• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

High mileage RTP.

georgej

There is an RTP in my area for sale.2002,98,000 miles,price is lowered to $2000.The current owner has service records from the previous owner.He told me he never quite liked the bike and prefers a cruiser style motorcycle.He has owned it about two years and rode it only a few times. Any opinions on this?I just don't want to buy a money pit. I know the saying"nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW.
George

Assuming it was used as a service bike, and its actual value is somewhere around $2000, I would run as fast as you can away from it. I know some people love their RT-Ps but I have seen some really beat ones and the electrical butchery (both in turning it into an RT-P and then removing some of the equipment before resale) can be extreme. They are often ridden very hard by people who don't own them and may not even like them (wish their department had Harleys instead, so they try to make the Beemers look bad). Seen it, had to maintain them, etc.

OTOH if it was never used as a police bike, and those bikes are out there, then it might be really nice.

98k miles is not THAT high mileage, so I suspect the bike is not in very good condition. They were typically in service for 60k miles and then sold.

EDIT: thought you said 88k miles.

If you are looking for one, a friend (former president of our local club) has one for sale:

1998 R1100RTP an actual CHIPS bike, newer Metzler Z-8s, Stebel air horn, Mayer seat (plus original seat) PIAA driving lights controlled by European light switch found on throttle side, LED fog lights, SignalMinder, has two BMW accessory plugs and two standard accessory plugs, new clutch with less than 10k on it. It has a dual battery system. Current miles 60,560. It has full size custom painted lids on the side cases and the original city lids that could be re-installed. Lots of extras to throw in. Asking $4500.

If interested, PM me and I will provide you with Email and phone # for him. Due to vision problems he is having to give up motorcycling.

Ken

I would base my decision on the condition of the bike. If it runs good and looks good, I wouldn't worry about the miles.

The flip side is that for $2k you can part it out and probably not lose money if you're up for the work. The wheels, seat, forks, ABS unit, headlight, driveshaft, FD and handlebars are probably in some sort of demand. Transmission not so much, but I have seen references to some RT-Ps having the enduro transmission which is possible for that year and the enduro transmission does have some demand.

Anton, it is my understanding that the RTP had an RS transmission to provide a bit better acceleration through lower gearing....
You would know a lot more about this than I do as I'm only going on "what I've heard".
Were the enduro, and RS transmissions the same animal?

Thanks,
Ken

I'm really not looking for an RTP or an RT for that matter.My brother was at the garage sale where the bike was parked with a for sale sign on it.So i went to take a look.He has it priced at $2500,but said his rock bottom was $2000.He bought it from a guy that bought it from the Maryland State Police with 70,000 miles on the clock.He toured the country on it a few times,then sold it to the present owner,who says it's not his style of motorcycle.He's moving in 10 days and doesn't want to take the bike with him.Maybe as it gets closer to the move date he will take even less.I'll wait and see I guess.

A motivated seller is the best kind! Show up one evening this week with 12 crisp hundred-dollar bills and it'll probably be yours.

High mileage RTP

I like that bringing $1500.00 idea (with maybe another hundred in $20's in your pocket too). If the bike is unadvertised and he's just selling it at a garage sale you have nothing to lose if it runs and doesn't have issues.
I have my eye on a Triumph with a sidecar in the garage of a local hoarder. I've never seen the whole bike, only the fender of the sidecar. It is buried under so much stuff (hundreds of VW parts, about 50 lawn mowers, etc) that is hasn't seen the sun in 20 years. He's having a garage sale soon which I suspect might just be a way to get free help to clear out his garage. I'll be helping him do that. Maybe a find like yours? Except yours "runs".
That type of mileage is nothing on these bikes if they were fleet maintained.

Back