• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT-P aux battery. Replace or toss?

danix

Figured out how to get the aux battery out.
  • remove all front bodywork
  • loosen and pivot away gas tank (after draining some fuel)
  • remove tupperware cover

It appears the battery is the same as the main battery, so an Odyssey PC680 will fit and work just fine.
I was just about to order one but am now questioning why I'd spend the $120.
I know some people like the idea of being able to jumpstart themselves, and it would be good for running high current accessories.
But, I plan to add better horns and some lights for visibility, that's likely it.
I don't think I'd add a stereo which I think goes in that spot, but it's less weight up top which will likely aid handling.

Anything I've missed?

I caved and ordered another PC680. If I'm going to keep it a cop bike, I might as well take advantage of the extra features.
Plus, it occured to me that if I want to use the aux lighting switches already in place, those are wired off the aux battery. At least I think so.

And as I was unpacking the newly delivered battery, I wondered why the heck I would stick so much weight up high, and how I don't have any high power accessories to drive.
So, I taped up the cables and tucked them down, and will just use it without for now.
One thing I'm not sure - I suspect if I want to use some of the "cop switches" those will not work without the aux battery to complete the circuit. I'll get around to testing that one of these days.
Meanwhile, if anyone local to me needs a new PC680 let me know, I can't return it.

IIRC, the RT-P aux battery only was used for the police lights and radio to keep them going during traffic stops and other stationary duties, and the main battery was for starting the bike and the standard civilian electrics. So I see not much benefit to buying a new second battery if all the police lights are now gone... Also, depending on how the bike was stripped to be auctioned off, there may or may not any longer be the internal wiring to and from the places where the extra lights were...

You can add several accessories to the bike by wiring a fuse block directly to the main battery and working off that fuse block. Horns only draw when you sound them, and modern aux lights mostly use LEDs which draw almost nothing. Even if not LEDs, you won't be stressing out the main battery. I'd just sell the second battery and enjoy the extra storage compartment for toll tag, wallet, gloves, glasses, phone, etc.

IIRC, the RT-P aux battery only was used for the police lights and radio to keep them going during traffic stops and other stationary duties, and the main battery was for starting the bike and the standard civilian electrics. So I see not much benefit to buying a new second battery if all the police lights are now gone... Also, depending on how the bike was stripped to be auctioned off, there may or may not any longer be the internal wiring to and from the places where the extra lights were...

You can add several accessories to the bike by wiring a fuse block directly to the main battery and working off that fuse block. Horns only draw when you sound them, and modern aux lights mostly use LEDs which draw almost nothing. Even if not LEDs, you won't be stressing out the main battery. I'd just sell the second battery and enjoy the extra storage compartment for toll tag, wallet, gloves, glasses, phone, etc.

That's what I figured. Yeah, the aux battery only charges when the bike is moving over a certain speed apparently. They did indeed remove the lights and the wiring is cut, but if I decide to use the factory switches, I'm hoping some of that can be reused or rewired.

Back