Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you think of the new "Tourance Next"?

I'm running Nexts on my '13 GSw and I like them. My front, with 7967 miles on it, has about 3.5+ mm of tread depth in the center. This is mostly on pavement with I'll guess maybe 100 miles on dirt or gravel roads. No real offroading, and no airing down. I run approx 39F and 42R. The rear is the second one because I got a big lag bolt in the original one, so can't say much about how that will eventually wear.

They offer good grip on wet or dry pavement; I have never felt them lacking in that regard. I have not spent a lot of time at triple digits, but they have been smooth and stable at all times.

As it stands now, I will most likely put another pair on when the time comes unless people write glowing reviews of something else.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Quote Originally Posted by OnYerBike View Post
    I run approximately what BMW published in the manual: 36.5 Front, 42 rear. I ride solo, with the three vario cases attached.

I appreciate the Tourance Next's longevity, but it seemed to square off very early in its life, around 2000 miles, and became squarer as the miles went on.

I wonder if those who are getting 5K out of these tires are changing them before the wear bars are visible. If I were doing track days, or riding the twisties often, I would probably have changed the rear tire long ago.
    Well after this weekend I have 4600 miles on these Tourance Next and they are DONE..............
    I ride two up, not overly loaded with weight and at an Spirited Adult pace.
    5000 miles is not enough mileage for a Touring / Adventure tire. I'm sorry but I'd take a set of old Tourance's in a size to fit this new bike in a heart beat!
    I also have a set of rear brake pads that are past half worn already and my buddy was into the rotor's with his at 12K.
    Disappointing to say the least.
    Anyone else out of rear brake at low mileage.
    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    Well after this weekend I have 4600 miles on these Tourance Next and they are DONE..............
    I ride two up, not overly loaded with weight and at an Spirited Adult pace.
    5000 miles is not enough mileage for a Touring / Adventure tire. I'm sorry but I'd take a set of old Tourance's in a size to fit this new bike in a heart beat!
    I also have a set of rear brake pads that are past half worn already and my buddy was into the rotor's with his at 12K.
    Disappointing to say the least.
    Anyone else out of rear brake at low mileage.
    jason

Here's what mine looked like today at 11,120 miles before I had it replaced at Morton's BMW this morning:
    i-2m7NJmh-M.jpg

i-TwQFnCF-M.jpg

And the rear brake pads at 11K:
    i-25zrBGG-M.jpg

It's a shame that the tires last only 5K on some GSs. I'd expect that out of a sportbike tire, but not a tire on a adv/touring machine.
    -Drew

11k miles would be just dandy for me!

Any new tire choices out there?

I'll soon need to put my third rear on......

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Update:

I am now in the market for a new front tire. For the last 2K miles, the front Tourance Next has been cupping. Not unusual, from my experience, for a Telelever front end.

What bothered me was the cracking along the edges of the tread elements. The tire has 15K miles on it, so I'm mostly satisfied with its lifespan, although I'd hoped to get 18-20K from it. The tread depth is right at 3/32".

I don't know if I'll replace it with another Tourance, or maybe go with a Conti TrailAttack of Michelin Anakee3.

fronttire.jpg
    -Drew

I got this email from Revzilla yesterday.

Continental TKC 70 Tires now available at RevZilla

I think I'm going to give them a try come spring.
    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Quote Originally Posted by OnYerBike View Post
    Update:

I am now in the market for a new front tire. For the last 2K miles, the front Tourance Next has been cupping. Not unusual, from my experience, for a Telelever front end.

What bothered me was the cracking along the edges of the tread elements. The tire has 15K miles on it, so I'm mostly satisfied with its lifespan, although I'd hoped to get 18-20K from it. The tread depth is right at 3/32".

I don't know if I'll replace it with another Tourance, or maybe go with a Conti TrailAttack of Michelin Anakee3.

fronttire.jpg
    18-20k? Miles? That sounds like high mileage touring tire territory.

I have about 7K on my Tourance Next and love them so far on my '14 GSA

The rear seems to have about 1/2 the life left, but I know those things are hard to tell.

I have ridden in some bad rain on this set and have had no problems.

I do not off road much so I cannot comment on the off road capabilities.

I have a 2013 GSW purchased 6/2013. Running the NEXT's and currently have 10,200 mi. on both tires. Only started to flatten on the rear tire after riding seconadary roads back to home state of Georgia from Utah but still have another 750-1000 miles left. I ride primarily secondary roads but lots and lots of twists and turns through mountainous areas during the 1 1/2 years. I always have ridden one-up and with gear (side bags/camping) 50% of time. Maintain pressure at recommended 36 and 42. I will definitely replace with NEXT. Hope they work as well as this set.
    2013 R1200GSW

Need Longer Tire Wear Advice

2014 GSA-w
    24000 miles.
    On 3rd rear tire.

First rear Michelin Anakee III were replaced at 10k. Replaced with Metz Nxt.
    Front replaced a week or so later because of cupping. Replaced with Metz Nxt.
    Second tire replaced at 20000 with Michelin Pilot Power because that's all I could find on the road.
    At 24k 2nd front is looking good. I don't expect much more out of the Mich. Power Rear, which is would one would normally put on something like a S1000rr.

Overall I'm not happy with either rear's actual mileage. I ride a lot, but not that hard. I used to get up to 20k pn front and 15k on rear with regular Tourances on my 1150GS.

Love most of the rest of the new bike package, just NOT happy with rear tire wear. I'm doing a certain 11 day / 11000 mile rally in July and hate the thought of not being able to complete the rally on a set of modern tires.

I had hoped the Metzlers would have lasted longer. Normally I would rather walk than use a Michelin project, but I might have to use the Anakee's again or try some of the Pilot Road 4's.

The new Conti TKC 70's look good and would be fine for some of the off-road I do, but they won't last long enough either.

saddlesore904

Well my first set of TKC 70's arrived Friday................

Can't wait to get them mounted and give them a try.

I can't believe Metzger is going to give up all this market share.

jason
    Last edited by gsjay; 04-19-2015 at 09:21 PM.
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Well, I started this thread and then answered my own question.......I tried them, hated them on and off road and quickly went back to just my tried and true street tires I've used the last bunch of years, the PR's.

2014 gsa

I too hope Metzler does bring out the original Tourance in the new water cooled motor sizes. AnkeeIII and Metzler Nxt rears are not very impressive as to tread life. Ankee III lasted 10000k. Metz Nxt also lasted 10000. Was stuck in Dallas and needed a tire last November after the Big Texas long distance rally. All I could get on a Sunday was a Michlein Pilot Power. It has over 7000 on it and is still going sort of. I used to get 15000 on the original Tourance's on my 1150 GS. 20k on fronts.

As to more traction for on / off road, some bud's have the new Conti TKC70 and they look promising. A true radial tire unless the TKC80, Sava or other aggressive options.