• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Going to Canada questions

jnrugg

I am planning on the Return to Trenton rally later this month.
First time riding up there.
I have passport, Canadian insurance card and up to date registration.
Anything else I need or need to know? :scratch

Avoid highway 401 through Toronto. Maybe come in from east across the St. Lawrence river and then follow 401 to Trenton.

Avoid highway 401 through Toronto. Maybe come in from east across the St. Lawrence river and then follow 401 to Trenton.

I will be coming from the east via NY state. I haven't planned the route to the border yet but it seems there aren't that many roads once in Canada.
No jokes at the border station either.

Canada

Go into Canada thru one of up state NY entry points to avoid Toronto. If you use your CC there will be a bank small international fee on each transaction so best to carry Canadian money if you want to avoid fee.
Money exchanges are usually around border entry's or any bank.
Nice rally, camp down by the water.

Anything else I need or need to know? :scratch

That Poutine is not what Ted Nugent was singing about, that your pants will get very heavy with loonies and twonies, that booze will cost you a lot, that when some one says ehh, and you start singing BCDEFG...HIJ..... they might take offense, that 'pardon" is a much politer inquiry then "what".

OK the only real advice is don't get in the line with the french speaking border guard (look for the blue sign), they seem to all have a chip on their shoulder and give you a hard time.

A good place to exchange US to Canadian is Tim Horton's, good coffee too. For larger amounts I usually use an ATM, from my own bank (Citi) for lowest fees.

If you have room and like a drink now and then, grab some duty free on the way up and carry it with you. Then do the same in the way back. Enjoy your trip.

You may find that the gasoline station pumps will not accept American credit cards. You will have to go inside to pay. I've seen notices on pumps about this.

Leave any radar detectors home, If they find it they confiscate it and there is a heavy fine as well.
Even disconnected ones can be confiscated.

You may find that the gasoline station pumps will not accept American credit cards. You will have to go inside to pay. I've seen notices on pumps about this.

If you use a fairly small local bank to do your banking, then you may have a problem using your debit card at the counter, pump or ATM. Some small banks are not part of the system that allows their cards to work in Canada. Two years ago I loaded our motorcycle travel account with all the money we thought we would need in Canada. Big surprise when it did not work. Had to run into Skagway to get access to our funds.

And be very wary of using the cellular data on your phone. Cost me $200 for one day. Either turn it off and rely on WiFi (Tim Hortens) or arrange for an international plan with your carrier before you leave the USA.

In over 20 border crossings in the past 15 months all agents have been polite, not one item has ever been checked and the only document ever looked at was our passports. No one ever inquired about insurance or registration. Long guns/shotguns are allowed. You'll pay a fee. Absolutely no handguns.

Just returned from 8 days in Canada entered at Niagara Falls and drove up to the Gaspe in Quebec, could not use ATMs but i did call my Credit Card Co prior to leaving and had no problems using the CC. Do Not Go over the Rainbow Bridge crossing into Canada waited in the Queue for 2 1/2 hours to cross the boarder

Just returned from 8 days in Canada entered at Niagara Falls and drove up to the Gaspe in Quebec, could not use ATMs

Why? I've never had trouble with ATM's in Quebec other than finding one that took Visa. As to carrying Canadian cash, green money works almost everywhere in QC, NB, ONT, and NS, I've only been turned down once in 6 or 7 years. I carry some Canadian cash anyway, and both MC and Visa.

Your bank likely has a deal with (or owns) a Canadian bank. BoA has a much reduced exchange rate when you use a Scotia Bank fer instance.

What someone else said about US cards not being taken at the pump was true for me around Moncton. I've also had my US cards shut off after crossing the border. A cell phone call was necessary to turn it back on. The next trip, I called the bank first.

Last thing is that hotels, motels, and gas stations can and do put huge holds on your gas and other purchases and may not release them for up to a week. They were better about this the last two years, but I've been really squeezed on many other trips. The bank blames the merchant, the merchant blames the bank -- you know how that goes.

"Quote"
"Your bank likely has a deal with (or owns) a Canadian bank."

For the record.... No Canadian Banks are owned by any American Banks!

"Quote"
"Your bank likely has a deal with (or owns) a Canadian bank."

For the record.... No Canadian Banks are owned by any American Banks!

Why do people call the US America? America has a north and a south and a whole buncha countries. (sorry. pet peeve)

9458613844_7e1ea6e56a.jpg

Back