm - and I mean full running temperature after a half hour riding minimum, it will sometimes quit on me at a stop light. When I first pull in the clutch, the revs drop way low - like to 500 - and then it struggles back up through the revs to a normal 1000 rpm idle after a couple seconds (or dies). It's almost as if it leans out so much it just dies if the computer isnt quick enough to richen up the mixture and get it back to a normal idle. Maybe one ride a year it will try this stuff on me.

An what exactly is this "booster plug?" Is it a replacement for an O2 sensor? Or is it something that bumps the fueling into "safe mode?"

My '06 K1200R has the same/similar issue. When it gets warm - and I mean full running temperature after a half hour riding minimum, it will sometimes quit on me at a stop light. When I first pull in the clutch, the revs drop way low - like to 500 - and then it struggles back up through the revs to a normal 1000 rpm idle after a couple seconds (or dies). It's almost as if it leans out so much it just dies if the computer isnt quick enough to richen up the mixture and get it back to a normal idle. Maybe one ride a year it will try this stuff on me.

An what exactly is this "booster plug?" Is it a replacement for an O2 sensor? Or is it something that bumps the fueling into "safe mode?"

I guess I should have said "replacement for a MAF sensor..."

"Booster Plug" is an after market gizmo that basically fools the computer, making it think it is colder than it is, and richens the mixture, or at least that is my understanding. They are available for a number of bikes, on Ebay or direct from Booster Plug. They have advertised on this web site if memory serves.

The new style air box was put into use second week in October 2008. Your bike may have missed it. There was also some software changes at the same time that helped. I had to do the same thing.
A friend with a K1300S 09 second hand low miles had stalling and other issues. No help from the dealer. A ace certified BMW tech from the area said he put a booster plug on his and it runs well, my friend tried it and all issues better. There is a competing unit called the "accelerator" from Belgium half the price. I bought one of these for my k bike to deal with small throttle input delays and the occasional stall, all better. No significant fuel consumption. On the GS-911 it shows the air box temp 30*F cooler than ambient. (sorry for the thread hyjack, but related to comments)

Got a link for that part? How much was it? My bike also has K&N air filters and Remus muffler which probably makes a difference. Anybody else with that combination of parts?

tsp
My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

The new style air box was put into use second week in October 2008. Your bike may have missed it. There was also some software changes at the same time that helped. I had to do the same thing.
A friend with a K1300S 09 second hand low miles had stalling and other issues. No help from the dealer. A ace certified BMW tech from the area said he put a booster plug on his and it runs well, my friend tried it and all issues better. There is a competing unit called the "accelerator" from Belgium half the price. I bought one of these for my k bike to deal with small throttle input delays and the occasional stall, all better. No significant fuel consumption. On the GS-911 it shows the air box temp 30*F cooler than ambient. (sorry for the thread hyjack, but related to comments)

MAX's fiche here...scroll down to Fuel Prep -13

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51588&rnd=04302013

the air box is called a intake mufler $330ish

the air box valve assy is in the adjacent fiche- $141ish That valve is a bigger size now and will not transfer between the two airboxes. I cannot locate the pics I have.

You'll need some new clamps (4) to remount the airbox to the throttle bodies...seems like they sent me screw clamps instead of clamp ons...really tight quarters!

The K12GT I did this on had Wunderlich filters and an aftermarket pipe as well

Last edited:
Loose the K&N filters, use the conical stock K13 paper filters that also fit in the K12 slots. An interested home mechanic can install the new air box but it is not easy, just very pesky. Well worth doing, solves major problems. But some will be solved loosing the K&N. After all that see how it runs. Also there is some dealer software changes that were done with the new air box, you can ask the dealer.

Mine has been acting up as of the last few days. Not sure if we are experiencing the same problems or not. Pretty much stock (to my knowledge) '08 K1200GT with around 35k on the clock. Two Brothers V.A.L.E. slip on pipe. I recorded a video of what it does but its been doing it off and on and if I just ride through it it goes away. In the video I don't hit the kill switch ever, its the bike dying. Disregard the noisy clutch as well (I've heard that's a common problem?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phq7K4nOI6w

Back