• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do you think of the new "Tourance Next"?

Update:

I am now in the market for a new front tire. For the last 2K miles, the front Tourance Next has been cupping. Not unusual, from my experience, for a Telelever front end.

What bothered me was the cracking along the edges of the tread elements. The tire has 15K miles on it, so I'm mostly satisfied with its lifespan, although I'd hoped to get 18-20K from it. The tread depth is right at 3/32".

I don't know if I'll replace it with another Tourance, or maybe go with a Conti TrailAttack of Michelin Anakee3.

fronttire.jpg

I got this email from Revzilla yesterday.

Continental TKC 70 Tires now available at RevZilla

I think I'm going to give them a try come spring.
jason

Update:

I am now in the market for a new front tire. For the last 2K miles, the front Tourance Next has been cupping. Not unusual, from my experience, for a Telelever front end.

What bothered me was the cracking along the edges of the tread elements. The tire has 15K miles on it, so I'm mostly satisfied with its lifespan, although I'd hoped to get 18-20K from it. The tread depth is right at 3/32".

I don't know if I'll replace it with another Tourance, or maybe go with a Conti TrailAttack of Michelin Anakee3.

View attachment 46404

18-20k? Miles? That sounds like high mileage touring tire territory.

I have about 7K on my Tourance Next and love them so far on my '14 GSA

The rear seems to have about 1/2 the life left, but I know those things are hard to tell.

I have ridden in some bad rain on this set and have had no problems.

I do not off road much so I cannot comment on the off road capabilities.

I have a 2013 GSW purchased 6/2013. Running the NEXT's and currently have 10,200 mi. on both tires. Only started to flatten on the rear tire after riding seconadary roads back to home state of Georgia from Utah but still have another 750-1000 miles left. I ride primarily secondary roads but lots and lots of twists and turns through mountainous areas during the 1 1/2 years. I always have ridden one-up and with gear (side bags/camping) 50% of time. Maintain pressure at recommended 36 and 42. I will definitely replace with NEXT. Hope they work as well as this set.

Need Longer Tire Wear Advice

2014 GSA-w
24000 miles.
On 3rd rear tire.

First rear Michelin Anakee III were replaced at 10k. Replaced with Metz Nxt.
Front replaced a week or so later because of cupping. Replaced with Metz Nxt.
Second tire replaced at 20000 with Michelin Pilot Power because that's all I could find on the road.
At 24k 2nd front is looking good. I don't expect much more out of the Mich. Power Rear, which is would one would normally put on something like a S1000rr.

Overall I'm not happy with either rear's actual mileage. I ride a lot, but not that hard. I used to get up to 20k pn front and 15k on rear with regular Tourances on my 1150GS.

Love most of the rest of the new bike package, just NOT happy with rear tire wear. I'm doing a certain 11 day / 11000 mile rally in July and hate the thought of not being able to complete the rally on a set of modern tires.

I had hoped the Metzlers would have lasted longer. Normally I would rather walk than use a Michelin project, but I might have to use the Anakee's again or try some of the Pilot Road 4's.

The new Conti TKC 70's look good and would be fine for some of the off-road I do, but they won't last long enough either.

saddlesore904

Well my first set of TKC 70's arrived Friday................

Can't wait to get them mounted and give them a try.

I can't believe Metzger is going to give up all this market share.

jason

Last edited:
Well, I started this thread and then answered my own question.......I tried them, hated them on and off road and quickly went back to just my tried and true street tires I've used the last bunch of years, the PR's.

2014 gsa

I too hope Metzler does bring out the original Tourance in the new water cooled motor sizes. AnkeeIII and Metzler Nxt rears are not very impressive as to tread life. Ankee III lasted 10000k. Metz Nxt also lasted 10000. Was stuck in Dallas and needed a tire last November after the Big Texas long distance rally. All I could get on a Sunday was a Michlein Pilot Power. It has over 7000 on it and is still going sort of. I used to get 15000 on the original Tourance's on my 1150 GS. 20k on fronts.

As to more traction for on / off road, some bud's have the new Conti TKC70 and they look promising. A true radial tire unless the TKC80, Sava or other aggressive options.

Back