• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Screaming Banshee (Stebel type) horn install advice? 2011 RT

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
Has anyone installed a Screaming Banshee (www.screaming-banshee.com)? Or a Stebel Nautilus horn? If so, could you post/message some pics as to where you mounted it?

I've got the horn and compressor separated, I'm just having a heck of a time trying to figure out where/how to mount it. Not much additional space on the RT.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Daryl

Daryl, I can't be much help but today I just finished installing Denali driving lights and while fishing wires under the tank and forward I noticed there's a lot more room than you'd think inside the right side tupperware. Sit on the ground next to the front tire, and face backward and look up inside the front of the side fairing area. Use a flashlight and you'll see wiring and such. There's also a 3/4" tubular framework you may be able to work off of for a mount. Also directly under the front (rider's) seat there's a vacant space just under the frame where a compressor might fit.

I installed my stebel horn on my RT with no problems at all. I removed the little dinky OEM horn and fashioned a bracket from a small piece of angle iron. Drilled two holes in the bracket and mounted the horn. I wouldn't recommend splitting the stebel apart as that just doubles the difficulty.

I installed my stebel horn on my RT with no problems at all. I removed the little dinky OEM horn and fashioned a bracket from a small piece of angle iron. Drilled two holes in the bracket and mounted the horn. I wouldn't recommend splitting the stebel apart as that just doubles the difficulty.

Was it necessary to use a relay, or can the ZFE handle the current draw of the air horn without problems?

Thanks

Was it necessary to use a relay, or can the ZFE handle the current draw of the air horn without problems?

Thanks

Since the stebel horn draws significantly more power than the OEM horn, your install needs to provide more electrical current to the Stebel than the OEM horn uses. Because of this, you'll need heavier gauge wire to carry that current. Bypass the ZFE by connecting directly to the battery or to a properly fused fuse block.

Most people use the OEM horn switch and wiring to trigger a relay which allows power to flow from the battery/fuse block. So, when you are done, the OEM horn switch operates the new horn. I'd suggest buying a pre-made wiring kit that includes the correct wire gauges and has the relay already wired in. As I recall, I've used the wiring kits from Eastern Beaver, but I'm sure there are others.

I've done several Stebel installs and always find the horn mounting process the most difficult part of the install and the electrical work the easiest. For my last one I found (after some serious digging) a very nicely made bracket made specifically for the GS and the Stebel Nautilaus horn.

I installed an air horn on an older Honda years ago by just swapping the original for the air horn and every time I blew the horn the fuse blew.
I don't know what would happen with a CANBUS system if it was too much draw but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

I installed an air horn on an older Honda years ago by just swapping the original for the air horn and every time I blew the horn the fuse blew.
I don't know what would happen with a CANBUS system if it was too much draw but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

The horn is on its own circuit. Overload the circuit and the ZFE will shut it down until you turn the ignition off and back on to reset the circuit.

Thank you Larry. That's what my intuition told me, but I really wasn't sure if the horn itself would take a hit.

On my R1200S, the horn w/o relay would work key-on but not running. I then installed the relay (wired to the fusebox that comes from the battery) and all was well.

Back