• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cross Country Routes

Bradkap

Any suggestions for travel across the US going west with a stop at Mt. Rushmore; riding down the Oregon and California coasts (US 101 and CA 1); then returning from LA ?

Highway 2 through the Nebraska sand hills from Grand Island to Alliance is delightful. Then north to the Black Hills!!

I've always wanted to ride across along a northern route, thru Wisconsin & Minnesota, after crossing into Wisconsin from the U.P.
In general, I like to ride U.S. highways- local establishments like mom-n-pop motels & restaurants, funky old style attractions (think:World's Largest Ball of String), and stuff like that make such riding far more worthwhile than slabbing it.

you can run US 36 across much of the Great Plains (Indianapolis to Denver). It's not much for curves (everyone know the ONE s-curve in Kansas on that route?), but it's pleasant enough, keeps you off the I-states, and gives you some of that down-home Americana.

fwiw- If you posted your location in your profile, we'd have a better sense of where you're looking; north, central, south, etc.

Not sure where you'd be starting from, but if you're interested in a northern route, I just came back from the the rally in Oregon to SE Pennsylvania and took WA 14 along the Columbia R, ID 12 across Lolo Pass, 200 and 87 from Missoula to Havre, route 2 across MT and into SD, route 200 across SD and MN, route 2 across WI and into the UP of MI and across the Mackinaw Bridge. That route in reverse would be a nice way to go. It took me 6 days to do it. I would recommend you give Williston, ND a wide berth. With all the gas drilling, the traffic isn't a lot of fun. I was given this same piece of information and ignored it. :laugh

Thumbs up on previous post!

Did that exact same route mentioned above from East to West a couple of years ago. Rte 2 (The Highline) across Montana is an experience all of its own. A lot of time to ponder the meaning of life/your place in this crazy world with awesome scenery. Plus you get to see the Rockies grow, which was totally wild for an East Coast Boy heading west for the first time.

I've always wanted to ride across along a northern route, thru Wisconsin & Minnesota, after crossing into Wisconsin from the U.P.
In general, I like to ride U.S. highways- local establishments like mom-n-pop motels & restaurants, funky old style attractions (think:World's Largest Ball of String), and stuff like that make such riding far more worthwhile than slabbing it.
Thumbs up on the lesser traveled hiways and byways, we have a mantra for our trips that says, NO INTERSTATES and NO WALMARTs and NO CHAINS

When trip planning it basically equates to ride the back roads, stay away from the fast food, stay at the mom and pop motels or basic campgrounds, eat at small roadside diners and cafes and enjoy the journey. There are some days when you think you are the only people on earth because traffic is so light.

I find following those simple "rules" I have never had a bad ride. When the roads are boring or bland, there will always be something else to feed your interest.

Did that exact same route mentioned above from East to West a couple of years ago. Rte 2 (The Highline) across Montana is an experience all of its own. A lot of time to ponder the meaning of life/your place in this crazy world with awesome scenery. Plus you get to see the Rockies grow, which was totally wild for an East Coast Boy heading west for the first time.

I have to agree with Doug. We did the portion of this route from Michigan to Glacier NP a couple of years ago and it was awesome (except for tragic flooding in the Dakota's).

[/QUOTE] We did the portion of this route from Michigan to Glacier NP a couple of years ago and it was awesome.[/QUOTE]

+1 We did the same route last year traveling east to west and it is a relaxing and fast route. Hardly any traffic and the gendarmes don't even blink when you zip by at 80 MPH (once you are out of the city limits). Montana is HUGE!

Good Riding.

I would advise to stay away from the Williston ND area and if you go through do it during the day and get at least 100 miles away before looking for a room or campground. The area is crazy with oil/gas exploration. Hundreds of big trucks travelling at breakneck speeds.

We went through that area in 2011 and were told there had not been an open hotel room there for 2 years. Drove through Watford City which is about 80 miles south of there a couple weeks ago and same situation.

I would advise to stay away from the Williston ND area and if you go through do it during the day and get at least 100 miles away before looking for a room or campground. The area is crazy with oil/gas exploration. Hundreds of big trucks travelling at breakneck speeds.

We went through that area in 2011 and were told there had not been an open hotel room there for 2 years. Drove through Watford City which is about 80 miles south of there a couple weeks ago and same situation.

I went through Dickinson, ND (July 2013) they rooms but at three times the normal cost($$$).

ROC

North Dakota is a way better than South Dakota.

Highway 2 in the west is pretty boring IMO. Slab 94 is just as scenic plus no stops and high speed limit.

Avoid Chicago.

Cutting through the Great Lakes is interesting but it won't change your life.

Pennsylvania slab 80 is pretty beautiful but watch out for deer.

Try to cross the mountain passes during the day so you can enjoy them.

I just went across Highway 2 from Grand Forks, ND to interstate 15 in Montana on my way to Alaska. I rode right through Wiliston, ND. Make sure before you go that you have called THE HOTELS THEMSELVES several weeks ahead to book a room as they are filled with oil field workers. One minute you will be going 70 and the next 15 due to road construction. But I went through so I could get a first-hand look at what everyone was talking about.

Lots of heavy truck traffic for sure. Interesting experience. Other than that, Highway 2 was boring to me.

There is a lot to be said for the northern route, but if you like to explore more history along the ride, following the old Rte 66 can not be beat for a cross country trip.

Back