• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Simple Injector Signal Tester

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I made this very simple tester so that I could determine if my condenser fan and oil cooler fan was in either low or high speed mode in my car while I was driving. Actually, it can be used for just about any test.

Having just read this month's Bench Wrenching article "Troubleshooting - The Art of Critical Thinking, Paul wasn't easily able to check if there was a signal going to the injectors.

Well I just happened to check the injectors on a local's Porsche 911 the other week. The owner installed an Electromotive TecGT engine control system and it wasn't running right; injector #5 wasn't getting a signal at all and injector #3 was intermittent. The problem...the AMPSEAL connector...brand new and faulty right off the bat. The LED's flashed nicely on all other cylinders. And this simple tester avoided having to drag my oscilloscope over to his place.

Anyway, this or better yet, a version of it, can be stashed away in your took kit. A simple LED, resistor, some short leads and two pins can be put into a 1"x 2" zip lock bag. The pins are used to slide down the injector connector to make contact with them. My unit has banana jack receptacles so that I can use my test leads with it.

A bright LED should be chosen along with an appropriate series resistor.

LED%20Test%20Module%20-%201-L.jpg

Radio Shack and other electrical supply places sell 12v LEDs with proper resistance built in. I used them for a tester I made to test Hall Effect Sensors (HES). Voni carries a 12v LED tester in her tool kit now.

But the episode described in that Benchwrenching column happened at a time, and at a location that I had neither of these devices at my immediate disposal.

Last edited:
Radio Shack and other electrical supply places sell 12v LEDs with proper resistance built in.

Even easier! I made mine from stock I had in my shop. I'll get one of those ready-made LEDs for the one I'll keep in my toolkit.

But the episode described in that Benchwrenching column happened at a time, and at a location that I had neither of these devices at my immediate disposal.

Well that'll learn ya. I'll be putting one in my toolkit.

Back