• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 R1200RT-P parking light bulb

danix

I give up. How do I get to the damn bulb?
I've removed bodywork. Replaced main headlight bulbs.
Removed mirror assemblies.
Tried removing speakers (solid behind there).
Still no obvious way to get to those bulbs. This is driving me crazy and my hands are bloodied and scraped to heck.

I'll answer my own question.

The mirror assembly (plastic and glass panel) pop off easily, which is why they sell tethers to hold them in place.
You do NOT want to pop the glass off the mirror mechanism, which I did on one side (shattering the mirror).

Once the mirror assembly is off, at the top you will see two torx screws, which hold on the "nacelle". That's French for "which German $#%# engineer came up with this system?" or in English the small pieces of bodywork atop the signals.
With these removed, you will see the parking light wiring and holder. Rotate about 45 degrees and it will pop out, pull the bulb and replace.

I'm learning...

Because I don't want you to think no one reads your posts, I'll respond.

Correct. :wave

Couldn't respond yesterday because I was working....

Hahaha. Thanks Steve. I swear changing bulbs on this bike has got to be the most complicated repair job (so far).

On the topic of bulbs, BMW calls for a W5W.
That would be a #194 bulb, but other posts here or in another forum recommended the use of a #168, which is slightly brighter as it draws a tiny bit more voltage.
I went with an amber bulb for visibility, and the new bulbs are not as bright as what was in there (well, the one working bulb). Not sure if this is because of the amber, or because the info about the #168 being brighter is incorrect.
Whatever was in there is unmarked, and I have a feeling if I replace these again, I'll go LED.

On the topic of bulbs, BMW calls for a W5W.
That would be a #194 bulb.

Actually, the entire world save for the USA calls them W5W.

The owners manual for my 2012 has instructions for replacing park light bulb.

So does the owners manual for the OP's bike. The fact it's an ex-Police bike makes no difference and the OP can still order an owner's manual at a BMW dealer.

I did check the manual - perhaps the year was wrong, but what they described (removing the mirror) was for the turn signal bulb.

Parking bulbs are one thing but you need to be awareof another BMW difference should you think you can randomly sub LEDs elsewhere.

Your bike has a central computer system that monitors current draw and serves as automatic fuses (which is why it has no traditional fuses except what might be there for add ons). Called by it's German abbreviation, the ZFE will display an annoying "bulb out"" alarm on your dash with many types of LED substitutions, unless the bulb or device in question is designed to mimic the current draw of the original bulb or is close enough not to trip the unpublished monitoring limits of the ZFE. Unless you're willing to reseach bulb alternates carefully, its best to stick with oem types or the US equivalent number. (My 08RT is using a halogen parking bulb which is brighter because it is more efficent at the same current- but those bulbs are hard to find and perhaps currently unavailable).

Ah yes, similar to the headlight monitoring system used in many Audis back in the day.
Thanks racer7, will definitely keep that in mind.

I did check the manual - perhaps the year was wrong, but what they described (removing the mirror) was for the turn signal bulb.

That is the correct procedure. First remove the Mirror (pull it off) then the triangular piece of painted tupperware held by two Torx T25 screws. This reveals a rectangular access port to get at the bulbs (small hands are of value here). You may need a flashlight to see the socket but at least they thought ahead and there is a handy lever on the socket to help get them out. Fish the socket and wire out the hole, change the bulb and put everything back the way it was. I changed both bulbs - the first lasted 70,000 Km.

P.S. I substituted with a #194 available at Auto Value stores in Canada for $0.94 CAN each. Their part number was WKO194.

Last edited:
just wait

now that you've learned to change the parking bulb ( with frustration) just wait until you try putting in a new left side low beam headlight.

Believe it or not I got all the headlight bulbs in OK (with skinned knuckles and lots of small cuts!)

Back