• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1987 K100LT Throttle positioning switch

timborn

How do you test the TPS?
I hear it click but how do i know the click is making something happen?
Bike runs great but I smell fuel in the exhaust when I start it up cold.
Thanks,
Tim

The TPS has nothing to do with the smell. My 91 K75Rt smells the same. I think the reason is that our JETRONIC? systems are not as advanced as the later MOTRONIC? systems.

If your TPS is broken, your bike will routinely backfire when you close the throttle and engine brake for 5-10 seconds, as when descending a hill.

If you want to test this, you can unplug the TPS and try some engine braking. In normal riding, the bike runs just fine without the TPS; some say better.

You can also check the TPS by unplugging the cable and using an ohmmeter to check continuity between the middle pin and the outer pins. One of the outer pins will show continuity with the throttle closed, the other with the throttle fully open. (I don't remember which is which.)

If your TPS is broken, your bike will routinely backfire when you close the throttle and engine brake for 5-10 seconds, as when descending a hill.

If you want to test this, you can unplug the TPS and try some engine braking. In normal riding, the bike runs just fine without the TPS; some say better.

You can also check the TPS by unplugging the cable and using an ohmmeter to check continuity between the middle pin and the outer pins. One of the outer pins will show continuity with the throttle closed, the other with the throttle fully open. (I don't remember which is which.)
Thanks for the information

Back