• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alaska anyone?

Would be a interesting ride, one make sure you don't have a bmw top case! Two I think somewhere in route you may have to replace tires not certain who would stock the correct ones
Send pic's

A few years back we ran into a fellow from San Diego who rode to Alaska on a 500cc Aprilla scoot. He was a retired church missionary who had spent most of his life in Norway. He was riding with two guys on Harleys running straight pipes. Probably had about the same HP output.

Adventure Cycle Works in Fairbanks is a great place to have tires changed in Alaska. You could have tires shipped to them and have the waiting for you, or you can contact them and they may order them and have them there. They provide 24/7 service in the summer.

http://www.advcycleworks.com/
+64? 54' 23.52", -147? 40' 9.27
Dan and Shawn Armstrong
dans40xc@hotmail.com 907-457-4259
shawn@advcycleworks.com 907-347-4329

There are also 2 BMW dealers in Alaska. Trails End in Fairbanks and The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage.

Last edited:
Would be a interesting ride, one make sure you don't have a bmw top case! Two I think somewhere in route you may have to replace tires not certain who would stock the correct ones
Send pic's

Why do you say not to use a BMW top case. I'm a new RT owner and am planning a trip to Alaska.

Mike

BMW, just recalled the mounting bracket for the scooter, seems a couple have broken off. Does NOT affect other models of BMW bikes.

Top case mount recalled, if you do not have a bmw case no recall
Side stand issue, mounting bolts need to be removed and tightened with loctite
Some issues have occurred with fuel gauges, mostly with European bikes

Has anyone taken their bmw scoot to Alaska yet, or plan to?

DW

It has been on my 'to-do' list for years. But all my friends were married & it just didn't fit their plans...and I kept putting off going alone. Now all my friends have quit riding, and I still don't relish going alone. I talked to a guy from Alaska & he advised not going alone, and not without a gun :nono, [animals like bears] But getting one across the borders & back is all but impossible now...[as I understand it]

I don't camp, and motel budget stalled some others that considered it in more recent years.. I have ridden to & in 47 of the fifty states. Missing Alaska, Hawaii , & for some reason Road Island? Might get that one done this spring...:blush....getting to Hawaii could prove problematic .....:D

It has been on my 'to-do' list for years. But all my friends were married & it just didn't fit their plans...and I kept putting off going alone. Now all my friends have quit riding, and I still don't relish going alone. I talked to a guy from Alaska & he advised not going alone, and not without a gun :nono, [animals like bears] But getting one across the borders & back is all but impossible now...[as I understand it]

I don't camp, and motel budget stalled some others that considered it in more recent years.. I have ridden to & in 47 of the fifty states. Missing Alaska, Hawaii , & for some reason Road Island? Might get that one done this spring...:blush....getting to Hawaii could prove problematic .....:D

I lived in AK for 16 years and have been up and down the ALCAN over a dozen times. Never carried a weapon while riding. I own several weapons.

I was specifically wondering

if any anyone had taken a new BMW scooter to Alaska. But on your other point, take a couple cans of bear spray; that will get varmits, two legged and four running the other way. You could always take a 12ga shotgun; you can get it across with proper paper work. You probably don't need one until you need one.

DW

if any anyone had taken a new BMW scooter to Alaska. But on your other point, take a couple cans of bear spray; that will get varmits, two legged and four running the other way. You could always take a 12ga shotgun; you can get it across with proper paper work. You probably don't need one until you need one.

DW

I apologize , I took 'scoot' as a general slang [I.E. motorcycle...] wasn't an attempt to thread steal.

Were all scooters involved in the recall? I have a 2013 C650GT and have not yet seen a recall notice.

This recall is only for scooters sold before May 2013. Everyone received the notice even if they did not have a top box. I am in Canada and had my scooter since last october and did not purchase my top box here (I bought it in Detroit and installed it myself so BMW Canada did not know I had one).

As for the recall on the side stand I have not had any notice on it. I think this is only if the owner of the scooter has had an issue of the engine stalling on them.

Now for the issue of the fuel gauge, in Canada we have the European scooters and I have not had any problem with the fuel gauge.

Back