• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What do you think of the new "Tourance Next"?

Rad - I now have about 6000 miles experience with this tire on a wethead.

It's a street tire, it performs well on-pavement in both dry and wet, but doesn't really do anything that any other street tire would do off-pavement.

It hasn't squared off excessively, even with a lot of highway riding. Over the past week, I've been using the sidewalls a lot and you can barely tell that the tire went nearly 3k miles on highways.

It appears that it will last about the same length of time as the old Tourance... which is an improvement over a Tourance EXP. For me, that's about 5.5k miles for a rear.

I did demolish my first rear in just under 2k miles, performance testing, ya know? :ha

The tire I am riding now started in Atlanta about 3 weeks ago, and as I sit in Montana, it's not going to make it home to Atlanta again, at least with my personal margin of safety.

It is hard to get tires in wethead sizes at this point. I am currently waiting for a new Tourance Next, there were no Michelins available. And I've been promised a set of Karoo IIIs three times now, with no joy. :( Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Ian

Thanks, Ian

I was hoping that the off road ability would at least match the original Tourance. I put a lot of miles on that original design on my 1150 GS. Off road they were ok if you dropped the pressure and picked your surfaces with an understanding of the limits of a GS with those type of tires. I had a second set of wheels with a 21" front and TKC 80's that I had a lot of fun with off road.

I suspect I would get better mileage than you are getting running the Nexts on a smaller less powerful 1200R.

Conrad

Next

7500 miles on original Tourance Next.Mostly highway,but about 1500 wet miles(Paonia-Asheville) .Tires did great on/off/wet roads. Looks like the rear will need to be replaced in 1500/2000 miles.Front good for 3-4000 more miles? I expect to replace with same.

I had 3500+ miles on my GS LC when it totaled about seven weeks ago. I used to only get 4000+ on Tourances on my previous GSs and it looked like I was going to get 5000, maybe 6000 on the Next versions.

I have a new LC now so check back with me sometime in October.

7500 miles on original Tourance Next.Mostly highway,but about 1500 wet miles(Paonia-Asheville) .Tires did great on/off/wet roads. Looks like the rear will need to be replaced in 1500/2000 miles.Front good for 3-4000 more miles? I expect to replace with same.

Twist that loud handle harder, old man! :ha

Rad - If I had the choice, I'd still pick the old Tourances. :nod

Got abt 7200 on the first rear tire, and had it replaced with another one. When the front and second rear are gone, I will consider something else depending on what becomes available.

mostly on pavement with abt 100 miles of well groomed dirt roads which it handled reasonably well.

If it is a dual sport tire, it is 10% off and 90 % on pavement, IMHO.

Handling is good.

My GSW came with continue Trail Attack tyres. Just shy of 3k and there is already a square forming and especially on the rear. This is with tyres set at factory spec and exclusively road riding with varying textures of asphalt and concrete surface.

Pretty much any tire used on road will square off unless twisties make up a large amount of your use. I use the Conti Trail Attacks on a different bike mostly for street use- the seem pretty sticky so may be a bit softer than some other tires that are 90% street oriented. I like them OK but not yet enough miles to predict a lifespan with any accuracy.

Next tires

I'm looking for a "dual sport" tire for my R and the new "Tourance Next" comes in the R sizes. The Next comes standard on the Wethead GS.]

The tire won Motorrad's enduro tire shoot out. It did appear to be mainly a road test. The tire is billed as a 90/10 street/dirt tire.

I'm looking for a "dual sport" tire for my R and the new "Tourance Next" comes in the R sizes. The Next comes standard on the Wethead GS.]

The tire won Motorrad's enduro tire shoot out. It did appear to be mainly a road test. The tire is billed as a 90/10 street/dirt tire.

Messed that up as a reply. on R2013GSW, 12,500mi on front, 2nd tire on back due to nail, 200mi on dirt and I feel really confident on these 90/10 tires.rain or dry best tires I ever had. Rode buddies R2013GSW with spoke wheels and dirt tires, came new with bike. Didn't think they were as good on street Run 43 in rear and 38 in front. No cupping or squaring.

Ok, I'm new to this discussion.............

I use to get 7K on a rear tourance on my 2005 GS.

This Tourance Next will be lucky to see 5K.

Doesn't sound like a big difference but if you're putting 15K a year on it adds up........

