• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

800 Buzzy around 5K ST? GT? GS?

Bdiver

Sign Guy
I was lucky enough to get a demo ride on an 800 GS at the rally. The bike handled like a dream, quick acceleration, good ergos and I noticed a bit of buzzing around the 5K rpm which seemed to vibrate through the entire bike (hand grips, seat, tank, and really heavy on the foot pegs).

We could only reach a speed of roughly 65 mph and there wasn't much of a buzz in the foot pegs but out west in most states we can zip along at 75 with ease, I figured the rpm would be about 5K so I down shifted and took it up to that RPM.

My question is - Does anyone else feel that type of vibration at that RPM and speed (~75)? It seems like a perfect bike up to 65 mph and lower rpm's. Does this happen on the GT? ST?

Thanks for your help,

I read a lot of reviews and articles before I bought my new GT a week ago and most of them brought up the vibration issue. I have put 600+ miles on so far and I don't consider it a problem at all because it's no worse than my 1200GS (117,000+miles) and as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue. The only thing I can find so far is the engine heat from the left side that seems to be ducted directly to my crotchel (is that a word?) area. It will probably come in handy for the brutal Arizona winters (all two weeks) but I might have to find some Nomex skivvies until then.

Max

Yep 5k is the point where there is some vibration. From previous post on other blogs....it does seem worse for some people.

I have 2010 F650GS twin...and 5k rpm equals 85mph. I don't feel it is bad (pun) at all and in fact I feel the twin is much smoother than my last R1100RT.

I have a 2010 F800GS and it was buzzy too. But I ride it on many two lane highways because it takes a long time to get to the off-pavement places, so I replaced the front sprocket with a larger 17 tooth unit instead of the stock 16 tooth. It moved the vibration point higher on the speedometer, so highway cruising is about half as buzzy. It also improved fuel economy from 44 to 50 mpg. Of course, slow speed work is a bit more difficult. I can sit for hours with out a sore behind.

My bike has about 20,500 miles on it now. It vibrates much less as the miles piled on. By the time it had about 12k-13k on the odometer, it was much better. Like my old R1200, it took thousands of miles to break in and the old R1200 vibrated when it was new, then turned glassy at about 14k miles. The F800 still vibrates of course, but I don't travel over 95 mph that often. I also get about 54 mpg now that is broken in.

buzzy at 5K

I was lucky enough to get a demo ride on an 800 GS at the rally. The bike handled like a dream, quick acceleration, good ergos and I noticed a bit of buzzing around the 5K rpm which seemed to vibrate through the entire bike (hand grips, seat, tank, and really heavy on the foot pegs).

We could only reach a speed of roughly 65 mph and there wasn't much of a buzz in the foot pegs but out west in most states we can zip along at 75 with ease, I figured the rpm would be about 5K so I down shifted and took it up to that RPM.

My question is - Does anyone else feel that type of vibration at that RPM and speed (~75)? It seems like a perfect bike up to 65 mph and lower rpm's. Does this happen on the GT? ST?

Thanks for your help,

I have a 2013 F800GT which now has 3K miles. At speeds above 70 MPH there is noticable vibration throught the bike. At 75 MPH the vibration is considerable. But the fact remains (for me at least) that vibration is the only downside to the bike. I love everything else about it. Overall riding comfort, powerful enough, and very light on it's feet.
Just my $0.02
mm

I have a F800GT with 14k miles. No real buzzing. At 4500 rpm, doing 75 mph, at 5000 rpm, doing around 82-83 mph (GPS speeds, indicated speeds are about 5 mph faster) No buzzing noticed. Will get some if engine is under a load, ie pulling a grade or into a strong headwind.

bob

Good lord.

Somebody must have cut their teeth on 4 cylinder bikes here.

A good motorcycle is gonna have SOME feel to it. One of the things I like best about my 800S is that you can feel the motor. Yes, I guess some folks call this "buzz" but I like it. No sewing machine bikes for me.

Everybody is different. If you want silky smooth, the 360 degree vertical twin may not be your cup of tea. Try a Triumph 800 triple. It's much less buzzy and more like a finely-oiled sewing machine.

I been motorcycle-raised on Harleys, Guzzis and classic Triumph twins.

Back