• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tobermory

BlackdogGS

I'm planning (actually leaving tomorrow) for a 6,000 mile trip. I'm riding from my home in Zillah WA to Detroit MI. For the return ride I'm thinking of going to Tobermory than crossing the ferry to Manitoulin island. From there ill go to Thunder Bay. Do any of you have experience with this route? Any hazards, must see locations? Tell me everything. Thanks

ef7d0d21b907bb051365aa58a08332c8_zps0c5be34c.jpg

We circled Lake Superior July 12th and included the Tobermory ferry https://ontarioferries.com/ontarioferries/english/index.asp
Although you could probably get on the ferry without a reservation it is a good idea to book ahead.

I've included some info from our trip - some narrative from earlier notes. All overnight stays were stay again locations.

Sunset Cottages
7 Red Mill Road
Little Current ON ... Beautiful marina boardwalk, restaurants
www.sunsetmotelcottages.com
Our host is Paulette. She says it is less than an hour from the ferry landing and she says there is a new restaurant to try.
I've eaten at the Anchor. She says the new one is across the street.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Current_Swing_Bridge
Bridge to leave Manitoulin Island just NE of Little Current
Bridge opens for boats on the hour.
Island facts -- 13,090 pop (2006)
Manitoulin means - place of the great spirit.
World's largest freshwater lake island.
Ethnic Make Up of Island
61.1%. White
38.9% Aboriginal
Country Music Artist -- Crystal Shawanda from the island.
The reason it was tough to find a motel -- July 12-14 is Bridge Fest Weekend. That bridge is celebrating its 100th birthday. July 12 in evening is Classic Car Parade (6:30) -- ends at a Cruise In location. Parks by water have various events.

Parkway Motel
232 Hwy 17
Wawa, Ontario
http://www.parkwaymotel.com
Our host - Anna - is incredibly friendly and says she likes to take photos of motorcycle groups with their bikes.

SUPER 8 Motel
439 Memorial Ave
Thunder Bay

I'll try to add some highlights later today. Let me know if you need any specific info.

Biggest problem with the Tobermory loop is having to leave.

Great roads.

Wander around on the Bruce peninsula before going North.

Eat lunch at the hotel in Goderich. Order a pint of 10w-30.

Stay too long you can walk down the street for a Lake Huron sunset.

If you stay in Goderich you can get your haircut at 6:30 AM by the hotel barber.

Gas up before leaving Tobermory.

We usually stay and eat here. http://www.grandview-tobermory.com/

Downtown Tobermory is totally walkable from where ever you stay.

The ferry has ropes. Everyone used these before they invented straps.

Area north of the ferry is a lot less populated than south.

May want to brush up on your hockey talk.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71449 Life

I haven't been on the forums for awhile, how did the trip go?

I ended up taking a more Southern route through Illinois. I had originally considered Tobermory because it looked remote. While I was on the ferry crossing Lake Michigan (on the way to Detroit) I was stuck with a bunch of drunk Harley riders, they said Tobermory was a popular destination for bikers with lots of bars and golf courses. I was starting to lose interest than when they mentioned that beer was $17.00 for a 6 pack I bagged the idea. I'm not sure if its true or not but these guys said that Americans are referred to as "Fudgies", not sure what that's about. Anyway the trip was great, I avoided all tow roads and highways (for the most part). I'll send a link to the ride report.

One of the main tourist products on Mackinac Island (just across the lake from Tobermory) is fudge. Many, many kinds of fudge. A fudgie is a tourist who visits Mackinac. BTW, upper peninsula Michiganders refer to lower peninsula Michiganders as trolls.... because they live beneath the bridge.

The Harley guys were not being truthful. You missed a beautiful ride (not challenging, but beautiful) to Thunder Bay along the north shore of Lake Superior. Do consider it in the future. And yes, bring your own tie downs for the Chi-Cheemaun crossing.

The Harley guys were not being truthful. You missed a beautiful ride (not challenging, but beautiful) to Thunder Bay along the north shore of Lake Superior. Do consider it in the future. And yes, bring your own tie downs for the Chi-Cheemaun crossing.

Absolutely, it's a terrific ride, the roads and scenery are great....................Rod.

Well here I am chiming in a month late again. Yeah the Harley guys, I think the term is "bullocks"? Full of BS at any rate, it's a good place to travel on cycle, I'd like to go againand spend a few days on Manitoulin Island.
man I've been on that ferry, probably 3 or more times over the years and I thought they had ropes to tie the bike down. Either that or I just had to let it go without tiedowns, never had very rough water on the crossing so never remember being concerned about it. They let the bike riders go below when docking so they can get you unloaded right away.

Well here I am chiming in a month late again. Yeah the Harley guys, I think the term is "bullocks"? Full of BS at any rate, it's a good place to travel on cycle, I'd like to go againand spend a few days on Manitoulin Island.
man I've been on that ferry, probably 3 or more times over the years and I thought they had ropes to tie the bike down. Either that or I just had to let it go without tiedowns, never had very rough water on the crossing so never remember being concerned about it. They let the bike riders go below when docking so they can get you unloaded right away.

Yes, they do have ropes, but if like me you never passed your Knot Badge in Scouts, bringing your own tie downs is far more secure. Once while crossing (by car), about six plate numbers were called to meet below. They came back laughing. Apparently one bike began the domino effect. They obviously had a better sense of humour than I would have in their situation. :dunno

I guess my only knot training was working the ramp at an airport, I just used the same kind of knot I used there (for tieing down aircraft), maybe called a slip knot? Whatever it is, it seemed to work fine, but every time it was a smooth trip, only hair-raising is during the actual docking, and by then we were with the bikes.

Ferry to tobermory. GREAT

Hi,
I reside in the Manitoulin isl. area. I take this ferry every year while riding my GS . I bring my own tie downs but they do supply the ropes. You missed out on some nice riding....check out ride Manitoulin. They host a rally and also has an ADV ride for those interested. I am not a rally kind of guy but I enjoy the ADV ride and just touring all the nice places to see while on the island. When off the island, check out the DEER TRAIL especially in the fall. From there, goin north to thunder bay, lake superior offers nice scenery. Do not forget to stop in Rossport.
Happy trails ...rob.

Back