• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

pretty good bike theft prevention idea from a harley forum

f14rio

I use a Kawasaki bike cover.

I got the bike cover free when I bought my old Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Nomad.

It fits my new Harley Ultra perfectly.

I think they see Kawasaki and they just keep moving.

Last edited:
You have the right idea. Recently when crossing the border at Brownsville, I asked the Border Patrol Agent about safety in Mexico. He pointed to the BMW logo on my R1200GS and said "...that will be getting their attention..."

We have a very nice four-bike enclosed trailer. We had it custom painted but instead of motorcycle logos, it now proudly proclaims "Pap's Septic System Cleaning and Removal Service," and "Do Not Follow Within 100 Feet."
Seems to have worked so far.

Cover in and of itelf is a theft deterrent regardless of what logo it features.

Time delay in knowing what's under it, time to get it off (BMW covers don't come off easy) and just getting the cover off may be enough to activate burglar alarm.

Besides theft deterrence I'd consider them good deterrence to vandalism, too. Little harder to key the gas tank, for example.

This all more important I think, than weather and other protection from nature.

BMW cover packs up bigger than some tents, however.

Anything you can do to delay the thieves is helpful.

More Kawasakis are stolen than Harleys, however. (Yes, I know that's because there are more Kawasakis on the road.) Generally, though, I think the brand name on the cover is likely irrelevant. It's the cover that helps.

Anything you can do to delay the thieves is helpful.

More Kawasakis are stolen than Harleys, however. (Yes, I know that's because there are more Kawasakis on the road.) Generally, though, I think the brand name on the cover is likely irrelevant. It's the cover that helps.

Not sure if Kawasaki sells more bikes than HD. I think HD outsells all of them in this country, no?

I have a real nice breathable cove that fit my Ultra. It fits the 1200RT also. I am going to paint over the Harley logo. Hope that helps.

We have a very nice four-bike enclosed trailer. We had it custom painted but instead of motorcycle logos, it now proudly proclaims "Pap's Septic System Cleaning and Removal Service," and "Do Not Follow Within 100 Feet."
Seems to have worked so far.

Love it! Reminds me of my son-in-law's name for his wireless modem/internet connection "freevirusdownload"

Not sure if Kawasaki sells more bikes than HD. I think HD outsells all of them in this country, no?

For street bikes, HD has 50% of the US market. The other half belongs to all the rest. We're probably not talking KLR covers.

Few years ago Annie an I were in Whirehorse at the same time as a regional HOG rally. There were over 100 Harley's in the parking lot along with our two BMWs. As I was walking away from my bike I remembered I had left my keys in the ignition. As I pulled them out a nearby Harley rider said, "Don't worry, ain't nobody going to steal those bikes."

The old adage "out of sight, out of mind" seems to apply here.
anything one can do to reduce the visibility of a bike, or whatever, is going to go a lot farther than just leaving everything in plain sight.
In the end, a truly dishonest person whose intent is to steal from you, isn't going to be deterred by anything, much less a cover. If "they" want it, they will get it.

Harleys

I agree that Harley has done an excellent job of manufacturing a wide line of clothing and accessories for their brand. When the temperature took an unexpected upward spike on a ride through Delaware two years ago, I found myself without any summer weight gloves. I stopped at a large Harley dealership (on a Sunday, yet) near Dover, DE and found a pair of mesh gloves that fit well, were reasonably priced and seemed like they would flow air well. When I got home, I did some "surgery" to remove the Harley brand from the back of the gloves.

I sometimes visit the local Harley dealer, which also happens to stock Triumphs, a bike that I have loved since boyhood when my best friend's brother purchased a 1961 Bonneville. I once wandered into the Harley section, and a salesman jumped at the opportunity to show me the bikes. I told him that I rode a BMW and was accustomed to the pegs under saddle riding accommodation. He quickly pointed out my error and explained that the Harley, pegs-forward was the only way to ride. I told him that I didn't think I could adjust to that style for two reasons: 1. I use my legs to grip the tank and balance or shift my weight in turning/leaning the bike and the pegs under construction seem to fit that riding style; 2. I have a 28 inch inseam and I did not believe I could extend my legs that far forward to reach the pegs.

He said, "Ridiculous," and had me sit on the bike. To his surprise, he discovered I was correct. I was about two inches short of reaching the forward pegs and I could only reach them if I reclined on the seat. He then tried to recover from this revelation by telling me that the pegs were adjustable, although he was not sure if they could accommodate my short legs. I politely declined any further sales presentation. I am sure he categorized me as a Harley hater, which I am not. They have a huge following and if they are what turns you on, more power to you. They are just not for me.

Bill

The cover idea is a good one and does work, especially if there are a lot of uncovered bikes around. Story:last night of Americade a couple years back I was staying at the Holiday Inn second floor facing the rear parking lot. Lots of people around and about when I retire about 11:30. Wake up around 02:30 and all is still and quiet except for two guys walking through the various vehicles parked all over. These ner'do'wells were shopping other peoples stuff and obviously paid no attention to the covered bikes. They attempted to open the tour-pak(H-D) on my bike which contained helmets and jackets etc. I asked out loud if they found anything that they liked, must have heard me through the vent system because they disappeared. I called the police, then sat in a chair and guarded our bikes until morning. Cover would have been easier.

Few years ago Annie an I were in Whirehorse at the same time as a regional HOG rally. There were over 100 Harley's in the parking lot along with our two BMWs. As I was walking away from my bike I remembered I had left my keys in the ignition. As I pulled them out a nearby Harley rider said, "Don't worry, ain't nobody going to steal those bikes."

I've always felt BMW's were basically theftproof.

I always joked about it and said that if I parked my R90/6 with the keys in it, not only would it still be there tomorrow morning, there would be an envelope on the seat with cash donations inside so I could buy a real bike..........The more people there are who don't like BMW's, the safer my bike is.......Rod.

In the 15 years I've had bmw's and participated on several sites I have heard of 1 BMW being stolen. For all I know the owner might have forgotten where he parked it. In any event, it doesn't seem to be a real problem.

Back