• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 GS transmission lubrication

Ntlost

Need some feedback. Bought an '08 GS with 5200 miles and we are now sitting at 26.7K at present. I have been religious about maintenance. At the last "major" / 24K the guy that does my major services (not a dealership), but a BMW / KTM guru; told me he didn't like the color of the transmission oil. We agreed to check it after my latest trip...now 2500 miles later we check it again and again he thought the transmission oil was too discolored. He claims it has too much metal in it? Bike runs and shift great. Does this model year have known bearing issues or am I dealing with a overly paranoid motorcycle mechanic? Using Spectro.

The answer depends on what the oil actually looks like. Metal on the magnetic plug is a bad sign. Some metallic sheen on the oil might be bad. Muddy looking probably just signals some grease being washed out of the sealed bearings into the gear oil. This is typical when synthetic gear oil is used.

Can't comment on the year but if you are concerned, change the oil and send it out for particle analysis.

The answer depends on what the oil actually looks like. Metal on the magnetic plug is a bad sign. Some metallic sheen on the oil might be bad. Muddy looking probably just signals some grease being washed out of the sealed bearings into the gear oil. This is typical when synthetic gear oil is used.

thanks...makes sense. No particles on plug...no sheen on oil to speak of...just a bit muddy...just barely. Spectro full synthetic is being used.

thanks...makes sense. No particles on plug...no sheen on oil to speak of...just a bit muddy...just barely. Spectro full synthetic is being used.

I have seen several cases where fresh, new, synthetic gear oil turned a muddy brown in only a few hundred miles as grease washed out of the sealed bearings. I would keep my eye on things (change oil next engine oil change) but wouldn't worry about it much.

Back