• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stuck in Alaska

convertedrider

The last 40 miles of my trip from Seward to Anchorage was with my 2012 K1600GTL on the back of a flatbed truck. The bike has about 8,600 total miles with about 5,600 on the current trip from Ohio. At a stop yesterday the bike would not shut off properly. The engine would quit running but there was a loud rapid clicking from the engine. When I turned the key on the engine started with no further action on my part. After several attempts to shut off the bike with the same results I decided to keep riding toward Anchorage. I stopped for fuel about 40 miles south of Anchorage. The bike shut off properly. After gassing up the bike would not start, the battery was drained. Roadside assistance picked up the bike and took it to the BMW dealer in Anchorage. Since the dealer was closed yesterday they started woking on it today, So far they've found that the starter relay was burnt out but can't tell anything further till they receive a relay about noon tomorrow. This is my first time owning a BMW after riding Gold Wings for years. The ride up until yesterday has been great. I've read some horror stories about dealing with BMW on the forum today and hope I don't have one to add.

The Motorcycle Shop should deal with you fairly. Just remember it takes longer to get parts and that they probably have other desperate travelers needing service. Talk to Brendon

Isn't the engine continuing to run an indication of self-igniting fuel? The "rapid clicking" is "pinging"? I would then guess low grade fuel. But why the burned out starter relay?

Just a SWAG, but maybe the starter switch has failed ? Seems to be a problem with the new switches for some reason.

The starter motor continued to run with the stuck relay. It will be damaged from the heat. It may still work, but the life is diminished, maybe by a lot. There is also a possibility the starter clutch is overheated and damaged. This design is similar to the bricks, so if sticking relay kills their starter clutch, then I would expect the same for this one. That requires splitting the cases. After they fix it, if even once the starter acts up, insist that they disassemble and check the starter motor. You should also insist on a new battery, the old one is toast and is probably the reason the relay stuck.

Rod

I agree with the low battery which led to the stuck relay that left the starter engaged. Riding gave enough current to let the relay disengage the starter. But there was no juice to restart the bike. I would look for current draw somewhere, and see if it is charging. If that is a harness issue I would be keeping track of the three faults and you are out lemon law. Get another bike. Sorry to hear that happened in Alaska with a new bike geez

The last 40 miles of my trip from Seward to Anchorage was with my 2012 K1600GTL on the back of a flatbed truck. The bike has about 8,600 total miles with about 5,600 on the current trip from Ohio. At a stop yesterday the bike would not shut off properly. The engine would quit running but there was a loud rapid clicking from the engine. When I turned the key on the engine started with no further action on my part. After several attempts to shut off the bike with the same results I decided to keep riding toward Anchorage. I stopped for fuel about 40 miles south of Anchorage. The bike shut off properly. After gassing up the bike would not start, the battery was drained. Roadside assistance picked up the bike and took it to the BMW dealer in Anchorage. Since the dealer was closed yesterday they started woking on it today, So far they've found that the starter relay was burnt out but can't tell anything further till they receive a relay about noon tomorrow. This is my first time owning a BMW after riding Gold Wings for years. The ride up until yesterday has been great. I've read some horror stories about dealing with BMW on the forum today and hope I don't have one to add.

So Convertedrider, what happened with your situation you wrote about? Did it get repaired and if so, what got fixed?

Rick

Back