• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spot Locater Problem

reddog718

Touring alone most of the time I decided the Spot locater would be a smart investment. Ordered through Amazon for about $85, subscribed and initiated it per the instructions. It acquired the GPS and ran a test message fine. The next day (leaving on a 1200 mile trip to Salem) it failed to acquire a GPS signal. I tried every day of the eight day trip and it didn't once show a GPS light. Anybody else have experience (good or bad) with this thing?

I've had nothing but good experiences with my Spot... I normally put it in footprints mode and can see that it's working by going to the web and looking at where I have been.

I have the first version & have never had a satellite problem. Mine doesn't have a gps light indicator . I have the tracking so I can see it on the computer.

Touring alone most of the time I decided the Spot locater would be a smart investment. Ordered through Amazon for about $85, subscribed and initiated it per the instructions. It acquired the GPS and ran a test message fine. The next day (leaving on a 1200 mile trip to Salem) it failed to acquire a GPS signal. I tried every day of the eight day trip and it didn't once show a GPS light. Anybody else have experience (good or bad) with this thing?

If you are riding anywhere in the USA acquisition of satellites should not br an issue unless somewhere that mountain canyons or very dense overhead foliage is blocking signals. Try just sitting in your driveway by turning it on and then pressing the footprint button until it starts blinking in unison with the GPS button. Eventually you should see the 'mail' blink with the others to indicate the message being sent.

Dumb question: Have you set up the account and received positive confirmation at www.findmeSPOT.com via selecting the SPOT account tab and clicking the 'activate' link? This is where service options and personal information is set up. If so, I would be leaning to thinking there is a physical issue with your unit. Their support number is 1-866-651-7768. Have your device ESN and authorization code (located inder the battery compartment) ready if you do decide to call.

Yes, as mentioned in the original post I set up the account and received a good test message the day before departing. The morning of departure I turned the power on in exact same place in the driveway and the GPS light never came on (blinked). Daily attempts throughout the trip yielded the same results (no GPS light blinking after power turned on). I was hoping they would have a rep at the rally but no such luck. I'll call today and see what happens.
Thanks for the responses.

Touring alone most of the time...

If you are really concerned about safety, get a PLB and be done with it. You buy it and there are no subscription costs. In the end, the cost will be the same or less, except you are dealing with a professional system relied upon by aircraft, ships, etc. Plus you get global coverage.

spot 2

Got a spot 2 before leaving for Salem from St Louis. Worked great. Had it inside top trunk most of the way and worked fine. When stopped once in a while I would push the ok button. Tracking worked fine. Some friends and family enjoyed tracking and the emails it would send. They could tell exactly where I was or stopped and did away with all the checking in on the road.

Back