I'd love an old Tourance. I wonder if they will be putting it out in the Wethead size?

jason

Here's my .02, and it's worth what you paid for it :)

I'm replacing the rear Tourance Next on my '13 with another Next next week.

At that point it will have a little over 11K miles on it, and is squared enough to stand up on its own. The wear bars are just slightly below the tread surface.

I'm not hard on my bikes, nor do I ride like a geezer. I think smoothness with acceleration and braking are key to tire longevity.

Excellent street and rain tire. No real offroad excursions, so I can't speak to that, but I really think it is a street tire that will take a graded dry dirt road or gravel road on occasion.

As someone else said, I'll run the new Next until either it or the front Next need replacing, and then I'll try something else.

11K out of and OE tire is OK by me.

Here's my .02, and it's worth what you paid for it :)

I'm replacing the rear Tourance Next on my '13 with another Next next week.

At that point it will have a little over 11K miles on it, and is squared enough to stand up on its own. The wear bars are just slightly below the tread surface.

I'm not hard on my bikes, nor do I ride like a geezer. I think smoothness with acceleration and braking are key to tire longevity.

Excellent street and rain tire. No real offroad excursions, so I can't speak to that, but I really think it is a street tire that will take a graded dry dirt road or gravel road on occasion.

As someone else said, I'll run the new Next until either it or the front Next need replacing, and then I'll try something else.

11K out of and OE tire is OK by me.

You're getting more than double the mileage out of a Tourance Next than anyone I've heard from................
You must be doing something right.
What pressure's are you running?
j

You're getting more than double the mileage out of a Tourance Next than anyone I've heard from................
You must be doing something right.
What pressure's are you running?
j

I run approximately what BMW published in the manual: 36.5 Front, 42 rear. I ride solo, with the three vario cases attached.

I appreciate the Tourance Next's longevity, but it seemed to square off very early in its life, around 2000 miles, and became squarer as the miles went on.

I wonder if those who are getting 5K out of these tires are changing them before the wear bars are visible. If I were doing track days, or riding the twisties often, I would probably have changed the rear tire long ago.

I'm running Nexts on my '13 GSw and I like them. My front, with 7967 miles on it, has about 3.5+ mm of tread depth in the center. This is mostly on pavement with I'll guess maybe 100 miles on dirt or gravel roads. No real offroading, and no airing down. I run approx 39F and 42R. The rear is the second one because I got a big lag bolt in the original one, so can't say much about how that will eventually wear.

They offer good grip on wet or dry pavement; I have never felt them lacking in that regard. I have not spent a lot of time at triple digits, but they have been smooth and stable at all times.

As it stands now, I will most likely put another pair on when the time comes unless people write glowing reviews of something else.

I run approximately what BMW published in the manual: 36.5 Front, 42 rear. I ride solo, with the three vario cases attached.

I appreciate the Tourance Next's longevity, but it seemed to square off very early in its life, around 2000 miles, and became squarer as the miles went on.

I wonder if those who are getting 5K out of these tires are changing them before the wear bars are visible. If I were doing track days, or riding the twisties often, I would probably have changed the rear tire long ago.

Well after this weekend I have 4600 miles on these Tourance Next and they are DONE..............
I ride two up, not overly loaded with weight and at an Spirited Adult pace.
5000 miles is not enough mileage for a Touring / Adventure tire. I'm sorry but I'd take a set of old Tourance's in a size to fit this new bike in a heart beat!
I also have a set of rear brake pads that are past half worn already and my buddy was into the rotor's with his at 12K.
Disappointing to say the least.
Anyone else out of rear brake at low mileage.
jason

Well after this weekend I have 4600 miles on these Tourance Next and they are DONE..............
I ride two up, not overly loaded with weight and at an Spirited Adult pace.
5000 miles is not enough mileage for a Touring / Adventure tire. I'm sorry but I'd take a set of old Tourance's in a size to fit this new bike in a heart beat!
I also have a set of rear brake pads that are past half worn already and my buddy was into the rotor's with his at 12K.
Disappointing to say the least.
Anyone else out of rear brake at low mileage.
jason

Here's what mine looked like today at 11,120 miles before I had it replaced at Morton's BMW this morning:
i-2m7NJmh-M.jpg

i-TwQFnCF-M.jpg

And the rear brake pads at 11K:
i-25zrBGG-M.jpg

It's a shame that the tires last only 5K on some GSs. I'd expect that out of a sportbike tire, but not a tire on a adv/touring machine.

Back