• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Implications of the wrong oil filter installed?

desotodino

I bought a 94 R100GS and when I removed the cover for the oil filter, I saw the black rubber ring sitting loosely against the oil filter. When I pulled out the oil filter, it was #11421337570 which I believe is the shorter hinged filter for bikes w/o oil coolers. According to the fiche, it should have been #11421337575. I had rode it about 70 miles this way but have no idea how long the PO had ridden it this way. The bike runs great, I"m just curious what the implications of running with a filter too short? Did this allow the oil to flow through and bypass the filter? Any oil pressure risk (never saw the light on while I was riding it).

No, you are fine, it would have become dirty faster, but otherwise, you are golden.

ken

I think you're fine too but if it bothers you, change the oil and filter now and again in 1000 miles and then forget about it.

I"m just curious what the implications of running with a filter too short? Did this allow the oil to flow through and bypass the filter?

Yes, the oil would have been bypassing the filter by flowing around it. But before you let that bother you too much, realize that some oil normally bypasses the filter.

Ken, do you actually have an Airhead, and are you familiar with the filters in question? I don't understand your response at all.

Back