• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sidecar help in Florida

radrider

RadRider
I attended the sidecar seminars at the Rally and it has grabbed my interest. Where can I get help with training and is there a reputable company/person to build a sidecar rig in Florida or Southeast USA?

Sidecar info

Look on the internet for a book called Driving a Sidecar outfit (Yellow Book) its about $40.00 and a must have for novice sidecar owners. I had Hannigan build my Sidecar, but there are others out there. You may want to buy a used sidecar and set it up yourself. Yellow book tells you how. Good luck. Kenny...

Evergreen safety council has/had a few training centers in FL, you can google them to find the info. No builders around here, check Hannigan in Kentucky or claude Stanley at Freedom Sidecars in PA.
also check the Hacks forum on ADVRider for lots of info.
The "Yellow Book" is an excellent investment.

You can find a copy of the yellow book for download (free) on sovietsteeds.com

It's a Ural forum but has lots of good information.

Go to the Newbie Questions and look at the top of the listings for Sidecar Manuals for Newbs.

Just a reminder, your reflexes for a normal motorcycle will try and kill you, you have to drive them :wave

Here is a link to purchase the highly acclaimed "Yellow Book" from David Hough... http://www.whitehorsegear.com/driving-a-sidecar-outfit-2nd-edition
I'm a fan of having the real copy in my hand(s) when I undertake a project like the one you are thinking of.
If you get going on it, perhaps you can document the process for us here on the forum.
Good luck.
Gary

YES! Support the Author! Besides Mr. Hough being one of us (MOA) it's the right thing to do!
Perhaps the "BOOTLEG" link can/should "disappear?

Not spamming the bike, but there is a K1 Sidehack for sale in the fleamarket that was built by Mr. Hough.
Pretty good article by him about the build of the hack on the website listed.
It was auctioned off for charity at one of the Nationals.
Maybe someone can remember the year?

Kne

Support an author who has supported the MC and SC communities at large, and BMWMOA in particular--buy the Yellow Book, don't download some bootleg copy. You can also hit the USCA website (United Sidecar Association) and download some of the free manuals by Hal Kendal, USCA founder. Linky is: http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Best,

GTRider

YES! Support the Author! Besides Mr. Hough being one of us (MOA) it's the right thing to do!
Perhaps the "BOOTLEG" link can/should "disappear?

Actually my error. The sovietsteeds site has an older Ural specific manual for download (for the 650 machines, but lots of good exercises), and the links to the Whitehorse press for the Yellow Book. (Cost with shipping is $41.95)

I attended the sidecar seminars at the Rally and it has grabbed my interest. Where can I get help with training and is there a reputable company/person to build a sidecar rig in Florida or Southeast USA?

I'd suggest you check out the United Sidecar Association (USCA) forum. Dedicated completely to sidecars of all kinds with world wide membership. Very helpful folks.

Back