• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100S Headlight Bulbs

3rd world country? Oh that's gonna leave a mark! :laugh

Seriously though, he's right. Most after market bulbs are cheaply made and do not last. Key word there is cheap for sure.

mmmm... sounds like unfair characterizations of several organizations...

Sylvania's actual name is OSRAM/Sylvania, a wholly owned subsidary of OSRAM - a german company.
Nevertheless the OSRAM branded "Silverstar" has the same specs as the Sylvania "Silverstar Ultra".
50% brighter (careful - compared to a worn standard bulb) - etc.
I can't find documentation thus far to confirm or deny they are actually different.
I too have always heard Philips and OSRAM were high quality.

In the Sylvania brand there are 7 variations on "headlight bulb" and three of them wear a Silverstar moniker.
Oh yeah a couple of them have blue tinted glass - don't know if it is for style or to filter some UV out?

This is bewildering to me - you'd think that OSRAM would give their high-end headlight bulb a different name, even if the two products were identical, to further distinquish it from the brand label they sell in Wahmarx. I'm assuming that its because the Silverstar name is "catchy".

Oh well.

Is it just me or is this turning into a reasonable facsimile of an oil thread? :laugh

I stand by Post #3. I guess I'm just lucky. :D

Is it just me or is this turning into a reasonable facsimile of an oil thread? :laugh

I stand by Post #3. I guess I'm just lucky. :D

Yup, very similar to an oil thread!

But...if you were truly lucky, you would be riding a School Bus Yellow/Pencil Lead Gray S bike instead of that Pathetic Blue thingy! :laugh

:drink

Osram and Sylvania Silverstars are indeed different. Given the latter's blue coating, it is driven harder to achieve adequate light and consequently has shorter life. Blu coating is just kid stuff, best used on a Neon.

Geez, what an oppionated group, but that's why I asked.
Friday I ordered the Osram bulbs from Wunderlich along with the Micro-Flooter for the R1100S.
Guess I should have responded earlier but I was busy RIDING!
Oh, BTW, this is my 4th BMW which sits along side my '82 RS.

There are Sylvania Silverstars--which are PepBoys junk--and Osram Silverstars and they're not the same thing. The latter aren't blue for one thing and their life is normal.

They're a good choice, as are Phillips products. PIAA anything are not, as they are all hype.

HID are illegal and unsuitable with optics designed for halogen bulbs, projector or not. They are totally unsuitable as replacements for high beams, as they don't come to brightness soon enough to be used as flashers. Light units actually designed for HID still use halogen bulbs for flashers.

The (fairly) new "+" halogens are new technology compared to original halogens and are the best you can do with that technology and optics designed for it. Like anything for credible German vehicles, they're not sold at PepBoys and just as you've expanded your horizons owning a BMW, you need to expand your parts sourcing as well. The thing to know is that in things automotive the USA is a 3rd world country and PepBoys, NAPA, etc., are dime stores selling ticky tacky.

Many "upgrades" we do to our bikes are illegal.

They do make an HID that can work as a high beam and flash, they are Bi-Xenon units.

I replaced the projector in my Ducati with one of these.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3181

I was very happy with the performance of the unit.
But it's also not an HID bulb in a Halogen fixture.

I may keep looking for space for relays and balasts to fit one of these to my S as well

The optics on the R11S are perfectly suited for HID lighting.
To the best of my knowledge, bi-xenons are not a viable option on the 11S.

They are viable on almost anything with a little work.

Since the 11S already has a projector beam, it is relatively easy to replace.

I just had to make an adapter plate for the Duck when I did it.

I am hoping they are for the RT as well. I just picked up a set and hope to install them when I come up for air. The ones I got only come in pairs so I have spare parts as a bonus. :thumb

Seriously, if you want BRIGHT light, that is incredibly reliable, go with a quality HID unit and just forget about any lighting hassles at all. I went with Polarion units from XenonDepot about 9 years ago. In ~90,000 miles I have replaced not one item in the system, and have an incredible amount of light output (approx. 200 Wts per bulb, drawing only 35 wts current).
The R11S lens is ideally suited for HID bulbs (not all are), and seems to actually be designed to run HIDs.
I think they're running about $280 for a set of hi & lo right now.

Just do it, you will be ecstatically happy that you did so. Certainly one of the best items I've bought for my bike.

I bought those same lights about 9 years through a group buy on Pelican Parts,still work fine and whoever said HID hi-beams don't work can stand in front of me but wear your shades.
I got a 4300k low and a 5000k high and they are killer.

Back